Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Brake pad replacement survey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
ravnet is on a distinguished road
Brake pad replacement survey

Here is my 09 Cayenne (bought new) brake pad replacement history:

At 12K miles, front brakes needed replacing, replaced.

At 20K miles, rear brakes need replacing, front brakes needed replacing, front rotors need replacing. My car is in the shop right now and I haven't started any work on it yet.

When I asked the service person why my front brakes only lasted 8K miles since the last replacement, she asked "do you drive around hills?". She also said that Porsche doesn't use Asbestos anymore in their brakes, and that the brake pads they use now are softer and wear faster, can anyone verify if this is true? I don't drive the car hard, I don't drive on hills, mainly freeway driving (I live in LA)

I'm trying to figure out if this brake wear is normal for Cayennes (not S or Turbos), could you Cayenne owners kindly post what your brake replacement history has been like? I'm smelling a lemon but I want to see what the community has experienced.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Jace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of lightJace is a glorious beacon of light
With my old 2008 cayenne GTS made it 30k miles before I needed to replace fronts and I do live in CO and drive mountains and spirited.
On my new CTT with ceramics no idea what I have in store down the road.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned
ogomez79 is on a distinguished road
35k on stock pads

Old 06-07-2011, 12:42 PM
xsrfs is on a distinguished road
Good idea for a thread....light years ahead of the 50 or so useless "I just picked up my new cayenne" threadsI just got mine so i don't need breaks yet. A dealer service rep told me 12-15k miles is average. I find that low so maybe he was just trying to push work for his company. In my opinion and knowlege, Its all driving habits. I come from the audi world and i know a bunch of people with almost the exact same car and the life of their brakes varied from driver driver, location, etc.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:58 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
My first set came off my C at 25K and they were only half warn. I am riding on Hawk ceramics now for the last 8K and they look brand new - def a harder compound. Any chance you have a 2 foot driver in the family

Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
We live in the mountains, so we put lots of stress on brakes. Our Cayenne S generally goes through a set of pads in about 40K miles. I just had the second set of front pads done at 81K miles. I also had the rotors done for the first time. When the pads were originally done at roughly 40K miles, the rotors were still within spec so I didn't change them. The rears have been done only once, and I think I can get a few thousand miles out of them before I do them again.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
try hawks, less dust and longer lasting.

i cant really fault the pads, look what they have to stop, a friggin tank.