Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Indicator light problems

Old 03-08-2011, 04:30 PM
jaybee is on a distinguished road
Indicator light problems

My 2004 Cayenne S started having some indicator light problems the other day.

On occasion, when indicating to turn left, the warning message pops up "check indictor light" and the arrow-shaped indicator on the dashboard starts blinking at a more rapid pace. When getting out of the car all of the actual indicator lights on the outside seem to be working properly. Then if I stop the engine and start it again, the warning is gone and the indicators seem to work fine.... until at some point the warning shows up again...

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas of what causes this and possible fixes?

Thanks!

-J-

Old 03-09-2011, 12:48 AM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Just discovered my right front signal bulb was melting through and about to cause a fire. Well, eventually. It appears someone changed the bulb before I bought it and failed to seat it in all the way. Does this help?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
you solved your own problem congrats

Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
simpleman325i is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaybee

On occasion, when indicating to turn left, the warning message pops up "check indictor light" and the arrow-shaped indicator on the dashboard starts blinking at a more rapid pace. When getting out of the car all of the actual indicator lights on the outside seem to be working properly. Then if I stop the engine and start it again, the warning is gone and the indicators seem to work fine.... until at some point the warning shows up again...

Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas of what causes this and possible fixes?

Thanks!

-J-
Is the failed light front or rear?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jaybee

Thanks!

-J-
This is a well known and common issue. The reason it happens is that you have an inconsistent connection. There are two possible fixes. The first is to remove the light assembly and clean the contact points. This helps sometimes, but not always. The second is to tighten the carriage/base that holds the light assembly in place. There are 10mm bolts that hold it, and they often come loose. In fact, there is a TSB about this issue, and it recommends using blue Lotite to hold the bolts in place. I had a similar issue with my Cayenne, but once everything was tightened up with Loctite, I haven't had the problem since. That was 2 years ago.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:36 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Had similar experience over time. Then the front bumper was removed; they found an improperly seated right turn signal bulb was melting through the plastic and eventually would cause a fire. We replaced the melted housing for $20 and made sure to seat the bulb fully in the new housing.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM
thedox is on a distinguished road
Intermittent turning signal warning.

I had this problem on my 2006 Cayenne Turbo, right front turning light. Especially in cold sub-zero weather. The bulb change, holder contact clean-up, and torx screw tighten up as described previously worked for me. I had to do all three before I got consistent fix though. Thanks to posters for help.