Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Anyone ever tow a travel trailer with their Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Anyone ever tow a travel trailer with their Cayenne?

Hi guys. Anyone ever tow a travel trailer with their Cayenne and did you install/use a brake controller? How was it?

We just bought a light 26' travel trailer and its GVWR is 5,800. I know my CS can tow 7,700 but I haven't tried towing yet. Not sure I will for sure since our F250 is more than capable but if I ever did, I'd like to know how they do or if there are any concerns. Also, how much did MPG suffer?

TIA!!

Mama

Old 05-09-2011, 11:43 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Gee, I rented a U-haul and it had a tongue pressure activated brake. I hardly knew it was there when towing. However, MGP was fair. On good roads and conservative speeds I was getting ~15.7 MPG. At one point my speedo was top dead center and the PSM with ABS saved me when a tire blew out. Also, while connected to the lights, the trailer is part of the alarm system.

I've thought of getting a light travel trailer. Any suggestions?

Old 05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
Gee, I rented a U-haul and it had a tongue pressure activated brake. I hardly knew it was there when towing. However, MGP was fair. On good roads and conservative speeds I was getting ~15.7 MPG. At one point my speedo was top dead center and the PSM with ABS saved me when a tire blew out. Also, while connected to the lights, the trailer is part of the alarm system.

I've thought of getting a light travel trailer. Any suggestions?
15.7 is pretty good pulling something. How much did it weigh? I've been impressed with the way the Cayenne handles in circumstances like that. But an 80mph tire blow is not something I want to experience.

There are so many trailers out there. I'd suggest looking at them (RV shows are fun or a local dealer or even online) and see what you like. There are so many options your head will spin. You just need to make sure you're under your weight limit when it is full (water, propane, food and other junk packed in the thing) and you'll be good to go. Have fun.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:09 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I towed 5,100 lbs up moderate mountains with my S and it almost like it was not there.
The trans never made it to 8th gear, mostly 5 and 6th gear at 65 MPH. Mileage was about 12. Not bad. I am surprised Porsche does not market a Cayenne better for its excellent towing capabilities. That said, I would not tow without the air suspension, and electric brakes.