Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

FINALLY FINISHED & INSTALLED - Carbon Fibered My Center Console @ home! - Pics !

Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
FINALLY FINISHED & INSTALLED - Carbon Fibered My Center Console @ home! - Pics !

Me again Sharing another project that I will not do again !

For any who remember my first CF @ home project . . .

. . . . I caught some heat because I had CF and my Walnut trim in the truck at the same time. So, I had bought a complete set of tan / silver trim from fleabay and set about Carbon Fibering the bigger bits. After 4 months I FINALLY finished the center console. Obviously it was not 4 months of work, just forgot about it as it was not coming out right. With an urging from my oldest, I went back at it and finished it last weekend. I will say this - NEVER AGAIN! This piece was a *****. I assumed it would be easy as it was nice and flat. Well, the stupid hole around the cup holder is beveled all around the edge and I spent days getting it right. Then I had issues with the Resin receding . . .

. . . . which I finally resolved with a VERY hot heat gun. Overall, a major pain.

I also decided to install the entire silver kit and put my entire walnut kit up for sale (trim, steering wheel, shifter - will post link when its up). My steering wheel is the last piece of walnut in the truck. If someone can send me instructions for its removal, it will be a MAJOR HELP. I will be replacing it with a CF wheel, and given all the crap I do myself, my guess is swapping the wheel cant be too bad (gulp). Also planning on a CF shifter.

So - On to the pics:

Here is the original kit I bought of ebay:

As I needed the Drink cover for this project so it had to be painted. Color bond saves the day again. I bought it originally for fixing the interior peeling problems on my kids SLK - So far it has worked better then OEM and its a perfect color match. Really worked out well for this project.

Here is the final assembled unit.

And again now in its natural habitat . . .

And of course - here is the last piece of walnut which will be gone soon!

The wheel above and whats below will be up for sale by tomorrow

Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Looks good. Not sure I'd have the patience or skill to pull that off. Nicely done. How much are you selling the walnut trim for minus the steering wheel? My interior is black and that wheel wouldn't match but I really like the trim.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mama'sCayenne
Looks good. Not sure I'd have the patience or skill to pull that off. Nicely done. How much are you selling the walnut trim for minus the steering wheel? My interior is black and that wheel wouldn't match but I really like the trim.
Thanks Mama - Sent you a PM.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
loveivs is on a distinguished road
Good Job mate!

Centre console looks fantastic ! WoWWW!
Pls CF all interior trim, your car will look god damn cool!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
codey is on a distinguished road
That is some quality work. I like it.

Not to hijack the thread but....

Do you know if there is anything out there - like Colorbond - that will match the grey Porsche interior?

Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by codey
That is some quality work. I like it.

Not to hijack the thread but....

Do you know if there is anything out there - like Colorbond - that will match the grey Porsche interior?
Here is color bonds site (where I bought my CB from): http://www.colorbondtuner.net/cart/core.cgi?p=Colorbond

They do not list Porsche but they do have lots of grays. You can probably email the company and ask them if they can help. The great thing about CB is it sprays like paint, is flexible and is soft to the touch (almost, but not quite, rubberized). It also sticks to plastic like a wife on a new amex platinum.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 PM
pepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to beholdpepper09tt is a splendid one to behold
Impressive job
Very clean
Looks at least as good as a factory one

Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Just posted my trim kit for sale (trim / shifter / steering wheel option) for a VERY DISCOUNTED PRICE!! Here is the link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3115659

Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 AM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
Nice work...looks fantastic. Did you look into Di-Noc vinyl before going with real carbon fiber? That vinyl is amazing in look and application. I was thinking of doing my hood with it.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by quattrotman
Nice work...looks fantastic. Did you look into Di-Noc vinyl before going with real carbon fiber? That vinyl is amazing in look and application. I was thinking of doing my hood with it.
Yup! I have a roll of the stuff in my garage. It looks and works great for what it is, but don't let anyone tell you that it looks "just like CF".

Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Available for sale now also on ebay (sans the steering wheel which will be listed later).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=200574002935

Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
quattrotman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by roxboxxx
Yup! I have a roll of the stuff in my garage. It looks and works great for what it is, but don't let anyone tell you that it looks "just like CF".
Yeah, you're right...I do like the look of it though. It has a steathy matte textured look to it.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by quattrotman
Yeah, you're right...I do like the look of it though. It has a steathy matte textured look to it.
The next time I mix up some resin, I will try a test piece of 3M and see what it looks like. It might come out well or it might melt the dloc
We will see.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
dinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond reputedinorocz has a reputation beyond repute
looks awesome, and by the looks of it you may want to quit your day job and just do custom CF work. great job man!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by dinorocz
looks awesome, and by the looks of it you may want to quit your day job and just do custom CF work. great job man!
Thanks Dino - working with this stuff is real love/hate. You love it when its done, but hate it to no end when working with it. Someday I will build a vacuum molder and vacuum pot setup and do this stuff right.

My next project will be to try and make a custom dash pot to hold an ODBii gauge. If I fail at that, the pics will never see the light of day

PS - I just bought a CF steering wheel so somebody please buy my wood kit !!!! (in my best video professor voice).

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FINALLY FINISHED & INSTALLED - Carbon Fibered My Center Console @ home! - Pics !