Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:00 AM
nabuhodonosaras is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zuffenhausen955
$1480/shipped. Still waiting for it....
Post a pic please how does it looks like without support bearing interesting

Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 AM
CUNNINGHAM is on a distinguished road
Two days after buying my 08 CS I managed to destroy my shaft support bearing doing some aggressive driving, 0-100-0 I quickly overnight-ed the Vertex unit. Installation was a breeze and after 2000 miles its holding up nicely! Couldnt be happier with my purchase.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by racer_65
-1. I like my vehicle to be highly reliable with minimal downtime and reduced maintenance schedule.

My CS currently has 77K miles on the original shaft, so I'm thinking now may be the right time to put this on.
I got the Vertex on my car now. Having now looked at the broken OEM part and gone through the replacement process, I am convinced this is the best route to go. The power delivery now feels super smooth, and I know it's going to stay that way.

Personally I wouldn't consider paying a lot of money to switch over to a single shaft. There is nothing wrong with having a center mount (as a matter of fact there's good reason for it). The flaw is in the execution of the design, and Vertex fixes that.

I wouldn't say installation is a walk in the park. It does require some DIY competency to cut off the old mount and scrap off the rubber. The good news is that you can do this job without lifting the car (assuming you're not a Sumo Wrestler).

Last edited by racer_65; 08-02-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:16 AM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
3400-Mile Report....

I just received the carbon drive shaft. However, Jimi's quick fix still works incredibly well. There is no trace of NVH with his work at all. Car currently has about 3400 miles on the fix and is smooth as butter, in all RPM ranges. The carbon shaft is very light - but, for some insane reason I just don't feel compelled to install it yet on my P!G. All the zip ties are intact and the rubber hose pieces don't appear to be collapsing anytime soon.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I just received the carbon drive shaft. However, Jimi's quick fix still works incredibly well. There is no trace of NVH with his work at all. Car currently has about 3400 miles on the fix and is smooth as butter, in all RPM ranges. The carbon shaft is very light - but, for some insane reason I just don't feel compelled to install it yet on my P!G. All the zip ties are intact and the rubber hose pieces don't appear to be collapsing anytime soon.
You have no idea how close I came to copying your mechanic's quick fix when my center bearing support failed this week.. but I gave in and ordered a rebuilt shaft from Vertex. They claim to be using a bearing assembly that has a better support medium design than the original from Porsche/VW.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 AM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
Still Racking Miles...

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You have no idea how close I came to copying your mechanic's quick fix when my center bearing support failed this week.. but I gave in and ordered a rebuilt shaft from Vertex. They claim to be using a bearing assembly that has a better support medium design than the original from Porsche/VW.
Currently has 4100 pain-free miles, on Jimi's fix. Even took the Cayenne to it's max speed.....133mph and NADA!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Cole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really niceCole is just really nice
I .....currently has about 3400 miles on the fix and is smooth as butter, n.
Currently has 4100 pain-free miles, on !

So? Obviously better than the stock shafts that have lasted 50k-70k-100k-120k-150k and thousands of users!!

Just pointing out that a handful of users making it less than an oil change interval so far isn't exact proof of a superior product yet.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:55 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
If anyone is interested, I will be selling my complete OEM driveshaft with Vertex/EPS bearing bushing pre-installed with rubber guibo. OEM driveshaft was replaced about 2 years ago and the Vertex/EPS fix has been working great for about 1.5 years. No issues with either; look for classifieds ad this weekend with pics or PM if impatient.

Decided to upgrade to bigger aluminum shaft while transmission was out.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:59 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
My 06 Cayenne S just turned 100K miles and I started getting the knocking under medium to hard acceleration. What is the part number of the Porsche replacement drive shaft / bearing support. Is this a diy replacement or are any specialized tools required to replace the failed rearing with a new OEM driveshaft? Thx

Old 10-27-2014, 07:05 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
My 06 Cayenne S just turned 100K miles and I started getting the knocking under medium to hard acceleration. What is the part number of the Porsche replacement drive shaft / bearing support. Is this a diy replacement or are any specialized tools required to replace the failed rearing with a new OEM driveshaft? Thx
You can google Vertex......it's fairly easy to buy, have an indy install and then return the core for a core refund.

I think I only spent the entire cost of the shaft itself after refund and labor @ Indy.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cordsig79
You can google Vertex......it's fairly easy to buy, have an indy install and then return the core for a core refund.

I think I only spent the entire cost of the shaft itself after refund and labor @ Indy.
pwdrhound, I have a used Vertex unit (aftermarket bushing replacement) available for sale at a good discount. Was originally looking to sale as the complete driveshaft with the Vertex unit preinstalled, but may be open to sale just the Vertex solution by itself. You will find that the aftermarket solution is more robust than a similar OEM design. PM if interested.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:58 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
pwdrhound, I have a used Vertex unit (aftermarket bushing replacement) available for sale at a good discount. Was originally looking to sale as the complete driveshaft with the Vertex unit preinstalled, but may be open to sale just the Vertex solution by itself. You will find that the aftermarket solution is more robust than a similar OEM design. PM if interested.
Thank you very much for the offer. I called around and found a place local to me that all the dealers use for refurbished drive shafts which include a new German bearing and support, all balanced and ready to install for $400. My original part lasted 100K miles so I have no complaints about the OEM design. I am picking it up today so I can install it this afternoon. Thank you again for the offer..

Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 PM
So I just picked up a rebuilt OEM driveshaft from the shop. Interestingly, they had several of the EPS 2piece bearing supports that had failed on customers cars and ended up being replaced with OEM. Time in use on the failed one I looked at was 6 months. Looked like the blue silicone tubes had collapsed allowing the driveshaft to go off center. I guess results will vary but this goes to show the EPS gizmo is not bulletproof either.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Interestingly, they had several of the EPS 2piece bearing supports that had failed on customers cars and ended up being replaced with OEM. Time in use on the failed one I looked at was 6 months. Looked like the blue silicone tubes had collapsed allowing the driveshaft to go off center. I guess results will vary but this goes to show the EPS gizmo is not bulletproof either.
Most people do not know that you are suppose to have a factory alignment tool to align the center bearing and bushing with the transfer case output flange and the rear diff input flange. It is very easy to install slightly out of alignment and induce a wobble. I also figured out a way to get it really close without the tool or just use a level for the straight edge reference .

From what I have seen, my theory is those particular EPS bearing bushings probably failed due to a bad driveshaft alignment.

FWIW- Mine stood up under some of the highest levels of stress (torque) on this platform for over a year with no issues. I looked at it carefully after removing my driveshaft and was very pleased at the state of it over a year later.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 10-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Jagman1 is on a distinguished road
That's a concern of mine too. I've been doing a lot of Autobahn driving lately. Average pace on my weekend trips is about 110mph, with regular burst to 130, and the occasional 150+. I get nervous at those speeds with the EPS piece. I end up crawling underneath often to inspect it and everything else...so far it's holding up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacement Vertex Center Driveshaft Support Bearing Bushing [PICS] [VIDEO]