Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Deafening buzz from right front dash speaker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM
stevepsd is on a distinguished road
Deafening buzz from left front dash speaker

A couple times now (3 times in 7 months) on my wifes 2010 GTS, a deafening buzz will come from the left front dash speaker. Turning off the PCM or adjusting volumes does not change its sound - volume or otherwise. Sometimes it will come on for a few minutes, other times (like today) for a hour straight. Audio still come out of the remaining speakers.

And then to add insult to injury, we suddenly lost the subscription to XM and the XM radio ID went blank. A few restarts later and all is well.

Sounds like the head unit going out.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Thanks.

-steve

Last edited by stevepsd; 03-25-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 AM
I have a resolution to this problem.....

It turns out to be a known issue with the 12-pin 'Connector B' that goes into the amplifier (located in the right rear of the vehicle). The pins loose contact with the amplifier. The solution is to replace the pins in the connector and then treating the new pins with Stabilant 22A a 'contact enhancer'.

I have the Porsche Advanced Technical Information (ATI) bulletin, Group 9, #1301, dtd 4-5-13 titles "Buzzing Noise from Speakers in Vehicles with ASK Audio System (I-No. 8RV)". It affects all Cayenne's from 2003-2010.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:55 AM
GLENNPOWER is an unknown quantity at this point
Buzzing noise

Hey, got the same issue. have cleaned the connector housings and replaced the terminals at the amp but still no joy!!

do you have a link to this bulletin? i cant find a source for this online that quotes this bulletin anywhere even on the legit pay to view/download sites.

cheers

Old 02-02-2017, 05:04 PM
2gofast is on a distinguished road
I could use the link also or maybe you could email it to me

Old 02-06-2017, 01:16 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Just a suggestion - it might be worth sending a PM to stevepsd - since his last response in this thread was in 2013, and he last logged into the forum 6/16. Chances are he won't spot your requests in this thread.

Just FWIW..

Old 02-06-2017, 07:29 PM
2gofast is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just a suggestion - it might be worth sending a PM to stevepsd - since his last response in this thread was in 2013, and he last logged into the forum 6/16. Chances are he won't spot your requests in this thread.

Just FWIW..

Thanks

Old 02-06-2017, 10:14 PM
I'm here.....still the Cayenne, just have not checked in lately (retiring, moving, etc.... kind of got in the way).

I will have to scan the ATI (this is NOT a TSB) from Porsche, and send it or post it here, tomorrow. I think I know where it is.

After doing the fix I have had zero issues. Its been about 4 or more years now.

Since my local dealer was 200 miles away (and being a EE) I did my own version of the fix (i.e. loose contacts basically), which was to tighten the sockets in the connector so they would grip the pins on the amplifier tighter, and apply dielectric grease to the sockets, making for a near air tight seal, reducing the chance of arcing. I figured I had nothing to lose, as if this did not work Porsche would replace the connector anyway.

If I remember correctly I used a tiny jeweler screwdriver to sightly compress the side of each socket (visible thru each side of the connector body). Only took about 15 minutes total.

It took longer to remove the amplifier so I had better access to the connector (it is on the back of the amp facing away from you) than it did to do the actual mod.

Or bring it to the dealer and they will cut off the old connector and put on a new one.

-steve

Last edited by stevepsd; 02-06-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:42 AM
The Porsche Advanced Technical Bulletin is post below.

The amplifier is located in the right rear wheel well, accessible by removing the the carpeted right rear cover. The amp sits on a shelf secured by 4 bolts with the connectors facing away from you. The amp is bare aluminum, so it should be obvious.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Porsche ATI bulletin 1301.PDF (744.9 KB, 812 views)

Last edited by stevepsd; 02-07-2017 at 07:46 AM.