Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne GTS vs Audi RS4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:59 AM
DUR
DUR is on a distinguished road
Cayenne GTS vs Audi RS4

Hi all:

I'm about to swap my current Audi RS4 Avant b7 for a Cayenne GTS. I need more space and want to travel with greater comfort with the family.

I've read a lot about the GTS, and even though gas mileage has never been an issue (not with my RS4 nor my previous cars), everybody tells me the GTS is enormously thirsty.

That much????? Much more than my RS4?????

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
Not really ... what do you consider bad? You can probably get between 15-18mpg (i would guess).

I don't remember filling mine up all the time when I had it.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
14 is my average both highway and city on 2008 GTS

Old 02-07-2011, 03:38 AM
DUR
Thank you for the replies.

Given that I'm from Spain, what mileage would that be in litres per kilometre? Sorry, not used at all to speaking in miles per gallon...

Cheers.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 AM
Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !Fantasma Is a GOD !
5.6 - 7.2km per litre

Old 02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DUR
Hi all:

I'm about to swap my current Audi RS4 Avant b7 for a Cayenne GTS. I need more space and want to travel with greater comfort with the family.

I've read a lot about the GTS, and even though gas mileage has never been an issue (not with my RS4 nor my previous cars), everybody tells me the GTS is enormously thirsty.

That much????? Much more than my RS4?????

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.
I went from an RS4 to a Cayenne GTS also. The Cayenne's fuel economy is slightly worse but not by much.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 PM
dhwlaw is on a distinguished road
Are you glad you made the switch? I'm thinking of getting an '11 or '12 CTT. Any details comparing driving experience/trade offs would be great.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-09-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: not enough posts and not in open forum
Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 AM
DUR
Originally Posted by S-B-D
I went from an RS4 to a Cayenne GTS also. The Cayenne's fuel economy is slightly worse but not by much.
Are you happy with the change?

I'll probably test drive the GTS this week so as to make my final decision. Are there big performance gaps between both cars?

Thank you again for your help.

Cheers.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 PM
S-B-D will become famous soon enoughS-B-D will become famous soon enough
A lot depends on your expectations.....

For an SUV, the Cayenne GTS is extremely capable and satisfying. The handling is simply astonishing for something it's size. It pulls hard and sounds great.

Comparing it head to head with the RS4, however, is a difficult proposition. The RS4 is a premium level small sport sedan, and in an absolute sense, will outperform the Cayenne, except possibly, the new gen turbo. Likewise, there is very little out there, regardless of price, that will duplicate the subjective feel of the RS4's incredible motor. That said, the steering feel in the GTS is just as good, if not better than the RS4. The stock exhaust note in the GTS is more aggressive than the stock RS4 exhaust too. Both cars have a sport mode, but the sport mode in the GTS does MUCH more in terms of sound and throttle re-mapping than the RS4's sport mode. My GTS has air suspension and PDCC and the objective cornering speeds are extremely close to what I could do in the RS4. The high level of adjustibility in ride, throttle and handling settings is also a huge plus. In comfort mode, sport-off, PSM on, it is a fairly comfy cruiser/family hauler. Engage sport mode, sport suspension, turn the PSM off and put it into manual shift, and this thing is an absolute beast.

I used to have a 2006 Cayenne S when I had my RS4, and I got rid of both vehicles and replaced it with a single GTS. I would say the GTS is a perfect blend of the RS4 and Cayenne S. For the time being, I wanted just one vehicle, and this fit the bill.

There is also something inherently contradictory, and therefore appealing to me, about an SUV that looks and goes like the Cayenne GTS.

If you have driven other SUV's the Cayenne GTS will amaze you. While it doesn't have the sheer thrust of the turbo, the power is certainly sufficient, and the vehicle feels more raw and precise, much in the same way the 911 GT3 compares to the 911 turbo.

So in the end, it is not the RS4, but it is unrealistic to expect it to be. However, do I feel like it is a huge letdown? Absolutely not!!! I am very satisfied with it, but as I said, a lot depends on your expectations.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 PM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
Similarly, I had a highly modified 600hp Audi S4 and a Touareg V8. I sold both and got a Turbo S and couldn't be happier. On occasion, I do miss the power of my S4, but the power of the Turbo S is a very fair compromise.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 AM
DUR
For an SUV, the Cayenne GTS is extremely capable and satisfying. The handling is simply astonishing for something it's size. It pulls hard and sounds great.

Comparing it head to head with the RS4, however, is a difficult proposition. The RS4 is a premium level small sport sedan, and in an absolute sense, will outperform the Cayenne, except possibly, the new gen turbo. Likewise, there is very little out there, regardless of price, that will duplicate the subjective feel of the RS4's incredible motor. That said, the steering feel in the GTS is just as good, if not better than the RS4. The stock exhaust note in the GTS is more aggressive than the stock RS4 exhaust too. Both cars have a sport mode, but the sport mode in the GTS does MUCH more in terms of sound and throttle re-mapping than the RS4's sport mode. My GTS has air suspension and PDCC and the objective cornering speeds are extremely close to what I could do in the RS4. The high level of adjustibility in ride, throttle and handling settings is also a huge plus. In comfort mode, sport-off, PSM on, it is a fairly comfy cruiser/family hauler. Engage sport mode, sport suspension, turn the PSM off and put it into manual shift, and this thing is an absolute beast.

I used to have a 2006 Cayenne S when I had my RS4, and I got rid of both vehicles and replaced it with a single GTS. I would say the GTS is a perfect blend of the RS4 and Cayenne S. For the time being, I wanted just one vehicle, and this fit the bill.

There is also something inherently contradictory, and therefore appealing to me, about an SUV that looks and goes like the Cayenne GTS.

If you have driven other SUV's the Cayenne GTS will amaze you. While it doesn't have the sheer thrust of the turbo, the power is certainly sufficient, and the vehicle feels more raw and precise, much in the same way the 911 GT3 compares to the 911 turbo.

So in the end, it is not the RS4, but it is unrealistic to expect it to be. However, do I feel like it is a huge letdown? Absolutely not!!! I am very satisfied with it, but as I said, a lot depends on your expectations.
Thank you so much for this clear exposition.

Obviously they are two different cars, on two different categories and, even maybe, for different purposes. When it comes to my expectations, I only want to have a good familiy car with which travel with ease and comfort, but with enough power and performance so as to give myself a "treat" from time to time.

I am soon getting a track car that will definitely cater all my "radical" needs, so the Cayenne will not have as high expectations as my RS4 did as a my only drive.

Again, thanks for the info!!!!

Cheers.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
STDFAST is on a distinguished road

WOW! I just got my GTS and reading this, I wish I hadn't so I could go out a buy one right now Well put. The gas mileage definitely isn't that great, but as someone once told me "If you have to ask, it may not be for you..."

Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM
JDPst20 is on a distinguished road
As I don't post much on this site I do read most of the threads just for info and for fun.

I'm kind of in a simular situation right now as well. I am lucky to have a car allowance with my company as well as gas paid for on my company card. So fuel is not the issue for me.

I was in love when I found an 06 Audi S4 Special Edition and I bougth it! I loved the power and the fun factory, however I felt like I was at the pump every other day!

Never the less it really didn't matter It still seemed it wasn't the most practical car for the task. The difference in MPG's is not that different, it's the DIFFERENCE in the Fuel Capacity. The S4 only had like a 13 gallon tank where as the GTS I was looking at has "I believe" a 24-25? something like that gallon tank. So yeah you would get more Range out of the GTS essentially.

As I would have love to have a GTS it was slightly out of my pricerange of around 48-55k for an 08'.

I ended up going with an FX35 for the main fact that it can take 87 or 89 fuel, it gets better Range out of a tank, and it still has that fun handeling factor as a sporty sedan.

I did test drive the GTS 08 just for kicks and I would have to say it blew my mind. The exhaust note was just outstanding!!! Even compared to the S4. THe GTS just sounds angry and it had the handleing and percision I love.

If I could have aforded the GTS I would have went there all the way, but at about 55k with some $$ down I'd still be looking at a 850-1000$ payment a month and at this time it just wouldn't be worth shelling out the extra cash on top of my car allowance.

My vote goes to the GTS if you can afford it and the maintinece. I hope to keep the FX35 for maybe 2-3 years get some milage out of it and then finally upgrade to my dream car of either an 09' GTS or Turbo.

They are just truly sick trucks.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
Dur - you should be lucky to get 16km/100 - i usually get about 500km or so from the tank, but caution the manual tranny eats even more gas than the auto.

the back seats do not fold down particularly well as they are very bolstered,

spouse has an A3 - the back seat dimensions are the same as the A4 - it is narrower than the GTS so 3 in the back is easier.

the back hatch has a lot more height than your A4, but not a heck of a lot more room.

the GTS is a riot to drive