Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

new problems: PSM failure workshop, airsuspension, and probably transmission

Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 AM
zzzx is on a distinguished road
Regarding the air suspension workshop he suggested that sometimes it was the sensor at the wheel like the result that CPA got from the shop. Again we could not scan it since it was not there at the moment.
I have not put in the air pump rebuilt kit yet because I am waiting for the air pump body to come. Will see how the new pump works.
My truck has two battery. The one at back has 0306 on one of the posts. I suppose it was the original one. Very little water left inside so we serviced it. And my friends testing equipment shows it was okay afterwards. Not sure how good is the equipment but he told me it costs $1300 for the tester. We will see

Last edited by zzzx; 08-14-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:46 AM
CPA I doubt that the misalignment Will trigger the cel. It will likely trigger the Psm.
And 100ah and 110ah battery difference should not be a problem unless u use a lot of electric stuff in the truck when u drive stop and go for a long time Still 10% capacity difference should not be a problem here. The design tolerance should cover that 10%
I would get the air suspension sensor done first. Then put the 18s back and reset all the lights. Then see what happens.
Keep us posted.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
cpa
cpa is on a distinguished road
Cole,

Thanks... will try that one.

I only have one battery. I'm beginning to think it is my Level Sensor that is causing all this. Anyway, part has been ordered... will update once installed.

Thanks.

CPA

Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
cpa
zzzx,

I had my wheels aligned last friday also. It didnt do any help with the PSM failure lighting. I hope and believe its only the level sensor that is causing all these. Part has been ordered and I hope all will be fine after that.

I will also then try to switch back to the 18s to see if it did make any difference.

By the way, my cam/cranshaft has also been lighting when diagnosed, but comes and goes. My cayenne has 80k miles. Anyway, I'm not sure if the sensors need to be cleaned. I'll observe this once I change my level sensor.

Also, every morning, when I start my car, my PSM failure light is fine. However, after an average of 15 minutes driving, and it always happens when car is idle or in traffic, car/engine shuts down. When I turn the car back on, the PSM failure light shows up. Car never shuts down when PSM failure light is on.

Any thoughts....?

Additional info: both my front air suspension has been replaced already last year. They are both new... so, I believe it is only the sensor. (front right)

Thanks!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:23 PM
CPA
How was the alignment? Was it way off?
I really do not know about the Psm problem. I wonder why it shuts down the engine.
My cam/crank light comes and goes and it never shows up in the system info/warning section on the dash display. It only shows up as a small CEL light. That's pretty strange to me since even refuel warning shows up at the system info/warning section. How's yours??
Hope we could figure these out. Lol
Enjoy

Last edited by zzzx; 08-02-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:30 PM
cpa
zzzx,

the alignment was not way off. very minor adjustment. i really think the problem is my level sensor. now, they couldnt calibrate the air suspension, until the sensor arrives. right now, the air suspension is not functioning. it wouldnt go up nor down. i tried to adjust the level and it said it was charging and immediately, the psm light turned on. thus, i think the air suspension is causing the psm failure light to turn on.

anyway, the sensor should be installed soon and i will update you once its done.

thanks.

CPA

Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Hey CPA could u pass me the part number for the front right side level sensor p/n and maybe the price and the place u got it if u do not mind.
I got my pump body and the piston ring replaced. I was surprised to see how rusty they were under the rocker panel. One of the bolts actually snapped.
But on the way home after I replaced them front passenger side was about 1" lower than left side and the air suspension light came up. I guess i should get the sensor changed too.
Thanks.

Last edited by zzzx; 08-14-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
some updates here in case someone needs the info later on:
1, replaced the pump body(not including the motor half) as well as the pistion ring, o-ring and 2 bolts. easy DIY job. one of the bolts rusted and snapped and took me longer.
2, the brown air line was not inserted in the fitting properly in the first place and there was a major leakage in the system. that slowed down the adjustment and triggered the red warning light and front end of the car was about 2" lower than the rear.
Durametric says no signal from air pressure sensor and dealer could not find any air pressure sensor any where in the parts list. turned out to be the fitting that holds the brown tube.
3, also checked the air distribution panel near the pump. no leakage there.

OT, some green rust on one of the exhause pipe before the muffler box. turns out to be the acid from the second battery. breath hole is located right on the top of the pipe and when I parked on my sloppy driveway, the acid came out and drop on the pipe. a design bug i think.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 AM
cpa
Hi zzzx,

Did you still need the part # for the level sensor front right? I left the part in the shop but I can post the part number tomorrow. Anyway, level sensor finally arrived and was changed today. After it was changed, it had to be calibrated and finally, the air suspension workshop light was fixed. Now, the problem is that my Car wouldnt start after the reset esp when warm. The only fault in my cayenne now is the crankshaft sensor. I tried to have it cleaned but still it would light when diagnosed. I will know tomorrow what the exact problem is. However, I will surely need to order a new crankshaft sensor. What do you know of the problems it can cause it the sensor needs to be replaced?

Hope your car is fine now!

CPA

Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 AM
Good morning CPA,
good to hear that your air suspension problem is gone. mine works fine so far after I changed the pump body and the piston rings. it would be nice to have the part number for the level sensor though. in case i need in the future or whoever read our notes here need it.

for the crankshaft sensor, I always have the P0016 "crankshaft positon camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A" problem. the light comes and goes and it never shows up at the vehicle info section on the dash display. I was told that changing the sensors would not fix the problem. Rather it is the timing correlation of these two shafts, so I have to get the timing chain adjusted/replaced. I remember the reading on the Durametric for the two camshaft is -6 degree and the other is -15 degree. and I was told that the -15 degree is a little too much. car drives normal so I guess I will get it done when I have time.
what is your CEL code? how hard it is to change the sensor? how many hours of labor?
let me know. Thank,
Good luck

Old 02-24-2012, 07:02 PM
ringnalda is on a distinguished road
similar problems

My '04 has one new front tire, but psm workshop light only comes on under hard acceleration. I also have a huge vibration under hard acceleration, and it has a new driveshaft properly fitted. All the PRND lights are on, even though transmission shifts normal and functions as it should. Did anybody ever troubleshoot this and come up with a cause?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM
rads410 is on a distinguished road
PSM failure

I have a 2004 Cayenne turbo, about 76K miles, was running great, recently started getting ABSfailure error, PSM failure error, and then after some time Brake proportioning error. Ultimately lose speedometer and brake light begins to flash. Also noticing grabbing in the drivers side front area, grinding almost. Usually occurs from a stop but resolves with increased acceleration. Any thoughts or just take it to porsche dealer. PS just before this started happening I did have all four brake pads replaced...thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:04 PM
fast996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rads410
I have a 2004 Cayenne turbo, about 76K miles, was running great, recently started getting ABSfailure error, PSM failure error, and then after some time Brake proportioning error. Ultimately lose speedometer and brake light begins to flash. Also noticing grabbing in the drivers side front area, grinding almost. Usually occurs from a stop but resolves with increased acceleration. Any thoughts or just take it to porsche dealer. PS just before this started happening I did have all four brake pads replaced...thanks in advance.
bumping this- rads , you ever find out what caused the Brake Proportioning error and no speedometer ?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:46 PM
rads410 is on a distinguished road
fast996

Everyone says it is the battery which is over 10 years old, causing all the error messages. I am having it replaced at the end of march so will let you know.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM
aedeleons is on a distinguished road
PSM workshop light

Originally Posted by rads410
Everyone says it is the battery which is over 10 years old, causing all the error messages. I am having it replaced at the end of march so will let you know.
Did the problem get solved after changing the battery? I have 2004 Cayenne S with only one battery under drivers seat and has about 4 years, so don't know if I should replace it because I am also having PSM workshop light.

Also CPA, when you replaced level sensor did PSM workshop light dissapear?

And zzzzx, by fixing prints on air compressor did this do anything on PSM workshop light?

Thanks to all!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new problems: PSM failure workshop, airsuspension, and probably transmission