Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Water pump and odd sound

Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
Water pump and odd sound

Well, I brought my 04 CS into Firestone to get a lifetime alignment and while it was in there they called to say that the water pump sounds like its going out. Now I have been hearing a sound that sounds like rocks grinding together under water ever since I bought the car from Carmax. I have read on the forums that a grinding sound from the engine area is typical though and have thought nothing of it until now. What do yall think? Normal? Or maybe I should take it over to the stealership and see what they think? I might try posting a video tonight.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM
TenaciousT is on a distinguished road
I don't know about grinding, but a ticking sound is normal. The water pump will usually trickle a bit before it goes. Any leakage?

Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
ClutchnThrottle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FastHackem
Well, I brought my 04 CS into Firestone to get a lifetime alignment and while it was in there they called to say that the water pump sounds like its going out. Now I have been hearing a sound that sounds like rocks grinding together under water ever since I bought the car from Carmax. I have read on the forums that a grinding sound from the engine area is typical though and have thought nothing of it until now. What do yall think? Normal? Or maybe I should take it over to the stealership and see what they think? I might try posting a video tonight.
Yup. Your water pump is wearing out. I had the same sound coming from mine before I replaced it. I did not have any leaks before I started hearing the sound. It was fairly easy to replace. You can buy the part from either Suncoast or Sunset for around $135 IIRC. Good luck.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
update: Stealership confirmed dead water pump. Replaced under warranty.