Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Tutorial: How to lower your Cayenne Air Suspension w/ only a Durametric [DIY]

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 PM
Bpatteen is on a distinguished road
Awesome thread RM. Can't believe I just found this. I may be new here but I really appreciate all the DIY that you guys are sharing. Arts_pcars did you paint the trim yourself?or was it professionally done? I was thinking about doing the same sice I think there is too much silver exterior trim on mine. Beautifully done by the way.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone is interested in doing this, but was having issues getting the settings to stick or doesn't have the gumption, shoot over a PM. I am selling my OEM level control module that has already been lowered.

Edit: Sold

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 03-19-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 PM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
Thanks RM for this original post.
I lowered mine with no issues on first attempt & couldn't be happier!
Great free Mod (if you have the cable).

Old 03-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrbrianc
Thanks RM for this original post.
I lowered mine with no issues on first attempt & couldn't be happier!
Great free Mod (if you have the cable).
Great! Glad to hear! According to what I hearing, the success rate is in the 90 percentile.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:45 PM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Great! Glad to hear! According to what I hearing, the success rate is in the 90 percentile.
I'm itching to do this to my 2006 CTTS. I'm just a little hesitant since no one seems to know what negative effect this will have to the suspension. I may end up doing it any way since I like the way it looks lowered.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by koolkat1973
I'm itching to do this to my 2006 CTTS. I'm just a little hesitant since no one seems to know what negative effect this will have to the suspension.
Why would you assume that there has to be a "negative effect"? The steps here are only accessing the factory calibration built-in measures. There are no software or hardware alterations involved.

To me, this was the beauty in this process. In any event, proceed at your own risk.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Given the number of posts on this thread and the number of views, I thought this internet meme was appropriate:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower all the pigs.jpg
Views:	4084
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	349255  
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 AM
fat911 is a jewel in the roughfat911 is a jewel in the roughfat911 is a jewel in the rough
Problems

Kent,

Having some issues and wanted to run my situation by you.

I have a VERY early 2003 Cayenne Turbo (01/03) and I have run into some strange issues with the mod.

1. Followed all steps as written to a 'T'.

2. My values are: FL = 190 | FR = 190 | RL = 237 | RR = 237

3. When I input '215' on FL, I see a quick 'Not permitted' message in the grayed out 'FL Wheel' box.

4. Of course nothing happens and I'm free to input another value. If I try again, I get a generic 'data error'.

5. As soon as I disconnected the cable and restarted the car to cycle the ride level per the Durametric instructions, I got the 'accumulator charging' message in the dash. I waited 20 minutes came back. Same error. Then I waited 30 more minutes, same error. Then I wait a couple of hours, same error.

6. Here's where it gets strange: If I navigate to the 'level' menu in the dash GUI, I can adjust the ride height all the way through with no issues while in the dash GUI. So, I went ahead and cycled through per Durametric instructions without issue. If I'm not in that menu, I keep getting the 'accumulator charging' message in the dash no matter how long I let the car rest.

7. I checked my fault codes and I'm getting a '1437 - No/Incorrect Code/Calibration' error. When I try and clear the code, it simply won't clear.

8. While I certainly 'Saved the new value' when I first tried this, I DID NOT commit a write on channel 5.

At this point I'm thinking the console level control isn't working properly because there is a persistent error code per the Durametric warning. Until I can get that code erased, it's not going to work properly.

I tried to input 190 to see if it would 'like' that and no change.

I suppose my next step will be simply going through all 4 channels and writing on channel 5. I think this is what I may have to do to get rid of the 1437 code so the level control works without being in the dash GUI.

Any thoughts?

PS, about a year ago I had a shop try and install a Champion Motorsports lowering module on the car and spliced into the wiring harness and performed some adaptation. It turned out their lowering module IS NOT compatible with cars earlier than 2005 (I'm the reason they changed the compatibility ranges on their website). The shop ended up 'rigging' my harness back together (these dudes were playing wire combos) and I believe may have fried the lowering module (though I've had no previous Durametric codes or problems with level control).

Anyhow, any help is appreciated and I'll update this once I do some more diagnostics.

Last edited by fat911; 04-11-2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 AM
09RedGTS is on a distinguished road
So if the corner is set at 190mm and I want to lower it

say 15mm, I would set the new value at 175mm. Is that right?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by fat911
6. Here's where it gets strange: If I navigate to the 'level' menu in the dash GUI, I can adjust the ride height all the way through with no issues while in the dash GUI. So, I went ahead and cycled through per Durametric instructions without issue. If I'm not in that menu, I keep getting the 'accumulator charging' message in the dash no matter how long I let the car rest.

Any thoughts?

Just saw this message. I have a few thoughts. First, I believe for some reason the Techart replacement level control module says it will not work for 2003 and some 2004 Cayennes. This always stood out to me as odd, so this may or may not be related.

Secondly, the "Accumulator charging" message is just saying that you have overheated your compressor and give it about 20 minutes to cool down.

The "No/Incorrect Code/Calibration" sounds like it erased your learned control position when you entered the calibration mode. I actually had this happen to me trying to help out someone else with some settings. Even though I did not hit "save" either, it still wiped out my stored settings and I had to start over again. Not fun.

Which brings me to my last and most important point, I have seen what I think is the same programming bug for the Level Control Module calibration. I have helped a few members through this.

In a nutshell, for no apparent reason, the Level Control Module changes the acceptable value range! So if you had "290" in previously and tried to put it back it, it will complain that it is not an acceptable value; which clearly is a bug. When this happens, I start in increments of "15" and keep trying to input it until it accepts the value. So I would first try "305", then "320", then "335", then "350". For about 100, plus or minus, around the 290 (for example). In every case, it will accept one of these values (please record accepted values for each channel). Once you get all four channels, accepted and learned (please save). Then get out and measure the distance from the ground to the inner part of your fender. Then go back in and adjust your numbers from there as a point of reference.

So if it accepts "350" for a channel and you want to lower it another inch (25mm), put in "375". Do this for the rest of the channels. As long as you get to the right end result, do not worry about the values.

Once again, you are working with a programming bug.

Send me a PM if you need me to expand on this for you. I will just have you call me.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 04-14-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
say 15mm, I would set the new value at 175mm. Is that right?
No, this is not right. Please read the detailed instructions on the first post before you end up frustrated.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM
linksamui is on a distinguished road
Had the same problems with fat911:
03-04 turbo
Front values:190
Rear values:237
First time went around did 215 for the fronts and 262 for the rear read in confirmed and done without any problem. But it didn't stick. So I tried again ran in the problems. So redo again entered the stock values. The problem disappeared and still cannot lower my car using durametric.

Should I wait for like a day or two before I try it agian??

Old 04-29-2014, 12:41 PM
dugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of lightdugahole55 is a glorious beacon of light
I have a question, when calibrating system, it seems the air extraction system is off, is there a way to turn on the system? The only way I can get the compressor to start up is by driving around for a short distance. The car will lower but will not go up, and the error message pops up and warning on instrument cluster.

Thanks

Fixed now...no issues

Last edited by dugahole55; 05-01-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fat911
Kent,

Having some issues and wanted to run my situation by you.

I have a VERY early 2003 Cayenne Turbo (01/03) and I have run into some strange issues with the mod.

1. Followed all steps as written to a 'T'.

2. My values are: FL = 190 | FR = 190 | RL = 237 | RR = 237

3. When I input '215' on FL, I see a quick 'Not permitted' message in the grayed out 'FL Wheel' box.

4. Of course nothing happens and I'm free to input another value. If I try again, I get a generic 'data error'.
Same here, only mine is a 2005 Turbo. I was able to go back and add the correct data, so my error went away, but I have to figure this out. Spent $300 on a cable basically solely so I could lower it. Ugh. I followed the directions perfectly. I can wrench anything mechanically but always have bad luck with electrical crap.

Edit - I was parked on a very slight decline. Would this matter that much?

Last edited by BamaScoot; 05-27-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:47 PM
CALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really nice
Bamascoot

I would remove that caveat (slight decline) just to see if that is help. I also have a 2005 and was about to have my friend do it since I don't have the tool.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Tutorial: How to lower your Cayenne Air Suspension w/ only a Durametric [DIY]