Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

957 - HID/Bi-Xenon - Headlight Blackout w/ Lens Mod [PICS]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM
rymo926 is on a distinguished road
nice work

Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by X5X
Where can I find some more information on the lenses? And where can I but them?
You can view more information on the lenses on Matt's TRS site and can buy them there as well.

Originally Posted by X5X
Doing a custom headlight project myself, Matte black and gloss, with BI-XENON cornering lights and BI-XENON highbeams. And suggestion as to which Xenon bulb I should replace the factory ones with? They are not BI-XENON on the 955, Just standard XENON.
According to Sylvania's site, the 955 standard Xenon uses D1S bulbs.

One of the more popular bulbs, which is the same ones that I am using, is the OSRAM Xenarc 5000K Cool Blue Intense HID bulbs. They make a D1S and D2S variant. The model for the D1S is: 66144.

Originally Posted by rymo926
nice work
Thanks! - Much appreciated.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Update:

Even though the light output is much improved, I think I might be slightly out of focus, so I ordered the ZKW-R lenses to swap out the STi-R lenses. They should be here by the beginning of next week.

I also received my OSRAM D2S Xenarc 5000K Cool Blue Intense HID bulbs. I have to use them for about 6 hours for them to "warm up" to 5000K. I will post up pics soon after I perform the lens swap and put some hours on the bulbs- looks promising!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 AM
TRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud of
yeah I think the zkw will do you some good especially to help bring the cutoff into focus. You could always measure the thickness of your stock lenses with a caliper if you have one (taken at the max) to compare between zkw and sti

you'll love the CBI bulbs when all broken in too.

Lastly, X5X...the 955 actually comes stock with bixenon valeo D1S projectors from the factory, so if yours isn't giving you a high beam mode, something is broken. If both lights aren't going into high, perhaps check your fuse box for a blown high beam fuse. I can consult you on various options for the headlight overhaul, shoot me an email direct to matt@theretrofitsource.com

Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM
bdtzmaru is on a distinguished road
Very nice job! If the CTT were my daily, this is how it would look like.

Are the stock lenses easily switchable or would you have to bake/pry open the headlights? Also, which cornering light bulbs did you go with to match your HID bulbs?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 AM
loveivs is on a distinguished road
My car has blacken headlight and TechArt DRL. Those were nothing compare to what you've done. What a beast!!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by TRSMatt
yeah I think the zkw will do you some good especially to help bring the cutoff into focus. You could always measure the thickness of your stock lenses with a caliper if you have one (taken at the max) to compare between zkw and sti

you'll love the CBI bulbs when all broken in too.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering how the "focus height" was calculated. I just measured the stock lens with my digital caliper, where it measured 27.62mm. So I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for the 22mm STi-R lens and vindicates my efforts to swap them out for the 27mm ZKW-R lens. I wish I knew this earlier.

By the way, I am having a hard time adjusting the manual vertical height of my passenger headlight. It is pointing about 6 inches lower than the driver side. I know for a fact that it was this way before I started my project, where it looks like someone else was tampering with the adjustments before I got my hands on it. I plan on looking at it when I swap out the lenses for a manual fix - hopefully it is not broken. Any suggestions?

Keep in mind that these projectors work in conjunction with the air suspension and have a good degree of motor movement.

Originally Posted by bdtzmaru
Very nice job! If the CTT were my daily, this is how it would look like.
Thanks! I wasn't sure about if it would be worth it, but now I am very happy I am doing it. The end result is more than the sum of the parts.

Are the stock lenses easily switchable or would you have to bake/pry open the headlights?
Sorry, the stock lenses are not "easily" switchable, but doable in the right hands. The glue used will not melt/release in high temps like the butyl glue used in most headlights so you have to cut and pry to release the cover.

You can view Cole's thread for the original information:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...dlights-3.html

Also, which cornering light bulbs did you go with to match your HID bulbs?
I have a set of LED bulbs, however, the color temp is a little too high (read: blue). I will have to revisit this after I get a handle on the final color of the headlight.

Originally Posted by loveivs
My car has blacken headlight and TechArt DRL. Those were nothing compare to what you've done. What a beast!!
Cool! Thanks. If I wasn't modding, I think I would get bored. Running out of reasonable mods now

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-02-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 AM
loveivs is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man

Cool! Thanks. If I wasn't modding, I think I would get bored. Running out of reasonable mods now
Have you blacken the window trim and panel? Stock is silver painted. black trim suits better with your porsche exclusive style ctt

Old 12-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by loveivs
Have you blacken the window trim and panel? Stock is silver painted. black trim suits better with your porsche exclusive style ctt
Yes, thanks for the suggestion. This was one of the first mods I did. I do not know why the default was silver since it brings attention to the window separations - odd.

You can see it in the demo vid I did a while ago here.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Update:

I just re-opened up the headlights and swapped out the 22mm STi-R for the 27mm ZKW-R lens. Not fun to do it twice since I had to pull out all the tricks when prepping to make sure it stays completely dry. I also able to manually recalibrate my passenger projector to match the driver projector height, so I should be 100% good to go as soon as the glue finishes drying.

Here are a few pics of the ZKW-R lens:

27mm ZKW-R lens

Wow.. that is crystal clear!

..so clear in fact that I can read the imprint on the cutoff flap!

I will post up some night pics as soon as the HID bulbs fully break in.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:49 AM
X5X
X5X is on a distinguished road
Nice! Your really tempting me to open up my headlights tonight...

I still have to order the lenses and bulbs though...

Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 AM
TRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud ofTRSMatt has much to be proud of
wow that does look good.

So how does the output compare? did you fire them up before resealing the lenses? There are always other little tweaks and things that can be done to enhance the light output, such as spacing the frame that holds the lens forward from the body of the projector, etc.

There is an entire "underground" to the automotive aftermarket JUST dedicated to projector optics and tweaking headlights, believe me!

Curious to see the difference between the STi-R and ZKW-R on those Hella projectors, which seem like an updated version of their "bread and butter" E55 model.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by X5X
Nice! Your really tempting me to open up my headlights tonight...

I still have to order the lenses and bulbs though...
Cool! Since you have Valeo projectors, I believe that the 22mm STi-R lens will be the right ones for your application (Matt, please verify). If so, I have a set just sitting in my basement. Too bad you are not local - not even domestic, I believe. Get cracking on it and post up some pics.

Originally Posted by TRSMatt
wow that does look good.

So how does the output compare? did you fire them up before resealing the lenses? There are always other little tweaks and things that can be done to enhance the light output, such as spacing the frame that holds the lens forward from the body of the projector, etc.

There is an entire "underground" to the automotive aftermarket JUST dedicated to projector optics and tweaking headlights, believe me!

Curious to see the difference between the STi-R and ZKW-R on those Hella projectors, which seem like an updated version of their "bread and butter" E55 model.
I haven't been about to judge the output yet since the glue was not dry until this morning. I pretty much just popped them in and drove in to work.

I did do a little research over on HIDplanet and saw several people tweaking their Hella projectors with washers to dial it in, just a smidgen more. On these "updated" versions of the Hella, the D2S base/reflector is riveted to the lens holder assembly . So there is no way to "space out" the lens farther away from the bulb- without completely removing the assembly and drilling/grinding off the rivets and using machine screws and nuts. Considering the complexity of these projectors, it did not seem worth the risk of damaging anything. Maybe someone else will be more bold.

I will post up final pics soon. Stay tuned guys.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, we have had consistent precipitation in the NE for the last few days. As soon as the rain goes away, I will take/post the final shots.

It looks very promising. The misses has been very impressed with the lighting improvement over stock as well. The light output is very uniform and easy on the eyes at night.

The silver lining is that I have over 300 rain-soaked miles and my headlights are dry as a whistle inside - zero leakage. So glad all the extra prep work on the second resealing paid off!

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-09-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM
rbb1991 will become famous soon enough
Kent,

Sorry for the delay in giving you props for the blacked out headlights. They look great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 957 - HID/Bi-Xenon - Headlight Blackout w/ Lens Mod [PICS]