Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

JL AUDIO 1/250 AMP in 2003 Cayenne with Bose - is it possible

Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 AM
being11 is on a distinguished road
JL AUDIO 1/250 AMP in 2003 Cayenne with Bose - is it possible

Hello all

I am wondering, is it possible to install a JL Audio 1/250 amp into trunk space and remove the stock bose subwoofer?

Secondly, is the wiring that comes goes into the Bose sub/amp enclosure compatible with the JL Audio Amp?

I am trying to figure out a simple solution to hook up at Sub/amp combo without messing around too much.

thanks for help/suggestions!!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM
zweebach is on a distinguished road
I don't know about the JL 1/250, but there's a great thread that show's other installs that members have done. Looks quite easy to upgrade the sub/amplifier.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...b-upgrade.html

Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
I upgraded mine by placing the amp where the air canister was (next to the subwoofer) and using wire taps (no wires to cut). I did not remove the bose sub at all, but just have a wire running to a small banpass sub box that sits in the rear luggage area. 2 second removal of the sub box and you would never no its there. Because I used wire taps, there is no issue going back to stock. Just follow the wiring in this picture and you will be fine:

amp remote turn on: Small Red wire
amp main power: large red wire
main ground: large brown wire
Green / White: high gain input

Old 07-16-2011, 02:40 AM
being11 is on a distinguished road
@roxxboxxx- thanks for the info, I did see your post.
Once issue I have heard is that the higher guage OEM power wires won't provide enough voltage to adequately power an amp/sub combo and that you need to run thicker guage power cables to the amp. have you had any issues with power or popping fuses? thanks again!!

Old 07-17-2011, 01:00 PM
roxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant futureroxboxxx has a brilliant future
Zero issues and I am running a big bazooka amp in bridge mode and even tested it with the amp AND the Bose sub amp plugged in at the same time. You would need some serious power to max it out.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned
Jnguyen87 is on a distinguished road
i know this is an old thread, but RoxBoxxx In the Cayenne, are there two seperate Bose amps? One for the speakers? and One for the sub?
If there is a seperate one for the Sub I can see you would probably just completely disconnect and the Bose one and use your alpine to run the Sub Correct?

If not What did you do exactly? Do you just use the wires for the sub and connect to the new Amp while leaving the wires in the bose for the door speakers? And the smaller gauge wires that are used for the Bose amp is able to run for the aftermarket sub and Amp setup?

Any Help IS greatly Appreciated! Thanks!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I did this mod a couple of months ago. The only part that has to be removed is the entire stock subwoofer assembly to gain access to that area.

Other than that, the picture is self-explanatory.

No problems with the small gauge wiring if you are running an small efficient digital amp as recommended.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jnguyen87
i know this is an old thread, but RoxBoxxx In the Cayenne, are there two seperate Bose amps? One for the speakers? and One for the sub?
If there is a seperate one for the Sub I can see you would probably just completely disconnect and the Bose one and use your alpine to run the Sub Correct?

If not What did you do exactly? Do you just use the wires for the sub and connect to the new Amp while leaving the wires in the bose for the door speakers? And the smaller gauge wires that are used for the Bose amp is able to run for the aftermarket sub and Amp setup?

Any Help IS greatly Appreciated! Thanks!
PM'd you

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned
Hey RoBoxxx, i don't think i can receive PMs yet. Not enough posts i think. Could you just copy your PM to me in an email? J.H.nguyen87@gmail.com. That would be a lot of help thanks!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Banned
RoxBoxxx could you copy that PM into an email to me at j.h.nguyen87@gmail.com? Having a post count before you can send PMs is ridiculous!

Old 09-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
That was my Amp pictured above... the Bose Subwoofer used a dedicated amp so I was able to tie into that to run my Alpine MRP-M500 which is a 500 watt amp. No issues with fuses or overheating. Ran great!

P.S. This was in my 2004 CTT

Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM
kas930 is on a distinguished road
I thought that I'd share some pics of a little idea that I had based on some previous post regarding similiar subject matter. I too have suffered stock bose sub amp failure due to water getting into that area from someone where (I haven't tried to find the source of the leak yet (assume it sunroof drain related)). I happened to have an Alpine amp and a kicker compettion sub laying around. So rather than try to replace the failed sub, I thought this might be an interesting approach. All I have left to do is a little wet sanding of the primer, spray top coat and finish up the wiring. Thoughts/comments are welcome.

Attached Images   
Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 PM
RoxBoxxx could you copy that PM into an email to me at j.h.nguyen87@gmail.com? Having a post count before you can send PMs is ridiculous!
I'll just post it here.

1. There are 2 amps in a cayenne that has a bose system. The sub amp is actually in the big plastic bose sub box (hence the need to supply it with power) and the second amp is in the right kick luggage kick panel and powers the remaining speakers. In my case the amp sits directly on top of my rear CD changer.

2. if you do not want to use the bose sub, you can just leave it where it is, unplug the big connector that contains the signal, power, ground, etc. and then tap your new amp into the wires as shown in the picture. I have actually run both at the same time to see what would happen. NO ISSUES. Its actually nice to leave the bose sub where it is and plugged in as there will be occasions where you need to load up the storage area and remove your external sub (like my bandpass box). When that happens you will still have what little low end the Bose sub puts out - it's better then nothing !
I have been running my setup like this for quite some time with no issues.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Banned
Thanks for the response Rox! I opened my right luggage kick panel the other day..And it was completely empty?? No CD changer, and no amp. Is it obvious and visible right when you remove that kick panel cover?

Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the response Rox! I opened my right luggage kick panel the other day..And it was completely empty?? No CD changer, and no amp. Is it obvious and visible right when you remove that kick panel cover?

Maybe I missed it but, why do you need access to the main amp? I though you wanted to install a new sub?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JL AUDIO 1/250 AMP in 2003 Cayenne with Bose - is it possible