Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

PPI for dealer-damaged 'new' turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM
persantine is on a distinguished road
Question PPI for dealer-damaged 'new' turbo

Hi all,

First time poster although I've been reading for quite some time. My question concerns the wisdom of purchasing a dealer-damaged and repaired new vehicle. Should I avoid it? Get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection)?

I am in the market for a '11 Cayenne Turbo and have visiting many of the dealers in the LA area. Finally found a beautiful dark blue (so hard to find!) turbo and negotiated with them for about $125K drive off. The sticker on this is about $115K, and they are also including a 2 or 3 year extended warranty (not sure if its through Porsche N.A. or 3rd party).

After having negotiated the price I expected to of course see the vehicle in person, but the dealer kept making excuses..."its at a different showroom" etc, until they finally told me that the vehicle's roof was damaged during transport. They claimed the vehicle was being repaired, parts were being flown in, etc etc. Well a month and a half after this comes out they finally call to say that the vehicle is repaired and waiting for me this coming weekend.

Should I even consider purchasing the vehicle? Is the negotiated price reasonable considering prior damage? Do i need to have a PPI done to ensure proper repair (doesn't PPI usually only ascertain mechanical/drivability)?

Thanks all, really appreciate any input you might have!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Hoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to allHoppity is a name known to all
I am sure you can find a dealer who can do it for sticker. Something doesn't sound right about this dealer.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Are the numbers right you posted above? It doesn't quite sound like you're getting a deal. The extended warranty is only worth something if you keep the car beyond standard warranty. And given the price, I wouldn't want to pay close to msrp for a car that has been damaged, esp. since it's taken a month and a half to fix. You're better off finding a dealer willing to give you a discount and custom ordering exactly what you want on the vehicle.

Just my .02 worth.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 PM
canberk will become famous soon enough
i'm pretty sure they dropped the car of from the truck on its roof, flipping it over....

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. In clarification of the price: $115K is sticker, $125K includes CA sales tax (9.75%), registration, + everything else. Don't know if i have too much wiggle room in the price, last I checked there arent too many available '11 turbos in the SoCal area, esp not in my preferred colors of dark blue and meteor grey. I'm feeling kind of leery about this car/dealer, i guess I just wanted some confirmation that I should stay away. Can anyone recommend any porsche sales people in the LA area if I decide to custom order?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I got a CTT from a dealer in LA in DEC with 8% off a sticker price of 128k. The car was a not damaged but was a demo car with over 500 miles on it. Its in great condition and had many options I wanted and expected.
I would try to get more of a discount, and you should start looking in other cities or states for a CTT and great deal.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by slw23
Are the numbers right you posted above? It doesn't quite sound like you're getting a deal. The extended warranty is only worth something if you keep the car beyond standard warranty. And given the price, I wouldn't want to pay close to msrp for a car that has been damaged, esp. since it's taken a month and a half to fix. You're better off finding a dealer willing to give you a discount and custom ordering exactly what you want on the vehicle.

Just my .02 worth.
+1 for that.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
your money is worth a lot more than you think. it's $115k that we are talking about here, don't settle to a damaged car. You don't need to find a car that is in your area, try other surrounding areas, it's so easy to fly there and pick your car up. That's what I did, had to drive back home 11 hours, but it was worth it, you also do the breaking in on the way

Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM
CayenneTurbo77 has a spectacular aura aboutCayenneTurbo77 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by canberk
i'm pretty sure they dropped the car of from the truck on its roof, flipping it over....

Based on the fact it had "some" roof damage??

Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't go for it, unless they give you a really good deal, but this doesn't sound like much of a deal to me IMHO.
Just walk away, or play around with them how much they are willing to suck it down.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by persantine
...Can anyone recommend any porsche sales people in the LA area if I decide to custom order?
PM sent...

Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
I got a CTT from a dealer in LA in DEC with 8% off a sticker price of 128k. The car was a not damaged but was a demo car with over 500 miles on it. Its in great condition and had many options I wanted and expected.
I would try to get more of a discount, and you should start looking in other cities or states for a CTT and great deal.
wow, that is a pretty good buy. Mind sharing/PMing the dealer and sales person?

I'm going to go through the threads and read up on the intricacies of purchasing an out of state car, hopefully its not too much trouble!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by slw23
PM sent...
Received, thanks for the info! And no it wasnt them.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:21 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
PM sent

hope it helps

Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
I would run from that dealer, if they can't be up front with you and give you excuses and can't be trusted it's probably best not to deal with them. Trust your gut feeling...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PPI for dealer-damaged 'new' turbo