Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Break-In

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Break-In

So, what's everyone doing about break-in on the 2011's? I'd especially like to hear from those w/ 6sp's. I've always been torn with break-in periods. Some feel that if you drive it hard from the get go, you get a stronger engine out of it and other feel that you need to strictly follow the break-in for engine longevity.

Thoughts?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:36 PM
DanK is on a distinguished road
yeah it seems like everyone you talk to has a different idea of how to break in the car. I made a point of speaking to the head mechanic at the dealership when I picked up mine - both he and my sales guy said not to baby the car and that the only break-in procedure to be concerned about was to vary the rpms/not use cruise control.

Here's what I've been doing:
-driving like an old lady until the oil temp settles around 200
-keeping RPMS above 1800 and under 4500, usually keep it around 2500 rpms around the city and a little lower on the highway
-no cruise control, vary RPMS on the highway
-went for a vigorous drive on Mt. Tam in the first 50 miles to have some fun and get an idea of how the vehicle reacts
-practiced the hill hold on a steep dead end street

It could just be me getting used to the clutch, but it seems like around 1500 miles the shifting started getting smoother and less "notchy".

hope this helps, but I'm no expert. definitely having a lot of fun with my pepper though!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
I drove mine from new york to michigan to break in. I bought it from new york for the fun of the road trip with best friends and some time away from the girl. def. worth it

Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM
GBXSport has a spectacular aura aboutGBXSport has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DanK
yeah it seems like everyone you talk to has a different idea of how to break in the car. I made a point of speaking to the head mechanic at the dealership when I picked up mine - both he and my sales guy said not to baby the car and that the only break-in procedure to be concerned about was to vary the rpms/not use cruise control.

Here's what I've been doing:
-driving like an old lady until the oil temp settles around 200
-keeping RPMS above 1800 and under 4500, usually keep it around 2500 rpms around the city and a little lower on the highway
-no cruise control, vary RPMS on the highway
-went for a vigorous drive on Mt. Tam in the first 50 miles to have some fun and get an idea of how the vehicle reacts
-practiced the hill hold on a steep dead end street

It could just be me getting used to the clutch, but it seems like around 1500 miles the shifting started getting smoother and less "notchy".

hope this helps, but I'm no expert. definitely having a lot of fun with my pepper though!
Def helps, thanks! Are you still keeping it under 4500 for a certain # of miles? If so, how many?

I do believe that the tranny needs some break-in as well, so it probably is getting smoother. Clutches def need to be broken in as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM
BlueLodge400 is on a distinguished road
Every vehicle I have owned I break it in like I stole it! But I usually wait a few hundred miles to makes sure oil and all fluids are well circulated.

The way the engines are designed these days you really dont have to baby them anymore. I keep reading how you should break your vehicle in with how you plan on driving it.

This is really more of an opinion based question. I dont believe there is a right answer. So break your new toy in with what YOU feel comfortable with!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I am convinced the break in period is more for us to get to know the vehicle safely, rather than mechanical break in. You cannot over rev a 8 speed, like missing a shift on a 6 speed manual trans.