Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

957 - HID/Bi-Xenon - Headlight Blackout w/ Lens Mod [PICS]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rbb1991
Kent,

Sorry for the delay in giving you props for the blacked out headlights. They look great.
No worries, Ronnie. Glad you like 'em!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Here are a few pics of the stock D1S 4300K Phillips Xenstart HID bulb and the replacement OSRAM Xenarc 5000K Cool Blue Intense HID bulbs:

Attached Images    

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 09-14-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typeo: Bulb should be D1S instead of D2S
Old 12-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Update - Final Pix:

Matt, I believe these are replica ZKW-R lenses produced by TRS to replicate the clarity and enhance the color output/flicker even more, however, what I am seeing in terms of color output and light intensity with these projectors is just plain nuts!

See what I mean?

Color even spills onto the ground... Driving on rainbows?

Here are some shots taken on a dark side road - not much in terms of ambient light (sorry for the slightly fuzzy shots)

No lights on... boy this is dark

Low beams on (notice color on ground)..

High beams on - let there be light!!!

Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 AM
X5X
X5X is on a distinguished road
Wow!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 PM
GothamCayenne will become famous soon enoughGothamCayenne will become famous soon enough
Every single time I come back to 6speed you're up to some new shenanigans, Kent, you're killing me! Not to mention you're making us all look bad! haha

good stuff, when do you start accepting orders??

Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
e36bmer is on a distinguished road
I love this upgrade. I've been wanting to paint my headlights on my 955 black since before i bought the car.

I have just taken out the projectors to measure the lens, so that I could order replacements. It comes out to the 3" 27mm lens. it measures right at 27mm at the thickest point on the lens. So, I'm ordering a couple of these and some new bulbs. I think I'll actually give it a shot to do some color mods. I've put washers to space out the bottom of projectors on my old M3 and had it looking pretty good.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:52 PM
type957 is on a distinguished road
So I am a little confused on opening one of these, do you have to cut the rim around the lense or not? What temperature to bake them open?

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by type957
So I am a little confused on opening one of these, do you have to cut the rim around the lense or not? What temperature to bake them open?

Thanks!
Yes, you have to cut around the inside lip. There is a link to another member that drew up a diagram on a 955. In terms of oven temp, just keep it on warm which is around 180 - 200 deg F.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:59 AM
revolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to beholdrevolution993 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Yes, you have to cut around the inside lip. There is a link to another member that drew up a diagram on a 955. In terms of oven temp, just keep it on warm which is around 180 - 200 deg F.
If i send you my headlight could you do this for me?
i could pay you

Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 AM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
OP, are you able to do this on a 996 turbo? I'd be happy to mail you my headlights

Old 11-03-2017, 03:00 PM
kenneth_ugalde is on a distinguished road
Sorry for reviving an old thread. In the attache image, what are the round spots ???

That is hideous.

Please explain.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 AM
andrewjt19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Update:

Even though the light output is much improved, I think I might be slightly out of focus, so I ordered the ZKW-R lenses to swap out the STi-R lenses. They should be here by the beginning of next week.

I also received my OSRAM D2S Xenarc 5000K Cool Blue Intense HID bulbs. I have to use them for about 6 hours for them to "warm up" to 5000K. I will post up pics soon after I perform the lens swap and put some hours on the bulbs- looks promising!
I didn't see it in the post, but do you mind posting a bullet list of the steps you took to complete this task? I'm assuming after removing you placed the headlight in oven to remove the lens? From there I'm guessing it was self-explanatory as far as the painting? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by andrewjt19; 03-30-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:50 AM
anthony86 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have also done it by myself, finally it is great when see the person who got the same point about headlight.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM
andrewjt19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by anthony86
I have also done it by myself, finally it is great when see the person who got the same point about headlight.

Could you post a list of the steps by chance? I'm going to be doing this to my wife's CTT this summer and any step by step guide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 AM
ccus911 is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks awesome...especially on the red....the black edge covers look nice too...I saw those and wondered how they would look black because most I've seen were painted body color....I like them black...
I have been brave enough to do plenty of mods on my other Porsches, but was not yet brave enough to open my lights on the CTTS....I was, however, industrious in another way...
I got the part# for the original headlights on the Porsche Design Edition 3 GTS and had my parts guy check the computer...there was one set showing in the system for US and Germany and there were in Atlanta so I had him order them....
They came in and I Installed them yesterday....they look awesome...they were not cheap! If they were not available, I would have been tempted to open mine based upon the impressive successes in this thread...great job guys!
...my CTTS is now begging for black stripes on the hood LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 957 - HID/Bi-Xenon - Headlight Blackout w/ Lens Mod [PICS]