Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

08 Cayenne: GTS or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 PM
DUR
DUR is on a distinguished road
08 Cayenne: GTS or Turbo?

Hi all:

The deal was thought to be a swap for a GTS, but my Porsche dealer just called to say he has also an 08 Turbo, with the same euqipment (pretty loaded: PASM, PCCB, Bose, Sunroof, PCM, etc.) for just a little more money.

Which would be better option? Is the Turbo that much of a better car? Isn't the GTS just "enough" taking in account that we're talking about an SUV?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Cheers.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-09-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: not enough posts
Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Just drive it! See for yourself. I was not impressed with the GTS at all, thought it sounded great but had no pull to match the sound. But others think it is more then adequate.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:01 PM
irwiny is on a distinguished road
I have CTT 08 for a few months. My only suggestion is to make sure you have a extended warranty and compare insurance quotes. I got mine with 20K miles - less than two years old - remaining new car warranty is 2yrs + 30K miles then then 2 additional years + 50K miles (Porsche Certified) = 4 yrs / 80K miles. I didn't drive a GTS, but I really like the 500HP engine on the CTT. When fully stopped > sport mode > (drops down to 1st Gear), floor it and you will understand the trill. Sometimes you forget your driving a SUV and not a sports car. One thing with performance tires and rims, you don't want to put cables or chains for snow conditions. So a spare set of rims is something to consider when buying a SUV performance car. Every Cayenne is different and you need to see what options are installed with the factory sticker. My unit didn't come with Auto Headlights / Daynight mirror or Rear CD. Instead the previous owner ordered Pano roof - 21 rims - Turbo lighted floor trim and still costing about $105K new. After market Bluetooth Phone + iPod Dock were installed non factory ($1-2K).

Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
[quote=DUR;3118419]Hi all:

Which would be better option? Is the Turbo that much of a better car? quote]

The GTS has some neat styling features, but lacks the punch of the turbo.

Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Just drive it! .
X2....unless of course you don't want to spend the extra on the Turbo.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
if i had to have an automatic Cayenne it would be the Turbo - added a lot of fun with that punch

Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Is it really a question? Have you driven the Turbo?? I thought people - especially on RL - bought Porsches for more than gurgly exhausts and cute alternating leather and stitching. (here come the flames...)

I am not a crazy horsepower guy. I didn't go out to buy a Turbo. But the problem was I test drove it. The Turbo bought me, you might say. I was the poor Millenium Falcon, sucked into the tractor beam of the Death Star with no hope of breaking free... I feel like I'm the unofficial Turbo Evangelist, and I say this everytime someone asks, but I literally, literally laughed out loud on my test drive. My kids in the backseat cheered! I actually got out to look around, thinking I mistakenly got in a 997 on accident.

Unload a few extra shares of Apple stock and do it. And report back in 6 months. I doubt anyone would ever say they regretted it.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
seankrider is on a distinguished road
Could I get Umber/Cream and design stitching retro'd on my '04CTT?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by seankrider
Is it really a question? Have you driven the Turbo?? I thought people - especially on RL - bought Porsches for more than gurgly exhausts and cute alternating leather and stitching. (here come the flames...)

I am not a crazy horsepower guy. I didn't go out to buy a Turbo. But the problem was I test drove it. The Turbo bought me, you might say. I was the poor Millenium Falcon, sucked into the tractor beam of the Death Star with no hope of breaking free... I feel like I'm the unofficial Turbo Evangelist, and I say this everytime someone asks, but I literally, literally laughed out loud on my test drive. My kids in the backseat cheered! I actually got out to look around, thinking I mistakenly got in a 997 on accident.

Unload a few extra shares of Apple stock and do it. And report back in 6 months. I doubt anyone would ever say they regretted it.

Very well put!

Old 02-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Matrix is on a distinguished road
ok i have owned both 2008 GTS and currently 2008 Trubo.

The GTS got 1mpg better than the turbo and sounded great in sport mode. The seats in the gts look nice but if you have kids they are a nightmare. The GTS at lowest ride setting will be lower than a Turbo so it will look better. Nothing worse than sitting at a stop light in your GTS and not being able to back up the sound when some one wants to play.

Get a turbo, add lowering mod and exhaust and you will smile everytime you start it up.

When i had the GTS and saw a Turbo i always wished i'd bought one. Also i couldn't see myself owning the GTS more than 2-3years, the turbo i will keep until it dies.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
Only if you want to have the manual tranny, which is offered on GTS.
Otherwise,,, turbo.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 AM
JDPst20 is on a distinguished road
I don't have either but I've driven both. I drove the GTS 1st and loved the sound especially in sport mode and how it handled and felt. It was simple and fun. The turbo is a whole other animal. It is insane how fast you get going in manual mode and how quick that thing is for how heavy it is. They both are awesome but the Turbo you can tune to have tones more HP as with the GTS your some what limited on power increase.

If I had to pick, and I could afford either one, Turbo being slightly more or maybe even same but with 20k more miles, I would still get the Turbo I think. Toss a sweet exhaust on there, chip, and cat bypass and it will be a rocket.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
Go TURBO, GTS' are for the conservative ;-)

Old 02-12-2011, 04:37 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
I steered away from the GTS because of the manual tranny ~ pulling a 2 1/2 ton vehicle. No matter how well you drive, its got to fail sooner, as opposed to, later.
928's and Turbo 944's have known issues here.

I'm sure its more fun than an Auto, but...