Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Updated thoughts on Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Hybury is on a distinguished road
Updated thoughts on Hybrid?

Hi - I am new to the forum and was going through threads to get opinions on the 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid. I am looking to upgrade my wife to this model (from an '08 Cayenne V6) and was wondering if there were any updated opinions or experiences out there.

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
i think the new hybrid is a joke, v6 see's just as good mileage and is cheaper, has a spare, offroad ability, lighter, less things to fix down the line... and i could go on.

the new hybrid's seem like a joke to me considering all you lose to get the word "hybrid" on the side... (and a small tax credit that only puts it around the same price as the V8) i feel that these cars are more so created to coincide with new rulings and not refined as much as they should be to "get amazing mileage"... another thing to consider is that for most trips the engine never even warms up so the mileage is bad because not of the hybrid system ever gets up and running.. only on longer trips will you see the hybrid system kick in and very rarely will you ever see the vehicle in coast mode (downhill, but remember the bad mileage you will get flooring it to go uphill)

FWIW the panamera hybrid is worse, v6 has much better mileage and you lose the PDK as well...

Last edited by wa1l1in; 03-09-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
Hybury:
The link to my review of the "S" and Hybrid back to back is below. I hope it proves helpful. Although I don't agree that the Hybrid is a "joke", I am not sure it fills a need in the market inasmuch as the actual mileage benefit is minimal, the weight increase is noticeable, it lacks a spare tire, and I suspect that the added complexity may prove expensive in repairs, etc. I certainly would not want to own one out of warranty. Good luck whatever decision you make.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-s-hybrid.html

Old 03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Hybury is on a distinguished road
Thanks - the feedback is much appreciated. I think my wife is more enamoured with the "hybrid" tag than I am. If it were me, Id be looking at a Turbo.

Of course...the challenge is that there is a low km hybrid avaialble, so savings off MSRP on an essentially brand new vehicle that she could have tomorrow.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:06 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hybury
Thanks - the feedback is much appreciated. I think my wife is more enamoured with the "hybrid" tag than I am. If it were me, Id be looking at a Turbo.

Of course...the challenge is that there is a low km hybrid avaialble, so savings off MSRP on an essentially brand new vehicle that she could have tomorrow.
is the car preowned (they regret purchase?) or just a dealer demo?... again i'd honestly check around for S's in stock.... maybe your wife thinks the "hybrid" on the side means more than 10% "possible" gas mileage....

there was a member on here/other forum? that forced a dealer to take his back because the weird problems he had, also note the batteries use the rear air vents to cool themselves (so in the summer, rear passengers never get cold air).

i'm not anti hybrid, but i am pro common sense.. prius=good deal, chevy volt=not, porsche hybrid-gimmick.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 PM
WFBlue is on a distinguished road
WA1I1N is right about the a/c cooling the battery. My salesman said that you must have the a/c on at all times in the Hybrid or trouble would ensue.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:52 AM
PETER838 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
is the car preowned (they regret purchase?) or just a dealer demo?... again i'd honestly check around for S's in stock.... maybe your wife thinks the "hybrid" on the side means more than 10% "possible" gas mileage....

there was a member on here/other forum? that forced a dealer to take his back because the weird problems he had, also note the batteries use the rear air vents to cool themselves (so in the summer, rear passengers never get cold air).

i'm not anti hybrid, but i am pro common sense.. prius=good deal, chevy volt=not, porsche hybrid-gimmick.
Update, Porsche GB refuse to take the car back, they say that having the wiring harness replaced in the car is a 'minor problem' and the cars power steering failure is a minor problem!!!. I'm taking the dealer Pendragon group to court, will let you know the outcome...steer clear of the Porsche Hybrid

Old 03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by PETER838
Update, Porsche GB refuse to take the car back, they say that having the wiring harness replaced in the car is a 'minor problem' and the cars power steering failure is a minor problem!!!. I'm taking the dealer Pendragon group to court, will let you know the outcome...steer clear of the Porsche Hybrid
thank you for owner thoughts, i have met 5 people with hybrids and all 5 hate their vehicle and 3 of them returned it to dealer other 2 trying to pending arbitration.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:40 AM
nephew is on a distinguished road
While my thoughts on the Hybrid are not as revolting as others, I do not recommend the Hybrid. I have had mine for 4 months now - I have not had any issue with the Hybrid system itself, but I find it to be a useless add-on to the car. Here's why:

During normal driving, the hybrid only kicks in on full throttle (foot to the floor). In other words, in order to get both the gas engine and the electric motors to work at the same time, you need to floor it. As such, for 99.5% of my driving time, my car has a slightly more powerful V6 than the base V6 for a $15k premium.

You can click the 'Sport' button and the accelerator threshold is lessened (I believe Porsche says 70% throttle), but in Sport mode, the other benefits of the Hybrid are turned off (sailing mode, etc.). This is just plain stupid - we have an electric motor in the car, but can only use it during extreme throttling. Makes no sense to me.

However, Porsche can easily fix this with a software update - would be great for the electric motor to kick in on say, 50% throttle in all cases. I doubt that Porsche would ever do this though.

I should have bought an S...

BTW - my normal commute is 25 minutes/15 miles on mixed highway driving and am lucky if I can get 20mpg in the car.

Such a disappointment!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
http is on a distinguished road
I mean why would you go hybrid ...
The gas mileage is no advantage , neither is there an outstanding power advantage .
Very Passionate tree hugger only..

Old 05-05-2011, 10:01 AM
mteddylee is on a distinguished road
I was going to order a Hybrid at first. then i saw this thread:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-s-hybrid.html

and porsche rep talked me out of it, in terms of gas mileage saving it doesn't really justify the higher premium price. so then i decided to order a CS but "unfortunately" local dealership only had a Turbo for test drive and after driving the turbo... we all know how it goes... can't really go back to the S now... end up ordering a CTT =(