Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Boost leak troubleshooting questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Boost leak troubleshooting questions

I am thinking of troubleshooting my boost leak error P0299. Have questions and hope you fine folks can assist.

1. Are there boost pressure leak kits available for sale for cayenne 03-06 turbo? Not talking about dealer tools costing thousands. Looking for cost effective tools that can be bought.

2. If I have to make my own boost pressure leak kit, does anyone have info on materials list to make it? Sizes, diameters, etc.

3. Assuming I get a kit to PD my boost leak, where would be the best place to block off the piping to start the testing. Do i need to disconnect/block off at one place only, or at two places, etc.
My plan would be to pressurize to about 12 psi (1bar = 14.7psi), then use soapy water to start spraying each pipe component and junction to see if I observe bubbling. But need advice on where best place to disconnect/block off/connect the kit to for the PD.
If you can advise with a pic or diagram to ensure it is clear what areas you refer to, it would be awesome. Here are diagrams to refer to parts by number, so there is no confusion.

4. Anyone in Austin TX that would be willing to help in PD (thought I would ask anyway - really want to learn about it regardless).

Thanks for help.

Diagram 1 -
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...7&d=1369979461

Diagram 2 -
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...6&d=1369979454

Last edited by ciaka; 07-07-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:41 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Here's a link that is on topic:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ig-w-pics.html

Here are some inexpensive test kits:

http://www.turboboostleaktesters.com...CHE/Categories

Here's DIY tester article:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...st-Leak-Tester

When my Cayenne had a boost leak, the dealer used a smoke machine to track it down; I just didn't have enough time or the proper equipment necessary to track it down myself.

Last edited by spooltime; 09-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I had seen that site before but did not see any kits for the cayenne.
Do you have idea on which of the 4 kits they offer for Porsche will be a fit for the Cayenne turbo?

their options are:
Pro-Kit-TT: PORSCHE 996TT - Stock K16's
Pro-Kit-TT: PORSCHE GT2 - Stock K16's
Pro-Kit-TT: PORSCHE 996TT - Stock K16's
Pro-Kit-TT: PORSCHE GT2 - Stock K16's

Originally Posted by spooltime
Here's a link that is on topic:

Here are some inexpensive test kits:

http://www.turboboostleaktesters.com...CHE/Categories

Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 AM
are there articles that are specific for cayenne TT (03-06)? The 996 articles show car with different plumbing and I want to make sure when I connect any tester kit, I don't guess.

Originally Posted by spooltime

Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM
here is a location I was thinking of to connect the boost pressure leak tester to.
Basically taking off the pipe from turbo under the car (driver side), connect the pressure kit with gauge to it. But this leaves me with more questions.

1. Where do I plug the system up so that the pressure stays in the system during test? As alternative, I would remove the MAF sensor from driver side, plug one side with plug, connect the other plug with gauge to the other part of same pipe (where MAF sensor would usually be plugged into), then pressurize and start checking with soapy water if needed.

2. Are there easier/better sites to connect to for boost pressure test?

Looking for sound advice for the CTT. I know similar to other cars but hoping to have this 100% understood so that I do not waste time/money later on.

Appreciate all the input. Attached pic shows site A, where I thought to install the plug with gauges (but have no location that I would place plug to block off though).
The question 1 above assumes I would need plug with gauge and plug without gauge (to simply keep system closed for building pressure in the piping).

Thanks again.

Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ciaka
are there articles that are specific for cayenne TT (03-06)? The 996 articles show car with different plumbing and I want to make sure when I connect any tester kit, I don't guess.
Looks like the turbos used on the '03-'06 Cayennes are different than those used on the 911 variants. I didn't come across a Cayenne specific article, but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 PM
...any comments on post #5?

Old 01-05-2015, 01:57 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I'm looking at doing this also. In the diagram you posted it would be easiest to take the airbox cover off, remove the first elbow, and connect at the MAF fitting(pc 15). I started tearing mine apart the other night but didn't have time to get all the way in. By the way, if you want to take one down just for measurements start on the driver's side, the passenger side is a little more work.

Gonna see if I can make some time this week to dig into this further. I am pretty sure mine is leaking at the bottom hose from the cooler. I'd like to find silicone hoses to replace the factory rubber ones but am not having much luck yet.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:54 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Well I had some time the other night so made a trip to Home Depot and grabbed some stuff.

I think I have a pretty simple solution for hooking up and pressure testing the system on a 955. Hoping I will have time this weekend to take it all back apart and will snap a few pics and post more details when I do. If this works the only things you will need to remove are the beauty covers and the air box lids. I found a fitting that will hook right to the elbow that comes off the lid.

I did a quick test run and found one potentially huge leak right below the driver's side MAF. I also found that it is a pain in the neck getting that elbow off the top of the MAF fitting. In Porsche's infinite wisdom it was installed with Phillips head screws coming up from the bottom?? I think I am going to drill the top flange out and install a nut and bolt while I'm in there. Will make subsequent trips in there a whole lot easier.

More to follow!!

Last edited by jdubbya; 01-08-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
You need to plug both air inlets before the mafs and the Y adapter at the throttle body. You can use a bicycle pump to pressurize the system most of the adapters have a valve stem. you can plug the two inlets before the maf meters and pressurize at the Y, must bicycle pump have a pressure gauge built in line so that you can view the pressure you're applying to the system.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:13 PM
So this is what I came up with.

I found that a 4" to 2" rubber drain coupling will fit right over the elbow that comes off the airbox. A 1-1/2" abs cap fits in the small end.

So you need two of these...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-4-...6-42/100372315

And 2 of these... http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...977H/205002045

Then I drilled and tapped a hole in one of the caps to put an airline fitting in. Take the airbox covers off and you can clamp the 4" side to each of the elbows. Pressurize and test away.

Two words of caution.... I am not an expert so take this advice with a grain of salt and follow it at your own risk. Second, don't tighten the clamps over the elbow too tight and be careful with the little tabs that fit into the airbox.

I'll snap and post a couple pics of it all hooked up later.

So far I've found that the O ring on the driver's side MAF joint is leaking. Will have to order a couple new ones. (EDIT: This joint is above the MAF so shouldn't be that big a deal. I'm still going to replace the O rings though. The bigger problem is I couldn't tell if it was leaking anywhere else but it sure seems like it, so I'll have to wait for the new rings to show up and try again. Or try to get that fitting apart and make new adapters right at the MAF.)

More to follow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_161800.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	411779   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_161839.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	411780   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_162004.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	411781   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_162016.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	411782   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_162039.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	411783  

Last edited by jdubbya; 01-12-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:54 PM
I'll go back and edit that last post but after getting other things all sealed up the large fitting I posted up there just wouldn't seal properly once the pressure started getting up above about 7psi.

The good news is it sealed long enough to realize I don't think there are as many big leaks as I thought before. So off to Home Depot to grab one more fitting and tear it all apart again tomorrow. I'm getting good at removing the airbox covers that's for sure!!

Old 01-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the hard work. I am sure many will benefit.
I fixed mine as there was a leak in one of the plumbing junctions. Tightened up and fixed it, the error is gone now too
But still interested in your solution, so let us know when you are done and that will be great.

Originally Posted by jdubbya
I'll go back and edit that last post but after getting other things all sealed up the large fitting I posted up there just wouldn't seal properly once the pressure started getting up above about 7psi.

The good news is it sealed long enough to realize I don't think there are as many big leaks as I thought before. So off to Home Depot to grab one more fitting and tear it all apart again tomorrow. I'm getting good at removing the airbox covers that's for sure!!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by ciaka
Thanks for the hard work. I am sure many will benefit.
I fixed mine as there was a leak in one of the plumbing junctions. Tightened up and fixed it, the error is gone now too
But still interested in your solution, so let us know when you are done and that will be great.

Thanks, I'll probably get back at it this evening. Have all the parts now. What's interesting is there definitely seems to be something going on. Once I got the P3 gauge hooked up it's only showing 12psi, barely touched on 13 once. But I should be getting 14 or so with the Softronics tune.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:20 PM
ONE IMPORTANT NOTE BEFORE TRYING THIS METHOD AND BEFORE PRESSURIZING THE SYSTEM: TAKE THE OIL FILLER CAP OFF AS SOME OF THE AIR WILL LEAK BY THE PISTON RINGS AND CREATE PRESSURE IN THE SUMP. FAILING TO DO THIS COULD BLOW OUT A MAIN SEAL.

OK so this is how I worked this out. You will need two of these...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-3-...6-32/100372295

You could use a straight 3" coupling but I couldn't find a cap or plug that would fit well.

And two of these...http://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1-1...D112/100344910

You could use two of these but my home depot was out and the threaded cap was cheaper anyway...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-S...948H/205002021

Remove the airbox cover on both sides and remove the first elbow on the intake and you will end up with the top of the MAF sensors open.
20150119_154439.jpg

I drilled and tapped the threaded caps for a normal air line fitting. On one side I attached a pressure gauge...
20150119_163210.jpg

And a small valve and the airline on the driver's side....
20150119_163257.jpg

I found that one of the hoses at the Y plenum is actually leaking through the hose and what I think is the control line is leaking a bit too. EDIT: Looks like it's actually the waste gate vacuum line that is leaking.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_154439.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	412356   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_154446.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	412357   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_163210.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	412358   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150119_163257.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	412359  

Last edited by jdubbya; 01-20-2015 at 04:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost leak troubleshooting questions