Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Turbo Battery Replacement Guide DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
Originally Posted by B3nz0
On a side note, does anyone know if an optima yellow top or kinetik racing battery will work/fit?

I don't see what the advantage would be on the Cayenne.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
+1 here...not sure if it would be a benefit at all. Put in regular batt with good cold and crank amps into this spot and you will be set.

One thing to make sure it to verify you plug the batt venty hose into new batt before closing it all up. All is exactly as stated in this write up.
Follow this and you will have no issues.

Originally Posted by Cole
I don't see what the advantage would be on the Cayenne.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pcst
I've always wondered why in the hell they put the battery under the driver's seat.....
Have you ever noticed how long the Cayenne battery lasts? That's because it is in a protected environment, with heat in the winter and AC in the summer. Plus there isn't room under the hood with the V8 engine. BMW usually puts them in the trunk, same sort of reasons.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
FWIW, if you have a dual battery Cayenne, the second battery is under the rear floor in the trunk area. So also protected from the environment and low in the chassis.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Frutti_pig is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Battery replacement ( UK spec)

Hi Everyone.

Well after several weeks of putting up with having the Pig on Charge most nights I bit the bullet and bought a new battery.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...guide-diy.html
Following the procedure/tutorials from this forum and from Rennlist and having already purchased the correct tools, I have to say I found the whole process very straight forward. Battery under the passenger seat meant after the two bolts were removed the seat reclined out of the way easily.

I hooked up my CTEK charger to the points under the bonnet so not to lose any of the factory settings.

The Pig had a "Varta" battery....not sure if this was OEM, or a replacement? However I decided to purchase a Bosch Silver Car Battery HSB020 which is not the one shown in the car parts suppliers spec sheet (HSB019 is too small) Put every thing back in reverse order and it fired first time!

Big thanks to everyone who contributes to these site....It really is a big help to newbie Porsche guys like me.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
NP. Just remember, this site is only as good as those who contribute. Sor if you end up doing somethig that woud be good to document, make suer to take some pics and post up DIY for others as well. We all benefit from doing this. Great to see you found easy/free help here.

Originally Posted by Frutti_pig
Hi Everyone....
Big thanks to everyone who contributes to these site....It really is a big help to newbie Porsche guys like me.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:47 PM
nixul is on a distinguished road
Big thanks to the author of this nice guide. Just replace the battery (same as original poster) for my 2008 cayenne turbo. This is so far the biggest DIY I have done on CTT. It took me around one hour with my beloved wife holding the flashlight for me.

Extra note: Since the old battery is absolutely dead, I had to jump start the car after removing to bolts for chair to move the chair forward and backward to fully tilt it down. I bought a dedicated jump battery from costco around $65, which is very convenient to use.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 AM
good man. now, dare yourself to do an oil change, or differential oil change. Once you get in the groove, you will be glad you save a lot of money by doing these things on your own. I dare you too.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:34 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Great write up..I did a pre-emptive replacement last fall and it took 45 min tops on my 2008 Cayenne S. Peace of mind

Old 07-23-2013, 11:06 AM
User 8122 is on a distinguished road
Great write up and very helpful! Do you know if the battery size is the same across the different models - base, S and turbos?

Thanks

Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 AM
Frutti_pig is on a distinguished road
I think base is smaller, other two same.

My battery is still working fine and no issues to report.

Off to Germany soon....autobahn here we come!!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM
tommyg is on a distinguished road
I also want to say a big thanks! Awesome write up! Just changed mine on my 09 S and it was super easy thanks to this!

It had started cranking slower and slower as the weather has been getting colder, so I decided not to try and milk the last electron out of my OE battery

One thing that I did however, was connect my booster pack to the jumper lugs under the hood whilst the terminals were disconnected. I didn't want to take a chance and have to reprogram everything (especially the garage door opener). I'm not sure if this was necessary, or how fast the memory gets smoked out, but it was easy.

Thanks again

Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
I am sure having it so low is better for weight distribution and lower center of gravity. However, it is more complicated than I would prefer. At least you only have to access it once every 5 years, so I guess the minor inconvenience is worth the handling gains.

With weight distribution, I would think that they may have placed it under the passenger side as their is always someone in the Driver seat.

Inconvenient, I agree. It does offer a lower point of weight also. Not sure that myself (140lbs) vs. a (300lbs) would really matter. I could be wrong though. I haven't actually tested this theory.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:46 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Nice DIY! Thank you!

Old 01-25-2014, 12:56 PM
digitaljok is on a distinguished road
H9 (95R) battery group size

Just want to add a few details to this great DIY. First off, I don't know how common it is but my 09 CTTS has one battery under the drivers seat with a 110 Ah capacity, corresponding to the JOZ (or is that J0Z?) option code (850 CCA). After much research, it is a H9 (95R) group size which measures 15 9/16" x 6 15/16" x 7 1/2" (L x W x H). None of the local auto parts computers list H9 (95R) as a compatible size, only the smaller H8 (49) group size with correspondingly reduced 100 Ah capacity (730 CCA). If H8 is indeed the "normal" battery size for most Cayennes, I wonder if the larger battery would fit since the width and height are exactly the same, so the hold down clamps would still work. Potentially easy mod that others can chime in on if they are replacing a smaller stock battery.

For those in the Los Angeles area, Interstate Battery in San Gabriel carries a direct OEM replacement for $217. Here are their spec and price sheets (H9 bottom rows).

Here is the old battery compared with the new German-made one from Interstate. Exact match, down to the VW/Audi stamping by the negative terminal.

I changed the factory battery at the 5 year mark, as it was cranking noticeably slower, especially when the car was left out during cold nights or after a few days in the garage. Parasitic drains like the entry and drive feature probably shorten battery life a bit, so next time I'll change it at the 4-4.5 year mark just to be safe.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5C2goNw.jpg
Views:	9072
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	325190   Click image for larger version

Name:	7PtPUi8.jpg
Views:	18183
Size:	781.8 KB
ID:	325191   Click image for larger version

Name:	d6chAXx.jpg
Views:	14977
Size:	963.5 KB
ID:	325192   Click image for larger version

Name:	CNiBNA2.jpg
Views:	12441
Size:	914.9 KB
ID:	325193  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo Battery Replacement Guide DIY