Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Turbo vs. Turbo S

Old 05-08-2011, 11:15 PM
AttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura about
Turbo vs. Turbo S

Looking at 2008/2009 Turbo and Turbo S'.

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between the two-obviously major horsepower gain, but is it that noticeable? Thanks!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Just bought a 2008 Turbo, but haven't driven the Turbo and Turbo S back-to-back. From what I understand, the only difference is slight larger intercoolers and intercooler piping to the turbos, upgraded brakes, in conjunction with a different factory ECU tune for that added HP/TQ gain.

All together, not worth the MSRP upcharge of ~$30K IMO.

I opted for a ECU tune for the standard turbo that will yield just under 600hp/tq for under $3K.

So my Turbo will be faster than the factory Turbo S for only 10% of the upcharge price.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:37 AM
FadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of lightFadeToBlack is a glorious beacon of light
Doesn't it have more standard options, like PCCB?

Old 05-09-2011, 11:11 AM
skier is on a distinguished road
2009 model Cayennes also come with an updated PCM that includes bluetooth etc...

Old 05-09-2011, 11:58 AM
AttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura aboutAttorneyMike has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Just bought a 2008 Turbo, but haven't driven the Turbo and Turbo S back-to-back. From what I understand, the only difference is slight larger intercoolers and intercooler piping to the turbos, upgraded brakes, in conjunction with a different factory ECU tune for that added HP/TQ gain.

All together, not worth the MSRP upcharge of ~$30K IMO.

I opted for a ECU tune for the standard turbo that will yield just under 600hp/tq for under $3K.

So my Turbo will be faster than the factory Turbo S for only 10% of the upcharge price.

This is kind of the same thing I was thinking-is the 20k price difference worth it? Seems like maybe not.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
Ceramics are never a standard option in ANY model.
Pdcc is standard with the turbo and turbo s I believe so no differences there. Main differences are all related to the 50 extra horses I think.

Just to throw a curveball, but I'd rather have the new 2011/2012 cayenne S over a dated turbo or turbo s.

You can always mod the newer.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jace
Pdcc is standard with the turbo
Not for the 2008 Turbo... that was a $3,500 option. It wasnt that easy to find in a CPO for me. I am assuming that due to the price, most people didnt opt for it.

Originally Posted by Jace
I'd rather have the new 2011/2012 cayenne S over a dated turbo or turbo s.

You can always mod the newer.
I researched this and from what I gathered from the forums, there isn't a remotely cost effective way to add enough HP/TQ to get the Cayenne S to the 550HP ballpark of the factory Turbo S. (I think I someone threw out a wild guess of about 20K to add a turbo kit after the fact on this board or rennlist)

Now if you can do with a little less power, then I think this is a feasible option.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
TurboS has much larger brakes and must use 19" wheels or larger. TurboS has different sized tires front and back. Brake jobs cost much more on the TurboS.

I believe the TurboS came with PDCC standard while it was an option on the Turbo. [My Turbo doesn't have it. While PDCC helps with cornering, my understanding is that it is not useful in off-road modes when the sway bars are disengaged and may negate that.]

Overall, the Turbo can be more versatile with larger 18" tires and the Advanced Off-Road Package [Mine has that package and it adds weight to the SUV but allows me to go more places!]; however, the TurboS is more of a highway machine. The other difference is the TurboS tends to be a garage queen.

Tires for the TurboS are more limited since the brakes are too large to accomodate 18's. On my Turbo I run winter 18's and summer 18" AT tires and 20" OEM Diamaris. Front tires and rears are the same and can be rotated.

I'm a firm believer in buying it the way I want it rather than modding or customizing.

Costs of brakes and tires should be lower for the Turbo. However, I think the MPG rating is the exact same for all three variants of the gas V8's!

It really comes down to uses and applications for me. Besides, I lucked into this one; it's paid for.