Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Bose Audio Package or Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 PM
bruinxman is on a distinguished road
Bose Audio Package or Not?

Last question before I put in the order

Debating between the Bose audio package (with 6 disk change and XM), just the Bose, or nothing.

Ideally I'd get just the Bose w/o the 6 changer and XM since I don't think those will be used that often however the price diff. is only like $400 between the Bose package vs just the Bose w/o 6 changer and XM.

The other option is to go w/o any audio package not sure how good the stock sound system is. Not looking for a moving concert hall but wanted to know value vs money of the Bose.

Any thoughts would be appreciated from both those that opted to get it and those that didn't.

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM
taddyangle is on a distinguished road
When I got my truck it came with a pioneer nav system. It works out well for me but I find the most useful is having ability to play music from my 3 year old iPod that i leave connected in glove box.

I have xm, but going to cancel. Too hard to negotiate channels and I like the comedy channels but they repeat after 2 weeks.

Anyway, whatever direction u go make sure to get it working with an iPod.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM
bruinxman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by taddyangle
When I got my truck it came with a pioneer nav system. It works out well for me but I find the most useful is having ability to play music from my 3 year old iPod that i leave connected in glove box.

I have xm, but going to cancel. Too hard to negotiate channels and I like the comedy channels but they repeat after 2 weeks.

Anyway, whatever direction u go make sure to get it working with an iPod.
Don't they all come now so that you can connect to an iPod / Android or whatever else is out there now?

Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Bose vs standard , get Bose. Vs burm get burm

Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Get the Bose, a whole lot better than the base sound system.
Dont care for the 6cd changer when I have an Aux input and a single disc with Mp3 CD playing capabilty.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 PM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
I asked this same question on RL just after I ordered, the suggestions were very different over there. I originally had the Bose speakers included in my build, but decided to change from the Conv. to the Prem Package and cancelled the Bose to keep my cost in line. I'm VERY glad I did, primarily for the 14-way seats and park assist.

I have the PCM, it's an upgrade from the base CDR31, though I did not know this when I ordered. While I can't provide a comparison with the Bose or CDR31, my stereo gets plenty loud any without distortion and has decent range with quality MP3s. I primarily listen to the iPod or radio, no complaints whatsoever. I'd have no use for XM or a CD changer and would save the $400 if opting to upgrade.

Attached are the specs of the different systems. As you can see, there is a significant jump with each of the different systems.

W/r/t to iPod connectivity, the AUX port is standard on all models. You get the USB port with the PCM, but it's not included with the CDR31 (at least for 2011s). I really like having access to playlists, songs, artists, etc. through the PCM, so the USB connectivity for the iPod is a huge plus IMO.

While I agree that Bose > Base and Burm > Bose, even if I were doing it again with a V6, I'm not sure I'd upgrade to Bose from the PCM. If only I didn't have a budget....

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Alby is on a distinguished road
I tested the standard and the Bose system and I ordered the Bose as it definately sounded better.
I think the standard system is pretty average for this price point of vehicle

Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by slw23
Attached are the specs of the different systems. As you can see, there is a significant jump with each of the different systems.
Very nice spec sheet - first time I see it. Frankly I wanted XM Radio and could not decide on Bose or no Bose. Have the Bose package in the Targa and it does not sound the greatest compared to other systems I have heard so I worried going standard. Only thing nice about the CD changer is having multiple data CDs. I don't remember the last time I actually popped in a CD to listen even though I have a pretty nice collection.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 AM
http is on a distinguished road
Do you have to pay separately for a 6 CD changer besides 5690 upgrade for burmeister ??
My dealer worked out 7200 for burm plus 6 CD plus XM .
I know Bose package(2200 ) includes the XM and 6 CD changer.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
caveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nicecaveatesq is just really nice
Interesting info. I did not know that adding PCM improves the base stereo. I don't recall seeing any information in any of the Porsche marketing materials saying that. I included Bose in my order because the thought of a 100 watt base system scared me. I have PCM in my order. I have not been impressed with Bose systems in the past - My previous 997 had it. Maybe I should drop it from my Cayenne order and save some $$.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM
http is on a distinguished road
I would do bose at least. Look at double the output , number of speakers, and the ability of the sound system to adjust to the surrounding noise are great features along with 6 CD and XM . I mean even if you are a slightly serious music listener it is better to upgrade . Burmeister would be awesome seems like an overkill for a V6 . I am still confused .......

Old 05-05-2011, 09:53 AM
mteddylee is on a distinguished road
I'd go with XM since it will show real time traffic data if you live in Metro areas.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM
skier is on a distinguished road
Do you listen to music?

If the answer is yes...then you have to go at least to a Bose. If not, you will not have a subwoofer. In my opinion, having a car stereo without even the most basic subwoofer is insane if you even remotely like music. The standard Bose stereo gets you an 8" subwoofer.

If you go the cheap route, you could, theoretically, price out replacing the speakers with aftermarket ones, add and amp, and a sub. It may be cheaper than going for the Bose through Porsche...just a thought.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:08 AM
slw23 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Very nice spec sheet - first time I see it.... Only thing nice about the CD changer is having multiple data CDs. I don't remember the last time I actually popped in a CD to listen even though I have a pretty nice collection.
The spec sheet came from the MY11 Cayenne Product Info book, my dealer emailed it to me during my wait. Good point on the changer and data CDs. I contemplated burning a DVD for music, but ended up buying a Nano for the car. Easier to update, holds more music in multiple formats, etc.

Originally Posted by caveatesq
Interesting info. I did not know that adding PCM improves the base stereo. I don't recall seeing any information in any of the Porsche marketing materials saying that. I included Bose in my order because the thought of a 100 watt base system scared me. I have PCM in my order. I have not been impressed with Bose systems in the past - My previous 997 had it. Maybe I should drop it from my Cayenne order and save some $$.
Just to clarify and IIRC, the stereo itself isn't that different between the first 3 (not sure on the Burm), just the amp, speakers, features, etc. I believe the stereo unit itself is Becker? I read it on one of these forums, but can't remember for sure. And many folks on RL said the same about the Bose, which made my switch a little easier.

Look at it this way... unless you're like the few on here that checked just about every box for options, you'll probably wonder what it was like if you checked a couple more you were on the fence about or didn't think about at the time. If you have any doubts, just do it, the last thing you want is to regret it later. In the end, I'm sure you'll be VERY happy with what you get. I definitely am.

Last edited by slw23; 05-05-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
pcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the roughpcst is a jewel in the rough
I love my Bose system, I'm probably happy with it since I didn't pay full price on it. I'm the 2nd owner

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bose Audio Package or Not?