Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

AC drains...water in footwell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
That's interesting. Wonder if there is a secondary drain on the other side? The AC evaporator coil is on the passengers side.. and all the other (rather numerous) posts I've seen about the condensate drain indicate it's on the passengers side.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...lp-needed.html

Just curious - do you have the 4 zone system? That apparently has it's own drain for the rear evaporator..

Old 06-20-2011, 01:49 PM
xsrfs is on a distinguished road
This is driving me nuts. It sounds like there is a couple of drains serve multiple components. Here's what going on: There is water spilling out when the AC is ON. It is definitely condensation. (if it matters, the vehicle is in NA so its left hand drive)It spills out from the right side of the footwell where there appears to be a black plastic drain liner running down from the firewall. Who has an answer?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:05 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
If it's coming out on the drivers side, I'd be looking at the drain on the passengers side to see why water isn't dumping out of it.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:15 PM
And this is best reached from under the glove box or the wheel well or both?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by xsrfs
And this is best reached from under the glove box or the wheel well or both?
I'd look at both ends - R&R the wheel liner and find the beastie, then I'd remove the door in the bottom of the HVAC housing, pull out the filter (might be a good time to replace it) and see if there is crap in there causing it to plug up.

I'd suggest the outside first since if the housing is full of water - removing the door is going to dump it in the passengers wheel well... and others have gotten the majority of the water out by clearing out the bottom end of it. From the parts illustrations, the drain tube is only a few inches long (but accurate scale isn't a given on the parts illustrations.)

Old 06-20-2011, 02:28 PM
To sum it all up. The drain is probably clogged on the passengers side causing it to dump into the drivers side.Thanks! I will that that today.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:31 PM
jrblackbox is on a distinguished road
clogged drain

I just had a problem with a drain being clogged, but it was from rainwater from the sunroof drains. Is it possible though that these different drains run into the same "reservoir" for lack of a better term.
I took the passenger wheel and then liner out and unclogged that drain,it was easy to spot with debris hanging out of it. There is also another drain located behind the front wheels. The passenger side where I had the problem was also clogged.
So I unclogged 2 drains, both on the passenger side. The one behind the wheel well liner is located higher than the one that is lower and behind the wheel, it looks like a nipple.
Good luck

Old 08-03-2013, 08:46 PM
grimreapersupra is on a distinguished road
Was this problem ever solved??? My wife's Cayenne just started doing the same thing...

Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
vreynaud will become famous soon enough
i ended up removing the cover on the footwell of passenger side, connect a vaccum and try to suck the excess water, it fixed temporarely, but then when in the shop for other reasons, they blew it out and seem to have helped.
it seems to come back every so often... maybe someone has found the cure?

Old 08-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by vreynaud
i ended up removing the cover on the footwell of passenger side, connect a vaccum and try to suck the excess water, it fixed temporarely, but then when in the shop for other reasons, they blew it out and seem to have helped.
it seems to come back every so often... maybe someone has found the cure?
Have you checked your sunroof drains? I see you're in LA where it doesn't rain a lot, but once in a while..

The drains are in the front corners, and can be seen with a bright flashlight with the sunroof open. When they plug up, the recess for them overfills and drips down along the inside of the A pillar, ending up in the footwell.

I suspect in NJ where we get lots of rain, and lots of pollen, I should do this yearly.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 PM
eddyed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 2009 Cayenne Turbo S Leaking water underneath passenger side

FYI
I just had the same issue on my 2009 Cayenne Turbo S, it is very simple...the drain hose in underneath the passenger side as well as the reservoir for the condensation (which was completely full), the hose goes thru the panel out to the engine side which is only cover by a rubber kind of plug (flapper) which open with the wait of the water. I noticed mine was duty which made it stick not opening even when the hose was full of water. I used a hanger to push it open and some air to get rid off of the dirt around it.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:34 PM
eddyed is on a distinguished road
Btw

on my 2009 turbo S, there is nothing you can damage by us using the hanger, just go easy as you don't want to rip off the rubber flapper (i call it)

Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Mang0 is on a distinguished road

Arrow shows area where leak seems to occur

I seem to be having the same problem, drains in the wheel wells are fine. Water seems to be related to the A/C and pools on the driver's side.

Pic attached.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 PM
jimmygee is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar problem.

Late last summer I would get in my car to find the windows fogged with a lot of moisture. I couldn't find the source. Then a couple months ago, my girlfriend was riding in the front passenger seat and told me that something wet dripped on her foot. Again, could find nothing. Then a couple weeks ago, something dripped on my foot as I was driving.

I presumed I'd had AC condensate drains backing up but never heard any liquid sloshing around.

However, yesterday as I was reaching backward from the driver seat to put something onto rear passenger seat, large wet streaks running front to back on rear passenger floor mat caught my eye. I felt the mat with my hand and it was indeed rather wet. I then looked at the floor mat at front passenger and saw similar but larger water streaks running front to back. When I pressed on the floor mat and carpet at front passenger, I was surprised to find it very wet and squishy with cool water. So when I got home I vacuumed it all out with my shop vac and then today I took a closer look.

What I found for my problem is this:

The condensate drain resides under the glove box area and the downward oriented condensate drain tube makes a 90 degree turn toward the front of the vehicle there in the front of the foot well. This drain is located about center (left to right) and so just look for the hump on the bottom panel that covers it. At this 90 degree turn is where the rubber drain tubing connects to the drain pipe and then the rubber tubing penetrates through the firewall.

To access and look, all I had to do was remove the single T20 screw that secures the black cover panel, then remove the panel. The insulation on the backside of the panel in the region of the drain connection was soaked also.

When I separated the tubing from the pipe end at the 90, about a cup of water gushed out. Therefore, it seemed obvious that somewhere downstream of this was restriction to drain flow. However, it seemed all that exists downstream is the continuing section of tubing. So I took a coat hanger, bent it straight, and poked it into the tube from inside of the cabin until I could hear it clinking against something in the engine well. There was no resistance to doing this which was a surprise to me since I anticipated some debris.

I also had the hood open and so took a look from the engine side and although it's difficult to see, I could see the section of coat hanger that passed through and traced it back to see what only seems to be some sort of rubber lip end of the tubing that penetrated to the engine side. When I removed the hanger and examined it, there was some sludge of sorts on it but that was all.

My guess is that the rubber outlet portion of the tube got gunked up and sealed itself with sludge.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160612_165614a.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	450837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160612_150514a.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	450838   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160612_150523a.jpg
Views:	1002
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	450839  

Last edited by jimmygee; 06-12-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:24 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Yep that's the condensate drain from the AC evaporator. If there was sludge on the coat hanger it could just mean you poked a little hole through it. I'd suggest getting a small bottle brush or something and seeing if you can clean it out better. Like someone mentioned in previous post if you aren't seeing a pretty good size puddle of water just inboard of your passenger tire after driving for awhile then something is plugging it up or it's become disconnected.

I need to change my cabin filter and will be making sure that drain is cleaned out while in there. I also need to check my roof drains this summer to make sure they don't clog up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AC drains...water in footwell