Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Potholes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 PM
dimf is on a distinguished road
Potholes

when you're on 22" wheels and low profile tires, do you basically avoid all potholes or you just avoid the big deep ones?

reason why I'm asking is we are just coming out of the worst winter in a long time, and the pothole situation is near record level. There are some parts of the city where there are potholes inside potholes , so many that sometimes it is impossible to avoid them.

how about potholes on areas where you normally drive really slow, do you avoid them at all cost too?

will hitting potholes at slower speed damage your rims too?

how about those bigger cracks? and those uneven spots, like newly covered potholes? are they a threat as well?

Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Avoid the holes at all costs, or you'll be buying new wheels or at minimum be rebalancing.
Good luck!

Or get smaller wheels and more rubber tires.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:56 AM
this seems like a self fulfilling prophecy.

I was taking my wife's RAV's tire to Canadian tire for flat repair, hit a pothole on the merging lane from one busy freeway to another freeway - bam.. blown a 335/25/22 on my rear driver's side. I don't think the rim is damaged.

The situation of the pothole is tricky and dangerous because it's on the spot where you really have to shoulder check because you are on a ramp merging to a busy freeway.

I am claiming this damage to the city of Edmonton - http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...laim-form.aspx

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM
snzuloz is on a distinguished road
Thats an awfully large tire for a RAV isn't it? Yeah the potholes are worse than I've ever seen! One tip, if your about to hit a pothole and can't avoid it get your foot off the brake, it lessens the impact on the wheel (lets the wheel travel over without the extra brake force adding to the impact). I'm waiting till the majority of the potholes are covered before my 22's go on.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Troy,

I was driving the Cayenne last night.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear. Did you have to change the tire on the spot or where you able to get it home safely with a damaged tire?

Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 AM
tire pressure monitor saved the wheels. it alerted me about rapid air loss and I was able to park the vehicle with 22 psi left. I checked the wheel and saw a big rip bulging long the inside lip, so I phoned roadside assistance and had the collapsible spare tire installed.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM
BSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the roughBSB911TT is a jewel in the rough
I have 22's and live in LA. California is broke as a joke and the potholes are out of control. Had to replace a $260 tire 3 weeks ago because of one and had the get the car towed etc. etc. Avoid Avoid Avoid!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I decided to keep the Modulare M7 rims because they looked great on the vehicle, got a set of Vredestein Sessantas from Sorat Wheels who did a good job of shipping them the same day. Brought the tires to Bert's Auto in west Edmonton, who mounted them for me. Good news - the 305/35/22 fit the wheels perfectly and cleared with no rubbing even with the lowest setting on the Techart lowering module. They looked great. I even had the vehicle aligned at low setting.

The bad news - something must have moved during the tire dismounting/mounting because there is a leak on one of the rims now. The Cayenne is on jack again, hoping to enjoy it this long weekend, not going to happen

This is the second time this happened to me, and on two different shops when replacing tires. Are three piece wheels that problematic? Should I make Bert's Auto pay for the resealing of the rim? I am positive the rim was not leaking before I brought it to the shop because I had the vehicle parked since December (on the previous tire set) and the pressure barely changed.

Last edited by dimf; 04-22-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 PM
additional question on the 3 piece wheel - when the tire shop took it out for resealing last year, I noticed that there is not much silicone covering the line where the 2 pieces met in the middle of the rim, when Egbert's (local repair shop) took it apart and resealed it, I noticed again that the bead of silicone is not that big. Are they doing it for a reason? My line of thinking is, bigger bead of silicone on top of the joint will give it more integrity and it will stretch better because there in more material to stretch, meaning - stronger seal. The air will have to go through more sealant before leaking.

I used a lot of silicone when I bulit my 1360 gal. aquarium 3 years ago and used as much silicone as I could, came out with excellent result.