Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Replacement Vertex Center Driveshaft Support Bearing Bushing [PICS] [VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
my original ds on my 04 went out at 95k. It's about the same cost and same total mileage for the control arms that are now making noise. Was the same situation on my 06 touareg v8. If i can get 10 years/100k miles out of both of those parts, i won't be batting an eye. I mean, i will have spent 25 grand on gas, 14k on insurance, and probably a few grand in tires and brakes. What's 500 bucks on a drive shaft when i've spent $40 grand on gas and insurance? We're literally talking about a single part that costs 1.25% of the total operating cost in that time frame. That's hardly a problem in my book. Even if you replaced it at 50k miles, that's still only 2.5% of the operating budget. Probably even less when you factor in other parts.

Maybe it's just me - but i've never understood what all the fuss was about over the ds. It has a pretty consistent failure schedule, is fairly cheap to rebuild, and its a straight forward diy. I honestly am quite amazed that this 450 hp 5500 lb car doesn't need more on-going work other than oil and gas.
^+1

Old 04-26-2014, 05:20 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
^+1
^+2 Couldn't agree more.

Though Vertex offers a great service and their customer service is AAA+, IMO the driveshaft design is just getting the job done while providing maximum comfort, That is Porsche's compromise of profitability versus capability.

In the future I personally will be using the Alum. version here. Heads up!

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/955AXLE.html

Old 04-26-2014, 11:22 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
The jury is still out on the aluminium or carbon fibre shafts. People seem to think there could be issues with downstream components, due to not being articulated.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
It doesn't need to articulate. It only needs to telescope when the rear end pinion angle changes due to a hard launch, which based on the rear end mounting design of the CTT is probably little if any. The transmission is fixed, the rear and front diff are fixed. It's not a long driveshaft by any means. I doubt any increase in vibration would be noticeable with a proper balance.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:39 PM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
^+2 Couldn't agree more.

Though Vertex offers a great service and their customer service is AAA+, IMO the driveshaft design is just getting the job done while providing maximum comfort, That is Porsche's compromise of profitability versus capability.

-1. I like my vehicle to be highly reliable with minimal downtime and reduced maintenance schedule.

My CS currently has 77K miles on the original shaft, so I'm thinking now may be the right time to put this on.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 PM
nabuhodonosaras is on a distinguished road
Hi fellas decided to write i had mine replaced last year and after 9k miles last weekend on July 4th trip to wisconsin that sucker failed again, now should someone recomed should i consider buying new one again or maybe vertex or someone could recomend better going onto carbon fiber one. Thanks for response.
Ed

Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nabuhodonosaras
Hi fellas decided to write i had mine replaced last year and after 9k miles last weekend on July 4th trip to wisconsin that sucker failed again, now should someone recomed should i consider buying new one again or maybe vertex or someone could recomend better going onto carbon fiber one. Thanks for response.
Ed
I am someone someone will recommend each of these options; there are no major issues with doing any, except that you might have to change the stock one more frequently. I would review the comments already posted and choose the option that you are most comfortable with.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 AM
Has anyone tryed carbon fiber ones, do they have a central support or no or they come without it?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
^+2 Couldn't agree more.

Interesting for anyone running a TT Cayenne, these seem more worth the buy.

Finally a Single replacement shafts for the 2003 - 2008 Porsche Cayenne! These shafts are available in both 3.5" Aluminum and 3.25" Carbon Fiber versions. The shafts will replace the notorious hanger bearing issue and also eliminate the front Guibo (rubber drive).

A billet aluminum plate is made to eliminate the front Guibo. Then there is a plate for the rear to change the Rear CV from 100mm and bump it up to 108mm. This way we will have a shaft with 108mm CV's on both ends!

The shafts are then balanced in a high speed balancer to ensure a perfectly smooth shaft. No more hanger to go bad, no more rubber either!

The CV's are Factory GKN Germany units and are assembles with Neo Hpcc1 grease for extended life.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:23 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
X-Post off Rennlist...

I ordered the Driveshafts.com Carbon Fiber, one-piece unit. However, it won't be here for another 13 days. My mechanic Jimi and I was wondering what to do for my daily driver 955, in the meantime. After extensively researching the known repeated failures of the OEM Porsche center support bearing, we decided to conduct a little "experiment."

Jimi has a strong motorsports background and is great with improvising fixes on-the-fly. He was part of Ivan Stewart's Baja 500 Pit crew, during their successful 1997 season. Intending to do this "experiment" as cheaply as possible, until my carbon shaft arrives - Jimi noticed the thin, 2mm rubber membrane of the stock part was always prone to fail, given the weight of the car, the elements exposed to and torque generated....a grossly under-engineered part. He proposed to insert eight 3/8" thick Kevlar-reinforced, coolant hose pieces, cut in 1.5" slices. The hose slices were to make up for the torn rubber of the existing stock center support bearing assembly. Once the old rubber was trimmed out - Jimi carefully inserted the hose slices in a circular fashion. He stated the eight pieces will effectively center the Cardan Shaft, and keep it there. He then zip-tied each slice together, in series. Finally, he wrapped more zip ties, looping around the entire circumference of the support carrier shell. The end result looks like Cheerios circling the entire bearing support:

Name:  ds_fix2_zps13b8e074.jpg
Views: 4530
Size:  56.7 KB

Jimi was able to perform this operation in 20 minutes. The total cost, including zip ties is about $12. Now came the shakedown test. We went on a 900-mile drive, from Southern CA to Northern CA Wine Country, and back. During the entire trip, there were zero vibrations present. I first thought Jimi's fix would make the center support too stiff, sending some NVH into the cabin. Nope. The P!G even did several hard 120mph pulls, on the long stretches of Interstate 5. There was nothing. The only vibrations present was from the slight steering shimmy of the worn Michelin Latitude Diamaris tires, we previously were well aware of. I was amazed at how well this performed. Jimi kept emphasizing the eight circular hose pieces create a far more robust solution, offering 5x+ the support rubber over the stock center supports. He further stated the extra length of the hose slices even facilitates the fore/aft "float" of the Cardan Shaft. This man thinks everything out! Before embarking on our test cruise - we had all four wheels lifted up and spun all wheels at a constant 3500rpm, and the shaft was dead steady. He even went on to say if two or three pieces were to suddenly come off, or even collapse...the part would still work. As a precaution - he told me at the first sign of vibration - simply pull over and tow back home, for inspection. It certainly is NOT pretty....but everything gets obscured by the carrier base cross-member.

I'm anxious to see how long this fix can work. So far so good.....STAY TUNED!!!

Name:  cayenne6_zps7fe22ca3.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  140.0 KB

Last edited by Zuffenhausen955; 07-23-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 PM
Nice post love the simplicity for that fix interesting how long would it last guess more than my second.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 PM
BTW how much it was for your carbon fiber one?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nabuhodonosaras
BTW how much it was for your carbon fiber one?
$1480/shipped. Still waiting for it....

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that is pretty clever! Can't wait to hear how long this cheap fix lasts!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Wow that is pretty clever! Can't wait to hear how long this cheap fix lasts!
Jimi did this fix for a Nissan Hardbody 4x4 truck and it lasted almost 4 years, until the truck was totaled in desert crash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacement Vertex Center Driveshaft Support Bearing Bushing [PICS] [VIDEO]