Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Aftermarket DVD China - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:33 PM
Cheet22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi sureshot

Thanks so much for sharing this detail. I'm about ready to take the plunge myself and this was invaluable.

I fitted a similar unit to my previous range rover and loved it.

One question - what was the model number of your unit? I'm in touch with a company called Erisin, who seek via their own website and eBay. Same folks in Hong Kong I bought my last unit from.

But they have 2 or actually 3 units all looking almost identical for Cayenne. Mine is a 2003 turbo incidentally, with the Bose system so I definitely want the most connection.

Thanks again
​​​​​​

Old 03-05-2017, 04:15 PM
sureshot is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Cheet22

Not too sure what the model number is, but if you PM me I can send you the link to where I bought it and you can make a comparison. Price seems to have gone up a bit. Either that or I bought it on one of their regular sale events....can't remember.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by sureshot
Hi Cheet22

Not too sure what the model number is, but if you PM me I can send you the link to where I bought it and you can make a comparison. Price seems to have gone up a bit. Either that or I bought it on one of their regular sale events....can't remember.
Sureshot...

Ok i went for it and its all installed and looks great. I got a 3097C model from Erisin.com, looks identical to yours.

I added dab radio (not great reception so need to play with supplied aerial more), digital TV (perfect picture when stationary, breaks up a bit on the move). I plan to add rear camera when weather picks up (snow here)

The fitting was real easy, as you said hardest part is getting unit in with all cables, but managed it. I also threaded aerials for TV and dab radio across from middle to under each side of dash, then up back to a pillars. TV had two aerials for this you see.

I do have a couple questions though.

The most fibre box - mine needed ground, 12v and "Acc". Ground and 12v easy but where did you get ACC? I ran a fused wire to fuse box and tapped into an ignition live but this means sound cuts when you switch off but leave key in... And won't come back unless you remove key and start over. Like if i drive then stop while wife goes in shop, if i turn engine off normally i can still listen to music, but now i have to remove key and re insert and put to ignition position 2 for sound to work. Yours the same? I think there is no accessory wire in the car as the canbus takes care of it normally.

Second question - did you re use any of the factory aerials? I did for radio and works great, but wondering if i can use the other two for my TV or dab of i buy fakra to sma adapters. Think i am talking about the diversity aerials here but not sure.

But overall happy. I've seen an eBay ad for an updated SD card with later igo maps plus Lifetime map updates for £18 i might try too. My maps seem to be from 2014.

Cheers again for the drive to do this! Million times better than stock

Old 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Hey Cheet,

Glad it is working out for you, I certainly have no regrets. To answer your questions, if I turn ignition off but leave my key inserted, the radio stays on. There is indeed an ACC wire, it is part of the main wiring harness and is labeled as such on my loom. It is the red wire. I simply splice into this and heat shrunk her down. All good. If the pics uploaded OK, it's the one with the red arrow where the green arrow is the most adaptor and the yellow diamond is the main wiring connector which brings power to the unit (and had the red ACC wire). If your unit is pretty much the same as mine and you splice into that as I did, I would expect your unit to function just like mine does. I also used this ACC cable to install the USB charger plug. The audio/data USB is direct into the unit. I just finished doing the USB install and am not really that happy with it (although it works just fine), so more future work there.

I used the factory radio aerial and that's it. I didn't want DAB or TV, so don't need the aerials for it. Not sure which one of those would work out best for you to use to be honest.

Hope all that helps!

Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2017, 05:39 AM
Originally Posted by sureshot
Hey Cheet,

Glad it is working out for you, I certainly have no regrets. To answer your questions, if I turn ignition off but leave my key inserted, the radio stays on. There is indeed an ACC wire, it is part of the main wiring harness and is labeled as such on my loom. It is the red wire. I simply splice into this and heat shrunk her down. All good. If the pics uploaded OK, it's the one with the red arrow where the green arrow is the most adaptor and the yellow diamond is the main wiring connector which brings power to the unit (and had the red ACC wire). If your unit is pretty much the same as mine and you splice into that as I did, I would expect your unit to function just like mine does. I also used this ACC cable to install the USB charger plug. The audio/data USB is direct into the unit. I just finished doing the USB install and am not really that happy with it (although it works just fine), so more future work there.

I used the factory radio aerial and that's it. I didn't want DAB or TV, so don't need the aerials for it. Not sure which one of those would work out best for you to use to be honest.

Hope all that helps!
Once again, thanks for the info. I need to pull the unit again then next weekend and see if i can get this red wire. I tried to find a feed when key in but none showed up. But maybe I missed it.

your USB looks interesting. Where you have that i have the height adjuster and shock adjuster so not sure if you removed those or don't have them?

For now I've left the use extensions tucked under the centre console and plan to bring them into cubby eventually. However, not really sure how i need these going forward that much.

Related, I plan to put a qi wireless pad just at far front of the center console, a pad that is 80mm deep so it just fits. Plan is i can just use that to charge my phone (Samsung) - or other car had one of these built in and it's pretty convenient!

I've got music on a micro SD card in the slot - so that's fine for extended music lists. On that, the unit days or only takes 32gb cards, but i have a 64gb working just fine formatted as NTFS.

Let you know how i get on with that wire soon

Paul

Old 03-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Hey Paul

The USB sockets I put in for a couple of reasons: One, the missus is always letting her phone go flat and the other is so I can play streaming tunes or try using the phone with USB tethering for the Wifi, as it doesn't work flawlessly over Wifi due t previously mentioned noises. I also put a charging and a data socket in the back of the centre console below the 12v outlet, so the kids can use or charge both their ipods on the go. May come in handy on road trips, may not. Time will tell. With a QI or similar charger though, all it will do is charge, it won't let me access the phone, look at pics or podcasts on the bigger screen of the unit and so on. At least, that's the theory. Despite what the sellers say, I'm going to try and see if a USB external HDD works with the unit and if so, I'll be good for tunes and flicks for ever, particularly if I route the AV out and put in a rear screen for the anklebiters.

My centre console design does differ from yours. I have a Cayenne S and you a Turbo, so as standard, yours came with variable air suspension where mine came with fixed steel springs. So, as you noticed, I have a couple less controls than you do, but it did give a (sort of) convenient location for the sockets. Like I said though, I am not happy with them and will rebuild this sooner or later. It's not an easy place to locate them though as the underside of the control module contains a PCB that goes the full width and takes some surgery and fiddling about to get it all wired in. I didn't want to wire the sockets inside the centre armrest cos' I reckoned they'd never get used, so it seemed like the best place. There are no spare or blank buttons in the dash to use, so choice is limited.

Anyhow, be interesting to see if your wiring looms are different to mine, or any other little differences pop up, but in the meantime, congrats on the purchase and good luck finding that red wire!

If you still ave problems, let me know and I'll send you the pin-out showing which wire it is.

Andy

Old 04-01-2017, 02:41 AM
me again...

well, I planned on finding that red wire this weekend, but, before that I wanted to fix another issue I had - difficult starting - which has now managed to kill the unit I think!

The car for past month has got progressively worse at starting - it would crank for like 10+ seconds then fire. It starts fine after switch off and back on within a few mins, but leave it for any length of time and it just struggles to start.

I figured it was fuel - and googling came to the conclusion I should first try changing fuel filter - as this has a check valve. So I figured fuel was not being retained under pressure for next fire. Anyway, yesterday I got out of work early and changed that filter. Bit of a pain of a job, but not hard at all and did inside a couple hours, with tea in between..... ANyway, as part of that, I disconnected battery at point front of front seat..when I replaced it sparked a bit (as you expect) and car started just fine.

However, seems now the radio unit is dead. It has the buttons illuminated but no screen at all. Its just not booting at all. Tried a reset with pin, held power button, nothing. fuse in back is ok, and in car fuse box. It deffo has power, but is just dead...so ive contacted Erisin this morning to see how I get a replacement or any other ideas.

So I'll need to hold on the wiring till I hear back. For now, ive reverted to stock system ....man its like going back 10 years!

Anyway, on plus side, this morning after sitting all night, car fired first time of cranking...lovely. So hopefully that's one thing fixed...but now another to sort...!

Andy, where are you in UK?

Paul

Old 04-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Hey Paul,

An unwelcome development to be sure. I wonder if the way in which you initially wired it up created a gradual battery drain.....I'm not a vehicle electrician, but have heard of similar things. Oddly, and maybe coincidentally, I had to change out my battery a couple of months ago due to poor starting. That completely solved my starting issues and had no bearing on the operation of the unit at all but who knows? I think it was the original 8 year old battery, so due a swap out anyway I reckon.

If it was me, considering how quick it is to swap out units, I'd reinstall it - trying to find the ACC wire as I went and see if it makes a difference - doesn't sound like you have anything to lose. If not, continue to seek direction from Erisin. Hopefully they have good customer service and can help fix it. Of course, it could just be kaput now from a power surge or whatnot, but it might be worth a try. I had to connect and disconnect power countless times while fiddling away with it since I got it - including the battery swap - but it has always flicked straight into life.

By the way, although I am British, I now live on the beautiful Pacific coast of Canada not the UK!

Cheers

Andy