Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

iPod for my 04 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 AM
xsrfs is on a distinguished road
iPod for my 04 ?

I'm getting frustrated. I can't find any iPod integration that doesn't require disassembling half the vehicle. My monster FM transmitter for iPod sounds horrible on the Bose.

There's a bunch of write ups on iPods, similar to what im asking but they're scattered all over the place and usually years old. What's the latest and greatest??

Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I bought a used mobridge unit off a fellow 6speeder. Cost me 120 to have my local shop do the install. Now she's buttoned up with the iPod in the glove box. Works great so far replacing the cd changer. Have not figured out how to flip through songs yet but it's only been in the car for 10 minutes of driving.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
I have an 04 S and just had an iSimple Tranzit installed and I have Bose. It's an FM modulator that they tap into the antenna. Works for iPhone as well, which is what I wanted it for since it has an iPod on it. I think it sounds fine and saved me a ton of money since you can't replace the head unit without having to spend a fortune to do it thanks to the fiber optic harness. It cost me $180 total for product and install. Works great.

Last edited by Mama'sCayenne; 03-25-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
codey is on a distinguished road
My fm modulator doesn't sound too hot either. The sound coming from the device is really low. Xsrsf is that what you are experiencing?

Old 03-25-2011, 10:51 PM
My monster FM piece sounds horrible. It has a lot of static. Its not even worth listening to. I went back a few years and i'm burning CDs until I figure out what I'm doing.

There's a unit called Dension Gateway 500 which my research and phone calls are telling me is the way to go. You can control through the CD controls on the PCM and steering wheel

Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Mama'sCayenne
I have an 04 S and just had an iSimple Tranzit installed and I have Bose. It's and FM modulator that they tap into the antenna. Works for iPhone as well, which is what I wanted it for since it has an iPod on it. I think it sounds fine and saved me a ton of money since you can't replace the head unit without having to spend a fortune to do it thanks to the fiber optic harness. It cost me $180 total for product and install. Works great.
Would you rate the quality as good as a CD?

Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Originally Posted by xsrfs
Would you rate the quality as good as a CD?
I'll try a CD and compare them and get back to you.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:18 AM
ok thanks. I was just looking for a general comparison but I appreciate as much info as I can get.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:25 AM
ok thanks. I was just looking for a general comparison but I appreciate as much info as I can get.
No problem. I will check it tomorrow and reply by end of day.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry it took me until today to compare... So I took a listen and of course, it is not the same quality as a CD as it isn't as crisp and clear as a CD but it does sound fine. I'm pretty picky and as a musician, I like to be able to hear the music and instruments well and considering what it costs compared to more expensive options, it isn't bad at all. Also, something to remember is that with an option like this, you have to have the ipod volume up as well as the speakers of the truck up more than normal making it, for me, the only pain in the rump to have to remember to do, which also means remembering to turn it down when I want to listen to the radio. If you forget, your ears I'm sure, would bleed from the loud volume. BUT - all in all, for it's price, I recommend it, especially if you do not want to shell out a fortune to upgrade your truck's stereo.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 PM
lnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura aboutlnferno has a spectacular aura about
I've been extremely happy with my mObridge unit. It retains the steering wheel controls.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 PM
I forgot to mention that with my set up you can still use the volume and mute controls on the steering wheel.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mama'sCayenne
Sorry it took me until today to compare... So I took a listen and of course, it is not the same quality as a CD as it isn't as crisp and clear as a CD but it does sound fine. I'm pretty picky and as a musician, I like to be able to hear the music and instruments well and considering what it costs compared to more expensive options, it isn't bad at all. Also, something to remember is that with an option like this, you have to have the ipod volume up as well as the speakers of the truck up more than normal making it, for me, the only pain in the rump to have to remember to do, which also means remembering to turn it down when I want to listen to the radio. If you forget, your ears I'm sure, would bleed from the loud volume. BUT - all in all, for it's price, I recommend it, especially if you do not want to shell out a fortune to upgrade your truck's stereo.
The only solutions you have for power to your ipod and crisper sound is mobridge or dension, tapping into CD changer in rear.

I have the FM modulator and suffered with minimal volume and was using an nano initially then an old iphone.

I went into I tunes and played with the file size to maximum and use a 3G iphone......it cant charge but the sound quality is much better with the larger file sizes not being limited.

I would say just go aftermarket.......theres alot of pioneer and alpine choices out there, they come with GPS, Rearcamera installs and other harnesses that retain the controls on steering wheel and dash readings.....its an 04, dont worry about updating the system for 1500 aftermarket versus 5k to retrofit an OEM product.