Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

06 S - Coolant Pipes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 AM
The Jet is on a distinguished road
06 S - Coolant Pipes?

Hi, new to the forum. Great stuff here.

Have a deposit down on an 06 S, pending PPI results. The vehicle has 40k and was a lease return. Inpection came back clean but the mechanic was unable to determine if the coolant pipes have been replaced. I called the local Porsche/Audi dealer and the guy in the service dept said they couldn't pull the service records because I wasn't the owner.

Also I am not sure about the ignition coil status.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have to get back to the seller asap.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Yeah, thats crap. I've done this plenty at my dealer. Especially since its 'off' lease, there isn't really a current owner. F'n thieves just want you to spend cash with them. Either have whomever 'owns' it call or try another.

Only way to tell is using a Borescope. You have to look under the intake manifold to check. There's also a small 'T' piece that should be done; not part of any Coolant Pipe kit. If not done, do it. There's A LOT of other damage associated with these failing.

Don't forget the Cardan shaft issue. They fail too. Its only a $150 bearing that comes apart, so either have another pressed in or visit www.vertexauto.com for a rebuilt, balanced (which dealer is not) unit. Find an Indy to install or DIY if handy since exhaust is lowered.
Typically, you'll get a vibration or thumping center of the car.

Coils aren't as big of an issue since they extended warranty.

Most of all; enjoy the Cayenne. They are amazing and I LOVE mine !!!

Originally Posted by The Jet
I called the local Porsche/Audi dealer and the guy in the service dept said they couldn't pull the service records because I wasn't the owner.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Good advice, thanks much.

You're right they are amazing vehicles. The local Porsche dealer only had an 03 S with over 90k miles on it, which was not what we were looking for, but we test drove it anyway. By the time we turned out of the parking lot and hit the gas we knew that was the car we wanted. While waiting for the 03 to return from another test drive the dealer had us try an 08 Mercedes SL350. It felt like driving a cheap minivan compared to the Cayenne.

I guess I wasn't too clear but the seller is not a Porsche dealer, they are a dealer that picked the vehicle up at an auction. They told me if the Porsche dealers won't look up the service record that I should call Porsche USA and they could look it up. I'm going to try that this afternoon.

Thanks for mentioning the cardan shaft issue. Doesn't sound like a deal breaker, but something I'll want to be proactive with also. I am pretty mechanical and have replaced transmissions, driveaxles, etc so if I can find the proper directions I often tackle minor items myself.

So if the coils haven't been replaced yet Porsche will still replace them now and foot the bill?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:46 PM
RobsCountach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The Jet
So if the coils haven't been replaced yet Porsche will still replace them now and foot the bill?
If you've done kind of mechanical work, its a cake walk for you as I'm the same way. Been pulling motors since I was a kid.

Yes, there's an updated coil pack out there. The CEL must be lit, but once it happens, they replace the set with the new coils.

I tell folks, if they want an X5 or ML, just look at the interiors... If that won't do it, take it for an autocross -

Old 04-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Okay so we finally tracked down the service history. The current dealer had to call Porsche to get the report for me.

They replaced the coils, but it doesn't look like the coolant pipes or cardan shaft have been replaced. Not too worried about the cardan shaft, I think I can handle it, but I'm wondering if I should buy it without the coolant pipes already done. Has anyone tried tackling this replacement themselves?

There are not any leaks currently, but obviously it is just a matter of time. Also, it sounds like the class action suit may be gaining ground and the replacement might end up being covered by Porsche?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Make it a condition of sale that the dealer replaces the coolant pipes. Push him.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:46 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I thought later built, especially 2006 built Cayenne shouldn't be worried about the cardan shaft, since they got the updated parts.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
All models Cardan shafts probably will go after 65k miles or less depending on driving habits. Its about the rubber wearing out.

Coil packs still melt and should all be replaced I think every 50-80k miles just for keeping engine running smooth and change the plugs then too.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
sure Porsche really loves to use rubber or plastic parts......