Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

CTTS '06 not making power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Vig03 is on a distinguished road
update

I haven't done another data log yet, but I do know that there are no boost leaks detected.

I contacted the tuner to see if he could make any recommendations and he suggested I unplug the battery overnight. I assume that's to clear the long term fuel trims but maybe there's more to it than that. While it was disconeected, I decided to change out my driver side charge pipe gasket due to significant oil residue in that area.

I found a good amount of gray metallic liquid in, and dripping from, the charge pipe, strongly pointing to my driver's turbo compressor wheel rubbing the housing...looks like a new turbo may be inevitable.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CTTSPressurePiperesidue_zpsff29b90a.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	350070   Click image for larger version

Name:	b63e8112-2ef6-44e6-8387-a77e5f51e4ad_zpsd1c7eeae.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	350073  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Wow...That grey metallic liquid, which I am theorizing is metal infused oil, is really concerning. Unfortunately, I do not think you are not too far off with your internal damage conjecture.

What are your next steps?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Wow...That grey metallic liquid, which I am theorizing is metal infused oil, is really concerning. Unfortunately, I do not think you are not too far off with your internal damage conjecture.

What are your next steps?
Push it into a lake...JK!

I've done some research on turbo rebuilds and IIRC my turbos are IHI RHF5. Won't be attempting this myself due to the engine (and likely the trans) to be dropped for the swap. I've been quoted 14hrs of labor, so if I'm going to do it, I may get both turbos rebuilt and possible go with a slightly larger compressor wheel.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
When was the last time you put in new MAF's. The Leistung intakes I got had some seriously oily filters. When I took off the plastic sealed bag the inside of the bag had oil residue drops all over the bags. Maybe some of it dirtied up your MAF? Bad MAF's can put you into LIMP mode

Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Rampino will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Vig03
I haven't done another data log yet, but I do know that there are no boost leaks detected.

I contacted the tuner to see if he could make any recommendations and he suggested I unplug the battery overnight. I assume that's to clear the long term fuel trims but maybe there's more to it than that. While it was disconeected, I decided to change out my driver side charge pipe gasket due to significant oil residue in that area.

I found a good amount of gray metallic liquid in, and dripping from, the charge pipe, strongly pointing to my driver's turbo compressor wheel rubbing the housing...looks like a new turbo may be inevitable.
That's a bummer man. You'll want to do a compression test as well for sure. Those metal flakes from the turbos are torture on the cylinder walls.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by medcap
Bad MAF's can put you into LIMP mode
Hey Medcap, thanks for the reply. Yes I've heard of people having issues with oily filters. I haven't done anything with the MAFs yet because I would expect my Durametric to pick up any MAF related issue. Maybe I'm wrong? Also, due to the metallic oil, signs seem to be pointing at the turbo

Originally Posted by Rampino
That's a bummer man. You'll want to do a compression test as well for sure. Those metal flakes from the turbos are torture on the cylinder walls.
Thanks Rampino, Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. I'm hoping I don't have compression issues...fingers crossed

Old 03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Push it into a lake...JK!
Hahaha... no not the lake!

I've done some research on turbo rebuilds and IIRC my turbos are IHI RHF5. Won't be attempting this myself due to the engine (and likely the trans) to be dropped for the swap. I've been quoted 14hrs of labor, so if I'm going to do it, I may get both turbos rebuilt and possible go with a slightly larger compressor wheel.
In all seriousness, you should talk to Mr.Haney on these boards. He was in a similar situation with his 955 Turbo and is currently doing a a rebuild with better turbos.

This is of course only if you verify that you need need turbos.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Oil on the drivers side is normal, thats where the crankcase ventilation go's to. If you really think its silvery I would investigate further.

Here's the thing. Your CTT has an IHI RHF5. It's a tiny turbo and only rated for 208 hp. In stock form the 4.5 is using up every bit of the turbo map. Both my turbine housings were severly cracked internally radiating from the wastegate flapper. I never would have guessed. Word has it that the IHI turbine housing is made from crappy metal, I dunno.
http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm Look at the chart, IHI doesn't publish compressor maps.

The options out there right now are few and pricy for turbo upgrades. @ least compared to the value of the car.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Oil on the drivers side is normal, thats where the crankcase ventilation go's to. If you really think its silvery I would investigate further.

Here's the thing. Your CTT has an IHI RHF5. It's a tiny turbo and only rated for 208 hp. In stock form the 4.5 is using up every bit of the turbo map. Both my turbine housings were severly cracked internally radiating from the wastegate flapper. I never would have guessed. Word has it that the IHI turbine housing is made from crappy metal, I dunno.
http://www.ihi-turbo.com/turbo_RHE-RHF.htm Look at the chart, IHI doesn't publish compressor maps.

The options out there right now are few and pricy for turbo upgrades. @ least compared to the value of the car.
Thanks Mr. Haney,

It's definitley silver, not just oil...I've done some searching on the RHF5 and I'm considering just rebuilding plus machining with 60mm billet compressor. Cost is $1,550 for both turbos from http://midwestturboconnection.com. I've read estimated flow increase of 15% for this setup. What did you decide to do for your turbo replacement? Thanks for the insight!

Also, Can you tell me what symptoms your car had?

Last edited by Vig03; 03-24-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I wound up with a chipped exhaust valve. Most likely caused by several age related factors, not turbo related. Im looking at the Borg Warner efr turbos. IMHO any worthwhile turbo upgrade is going to require custom manifolds likely.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:30 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
I will be lighting a candle for Both of you (Mr. Haney and Vig03)...may your engines be nursed back to health with as little money as nessecary.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:05 PM
carrera4slakem is on a distinguished road
Do you really have to drop the engine and transmission to change the turbo's on such a big SUV?

Are all RHF5 turbo's the same or are there model numbers after the RHF5?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:09 PM
Do you really have to drop the engine and transmission to change the turbo's on such a big SUV?
Yes.. it was designed this way to keep the center of gravity low. If you look at the location you cannot even really get a hand on the turbos themselves; either from under, from the side, or from above. Trust me, I have carefully accessed the location while installing my primary downpipes.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I wound up with a chipped exhaust valve. Most likely caused by several age related factors, not turbo related. Im looking at the Borg Warner efr turbos. IMHO any worthwhile turbo upgrade is going to require custom manifolds likely.
I understand wht your'e saying about a worthwhile upgrade needing custom manifolds, but I also agree with your earlier statement about the value of the vehicle relative to the cost of the upgrade. How far along are you in your project?

Originally Posted by gh0stman
I will be lighting a candle for Both of you (Mr. Haney and Vig03)...may your engines be nursed back to health with as little money as nessecary.
I appreciate it!

Are all RHF5 turbo's the same or are there model numbers after the RHF5?
There are different versions of the RHF5. I believe the Cayenne Turbos are RHF5 VF43. There are apparently different VF series of this turbo, but I don't know what the differences are at this point.

EDIT

I just found this:

Part Number VD430066
Previous versions VC430066, VA430067, VB430067, VC430067
OE number 94812301556
V-SPEC. VVQ2, VD430067
Year 2004-
Description Porsche Cayenne V8 Biturbo Right Side
CHRA N/A
Turbo Model RHF5H-92001P25NSBRLL433CFZ
Engine 948
Displacement 4.5L
Capacity 4511 ccm
Power 450 HP
Angle α (compressor housing) 336.5°
Angle β (turbine housing) 187.4°
Turbine Housing AR 25
Manufacturer IHI

Last edited by Vig03; 03-25-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Ive been in contact with Durametric,and they are having a lot of problems with the latest software being used on Cayenne's. I am having a loss of power as well but the Durametric is not giving me Porsche codes. They hope to get it fixed soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CTTS '06 not making power?