Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Cardan Shaft Replacement - 03-06 all sub models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
If what you said is that you got the bearing support mount and the front part of the shaft, then you will not be able to do the job unless you research how to rebuild the shaft. It involves splitting it, replacing the internals (*****, cage, etc), then putting it back together. I saw some info on that on here or renntech.
Fyi, if you split the shaft, no reman shaft company will give you any money for it since it was opened.
That is one reason I went with reman - less hassle and less chance of spending more money.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by h00pak
Hey, is this DIY for getting a totally new assembly with the worn bearing/guide? I bought a replacement guide and the front shaft. Am I going to be able to fix this?
Thanks,
Robby

Old 03-12-2016, 03:58 PM
ajwithers is on a distinguished road
Okay, so I know this is an old post, but hopefully that means more of you have had success. I have the old shaft out, but for the life of me can't get the new one in. I have the factory service manuals (binders) and they are no help either.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Old 03-12-2016, 04:34 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
What exactly does that mean you can't get new one in? Please describe exactly what your actions are and orientation of shaft as you are trying to insert. I believe I put notes into my write up talking about which and you insert first and what makes the installation is he so before you follow it make sure you read the entire thing maybe it will reveal some details you are missing. Update this post again maybe we can help you out.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:58 PM
I just uploaded all photos (original and edited) into this thread for y'all to see. The link is in the initial thread at top.

Ajwithers, read the entire photo #10. It will describe how you have to orient the shaft to squeeze it back in. Make sure you read slides before and after that too, so you can have full details before you start the installation without forgetting some minor details (those will often bite you real quick, requiring removal and restart).

Let us know how it went.
Good luck.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:54 PM
ajwithers is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ciaka
I just uploaded all photos (original and edited) into this thread for y'all to see. The link is in the initial thread at top.

Ajwithers, read the entire photo #10. It will describe how you have to orient the shaft to squeeze it back in. Make sure you read slides before and after that too, so you can have full details before you start the installation without forgetting some minor details (those will often bite you real quick, requiring removal and restart).

Let us know how it went.
Good luck.

Thanks Ciaka,

Definitely looked at all of your pictures and instructions. I actually took the exhaust down so it was completely out of my way.

After review slide 9 and slide 10 I was attempting to push the rear of the shaft as far up as possible and rearwards, this enabled be to squeeze the flex disk in between the shaft of the transfer case and the 3 flange on the drive shaft. However the nub on the drive shaft will not clear the shaft of the transfer case.

Will you please clarify above the flange on the rear differential... the flange is only a few inches from the bottom of the car, so not much room. That said I have pushed the rear of the shaft so that it was hitting the bottom of the car and about the middle of the cv joint was against the flange of the rear differential. Then similar to slide 9 was applying pressure rearwards trying to get enough clearance to install on the transfer case.

Thanks again for your response. I will definitely go back and look at the pictures over again; I must be missing something simple.

Cheers,
Aaron

Old 03-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Its been a while since I did this.
I think I was talking about the rear of the shaft being forced back behind where it is secured to car, so that it goes as far back as possible, giving clearance for front of shaft to be slid into place. I remember putting the back of the shaft above the brace so that it stuck into the back of the car. The flange I refer to I think is the bumper area where the bumper is attached to back of car. Find any place, off to side, straight, etc., so you can push the rear of the shaft into, so the front of it can be inserted into the mount point with the flex disk.
Remember the shaft is two parts too, so you can bend to get more clearance as well. Just be gentle and you will achieve. Do not give up now!!!

Also, if I remember right, the spike coming out of tranny is on the tranny and has to fit into the hole on shaft, right? Whatever the case, I think I put the flex disk onto the spike and then slid into place, as opposed to trying to mount the shaft followed by trying to add the disc. Once it is all in place you will not be able to put the disc into place by itself (from what my memory serves me here).

Last edited by ciaka; 03-12-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:35 PM
taylorcar is on a distinguished road
I know I'm asking this on a pretty old thread, but hopefully there is someone out there who can help me.

I'm working on this now (well, my cayenne is sitting in the garage half torn apart) and I'm stuck. I'm unable to remove the rear part of the drive shaft from the transfer case (picture 6). I have been able to remove the bolts and three metal plates and the one side of the casing (I assume it's a bearing, there was a lot of grease inside) but can't for the life of me get it to pull away from the transfer case. I've banged on it, I've tried prying at it, I've even tried lifting it using a floor jack.

I thought if I skipped ahead and freed the front of the drive shaft that I'd be able to pull it away...wrong. I've now completely disconnected the drive shaft and the flex disc at the front (just hang down resting on the exhaust now) and I still can't get the rear off. I cant understand what is preventing it from coming free - is it possible that the metal has just fused/corroded together that well? Is there something I am missing? Any good ideas?

2005 CTT

Old 05-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Sounds to me like you have rusted rear end of the shaft. Take a crow bar to separate them. Maybe use spray to loosen the rust up.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 AM
OP_9MM is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2004 Cayenne S which I purchased 2 months ago and just last week had the "midget banging with a hammer in my centre console" problem... after numerous calls to Porsche and other dealers, they were quoting me anything from £700 to £1100 to fix with a new cardan shaft replacement, if I'm honest I wasn't impressed considering the problem is with the support bearing and not the whole shaft. This wasn't an option for me which I find stupid to pay for something that doesn't require the whole fix?!
As you may be aware or not, EPS make a unique support bearing unit that can be installed without taking the cardan shaft apart! A fix that even you and I can carry out as its simple with standard tools.
The EPS Support Bearing Mount did cost me £315 and I paid a mechanic friend of mine to install it for £65, so under £400 and the midget banging vibration has gone!
Design911 sell the part here:
https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=126219

My question to everyone is don't pay for a complete cardan shaft replacement when the problem can be fixed with a simple part.
If your Cayenne needs a cardan shaft then fair enough but if you experience the midget banging vibration around the centre console, save your money and get the EPS Support Bearing Mount instead!

Old 10-14-2016, 01:25 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OP_9MM
If your Cayenne needs a cardan shaft then fair enough but if you experience the midget banging vibration around the centre console, save your money and get the EPS Support Bearing Mount instead!
Or save even more money and do the Jimi Fix for $15... someone now has 50,000 miles on their Jimi Fixed driveshaft.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Or save even more money and do the Jimi Fix for $15... someone now has 50,000 miles on their Jimi Fixed driveshaft.
What is the Jimi Fix? I'm intrigued and not happy I paid £400 for my EPS fix
Just seen what the Jimi Fix is, nice job and I like clever ideas like it but me being me, I'd rather have a physical part made for the job and the EPS suits me perfect unless it fails?

Last edited by OP_9MM; 10-14-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:47 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
What is the Jimi Fix? I'm intrigued and not happy I paid £400 for my EPS fix
Just seen what the Jimi Fix is, nice job and I like clever ideas like it but me being me, I'd rather have a physical part made for the job and the EPS suits me perfect unless it fails?
http://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-c...with-pics.html

The EPS has about the same possibility of failure as the Jimi fix. The failure of either would be if the bearing actually goes bad - and spins the rubber mountings.

BTW - I'm also OCD, and put a rebuilt driveshaft in my '06 when it failed - at a cost of about $800 total (parts/labor).. but I wish I'd had done the Jimi fix. It just appeals to the McGuiver in me.

Old 10-20-2016, 12:10 AM
clam1030 is an unknown quantity at this point
As a person who is putting together a spreadsheet of fixes to eventually address, THANK YOU. Definitely bookmarking/noting this down for if/when the midget comes knocking under the console.

Just to get clarification, if the driveshaft starts banging is there a chance it might be broken beyond the point of where replacing the support bearing mount (with this EPS product) won't resolve the issue? I'm debating if I want to be proactive with this and order the part to put it on now.

I have a 2004 Cayenne S which I purchased 2 months ago and just last week had the "midget banging with a hammer in my centre console" problem... after numerous calls to Porsche and other dealers, they were quoting me anything from £700 to £1100 to fix with a new cardan shaft replacement, if I'm honest I wasn't impressed considering the problem is with the support bearing and not the whole shaft. This wasn't an option for me which I find stupid to pay for something that doesn't require the whole fix?!
As you may be aware or not, EPS make a unique support bearing unit that can be installed without taking the cardan shaft apart! A fix that even you and I can carry out as its simple with standard tools.
The EPS Support Bearing Mount did cost me £315 and I paid a mechanic friend of mine to install it for £65, so under £400 and the midget banging vibration has gone!
Design911 sell the part here:
https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=126219

My question to everyone is don't pay for a complete cardan shaft replacement when the problem can be fixed with a simple part.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by clam1030
As a person who is putting together a spreadsheet of fixes to eventually address, THANK YOU. Definitely bookmarking/noting this down for if/when the midget comes knocking under the console.

Just to get clarification, if the driveshaft starts banging is there a chance it might be broken beyond the point of where replacing the support bearing mount (with this EPS product) won't resolve the issue? I'm debating if I want to be proactive with this and order the part to put it on now.
If the symptoms are like mine and many others where you get like a mini earthquake of vibrations around your centre console, it is the support Bearing that's gone. Mine went and I was driving with the midget banging vibrations for about a week until I could get it fixed with the EPS mount, all I say is when it does go, drive it steady and on or under 2000 revs to avoid vibrations, it does mean driving like an elderly person lol but keeps your shaft from having further problems. After a week of driving like this then having the EPS mount fitted, it drives like brand new again and much better too!
I'd say do the fix when it needs doing and not pay for it when it doesn't need it.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:59 AM
clam1030 is an unknown quantity at this point
If the symptoms are like mine and many others where you get like a mini earthquake of vibrations around your centre console, it is the support Bearing that's gone. Mine went and I was driving with the midget banging vibrations for about a week until I could get it fixed with the EPS mount, all I say is when it does go, drive it steady and on or under 2000 revs to avoid vibrations, it does mean driving like an elderly person lol but keeps your shaft from having further problems. After a week of driving like this then having the EPS mount fitted, it drives like brand new again and much better too!
I'd say do the fix when it needs doing and not pay for it when it doesn't need it.
Perfect. Thank you very much!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Cardan Shaft Replacement - 03-06 all sub models