Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

"whining" sound when car is rolling..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Markenstein3D is on a distinguished road
"whining" sound when car is rolling..

noticed several times.. i hear a "whining" sound when i'm slowly moving.. thought it's just the brakes (i may need pads soon), but it's when i am not stepping on the breaks.. slowly rolling from stop, to moving (maybe 1-2 mph like in a traffic).. anybody had this before? (06 CTT-S @ 33k)

Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Markenstein3D
noticed several times.. i hear a "whining" sound when i'm slowly moving.. thought it's just the brakes (i may need pads soon), but it's when i am not stepping on the breaks.. slowly rolling from stop, to moving (maybe 1-2 mph like in a traffic).. anybody had this before? (06 CTT-S @ 33k)
Got the same problem on '10 Cayenne with 9500 miles...going in for service soon. But if anyone else has an answer, that would be great.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:45 AM
codey is on a distinguished road
Is it coming from the transmission? Mine makes quite a loud noise...especially with the windows down. suppose it would be louder if the transmission was having problems.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:36 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
These will whine when cold or upon startup; something to do with an 'air pump' ? However, its most of the time when happening, doesn't come/go.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:59 PM
BSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the rough
I have the same issue on my 08' GTS. It is REALLY Annoying!!! It sounds to me like something needs to be lubed up or something. I also thought it was the breaks at first but now I don't believe that is the issue. Any thoughts or ideas would be great. I have been trying to get it to Porsche for almost 2 months but have had not time and the closest service center is 45 min away.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by BSB911TT
It sounds to me like something needs to be lubed up or something
EXACTLY what it is.. like something needs to be lubed.. I thought is has something to do with the Turbos but then yours is a GTS so maybe something else..

Could it be the cardan shaft? is this an issue with the 08+ Cayenne's?
Could it be the A/C Compressor? I remember when my I drove my car (in 2001) in the flood.. stupid me didn't turn off the A/C and water have reached this.. following days I heard it having whining noise, but that's only when I turn on the A/C..

It wasn't cold this morning when I drove my daughter to school.. so probably not because of cold weather..

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
I recently started to notice this as well. I know exactly the sound you are talking about. 06 CTTS with 29k miles. I have no idea what it is.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Got the same problem on '10 Cayenne with 9500 miles...going in for service soon. But if anyone else has an answer, that would be great.
Hey Moe, can you update us on what the dealer finds out of what's causing this? cardan shaft? transmission? (it's only when its rolling very slow - shows 2nd gear), suspension?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Any part of the cardan shaft that needs lubing??? sorry for this newbie question..

Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Hey Moe, can you update us on what the dealer finds out of what's causing this? cardan shaft? transmission? (it's only when its rolling very slow - shows 2nd gear), suspension?
Also, can you specify to the dealer/shop to check the front diff? credit to this question goes to one member from the other forum.. pointed the front diff maybe causing this noise...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
BSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the rough
I think it may be the Differential as well... That is where the noise "seems" to be coming from. Maybe just needs some grease???

Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
spinny02 is on a distinguished road
3D

Your Cayenne is keeping you busy ! Sorry that you have had so issues .

Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Wife in the passenger seat?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Aperture776 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Wife in the passenger seat?

Old 03-03-2011, 01:54 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I noticed this on my brand new CTT, mostly when manuevering slowly in a busy parking lot at under 5mph. The dealer explained that its the air pumps for the air suspension constantly adjusting, also since I have PDCC that adds to it.
This may apply to your issues also, since we all notice the same thing then maybe its a possible reason.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "whining" sound when car is rolling..