Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Transmission fluid change

Old 02-16-2015, 11:26 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
I have been trying to find which ATfluid people are using, but no dice. What did you guys use?
I believe mine was redline last time

Old 02-16-2015, 09:53 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
There are 3 main atf fluids folks use for their cayenne a these days:
1. OEM Porsche ATF fluid - is OEM, is most expensive. About $25/quart. It is not synthetic.
2. Redline D4 - is claimed to be better performance than OEM, less expensive than OEM. About $18/quart. It is synthetic.
3. Toyota ATF IV - claimed to be same performance as OEM, least expensive of the 3 (@ about $7/quart). It is not synthetic.

Now that you have info, do your snooping and make a decision. Each of the camps has their views. I don't think I heard anything bad about any of the three.
Good luck.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ciaka
There are 3 main atf fluids folks use for their cayenne a these days:
1. OEM Porsche ATF fluid - is OEM, is most expensive. About $25/quart. It is not synthetic.
2. Redline D4 - is claimed to be better performance than OEM, less expensive than OEM. About $18/quart. It is synthetic.
3. Toyota ATF IV - claimed to be same performance as OEM, least expensive of the 3 (@ about $7/quart). It is not synthetic.
Also...

4. Mobil 1 3309 - claims to be OEM spec for the Aisin TR60SN (as per another board). If you buy a case of 12, you can get it online for $5.73/quart.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:09 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I just ordered the Mobil 3309. I'll let ya know if it works out OK, but probably 2 wks. CTT is running great now after a MAF replacement and throttle calibration, but doing the tranny pan drop, filter and fluid ASAP. At 84K miles. I do have the Durametric to help me find the....something like 74 degrees celcius, to get the proper fill. I just need another person to help shift, while I fill.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
I just ordered the Mobil 3309. I'll let ya know if it works out OK, but probably 2 wks. CTT is running great now after a MAF replacement and throttle calibration, but doing the tranny pan drop, filter and fluid ASAP. At 84K miles. I do have the Durametric to help me find the....something like 74 degrees celcius, to get the proper fill. I just need another person to help shift, while I fill.
If it means anything, Mobil 3309 is what I use for the tranny fluid and know of at least one other 6speed member that has used this for a while. You will not have any issues with it.

I have changed the tranny fluid and dropped the pan about 3 times so far. You will definitely need a helper and it is an extremely messy job (read: oil absorption mats). You should also look into a Motive Powerfill system to make sure you can fill it fast enough while it gets up to temp.

Other than this, sounds like you are spot on.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:48 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Thanks. I do have a slow pump. I should find something better.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Brainz will become famous soon enoughBrainz will become famous soon enough
+1 for 3309. Ships cheap from Amazon and works fine. Building or buying a pressurized fluid filler is highly recommended. Using the hand pump takes forever and may result in a broken pump (like my $10 Autozone piece did).

Old 02-24-2015, 02:47 PM
hahnmgh63 is on a distinguished road
If you fill the pan to the top before starting up, then keep filling even with a hand pump you should get it full again before the tranny gets to temp. I have the gravity feed Porsche fill container (VAG1924) and it can be iffy getting to full before getting to temp so any kind of pump should work fine.

Last edited by hahnmgh63; 02-25-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:05 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Oooo yeah. The Motive power product is the chit. I have it and don't regret for a second getting it.
Trick is to get a long bendable ere inside hose. Make small hook at end of the wire, and lead jose over it. Hook must be small enough to fit into full hole while bent. Then you just fill the canister, get pressure going and enjoy.

Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
...You should also look into a Motive Powerfill system to make sure you can fill it fast enough while it gets up to temp.

Other than this, sounds like you are spot on.