Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

CTTS '06 not making power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Vig03 is on a distinguished road
Bday update

After much deliberation, my plans are to do the following:

1. Test boost directly at Driver's side turbo to confirm that it's bad
2. Compression & Leakdown test; if results are favorable, turbo swap...
3. I'm planning on rebuilding stock turbos, but upgrading to a larger compressor wheel.

I've contemplated a custom turbo setup, but I don't have the skills nor the equipment to manufacture the necessary hardware myself. I just can't justify the cost of fabrication for the various lines, exhaust manifold, flanges, etc.

Mr. Haney, I checked out your thread and I must say...Holy %$#*! I wish you the best and look forward to hearing/reading more about your progress. AND I can't wait to see some HP & 1/4 mile numbers!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Vig03,

Why don't you drain your oil to see the full extent of the metal substrates?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Vig03,

Why don't you drain your oil to see the full extent of the metal substrates?
because I'm scared to look!

That'll be my new first step...thanks RM!

Old 03-29-2014, 12:47 PM
I haven't started digging in yet, and in a whim, opened up Autotrader (maybe a mistake). I found an '08 CTT at a pretty good price...should I???

Old 03-29-2014, 02:24 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Why not?

Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by mtnrat
Why not?
That's what I was thinking mtnrat! Until I got my "why not"...a slight disagreement about the value of my CTTS! Oh well

Old 04-01-2014, 10:28 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Lets hear that update-

Old 04-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Lets hear that update-
Unfortunately progress has been slow due to me having to go out of town for work.

1. I tapped the pressure pipe at the driver side turbo and ran a boost gauge to test boost directly after the turbo. I was able to hit 15psi which dropped to 12 and then down to 10. I did this with a third gear pull to put as much load on the turbo. The tune is supposed to get 1.2 bar which is nearly 17.5 psi.

2. I did an oil change and did not see anything unusual in the oil. Although i didn't drop the pan, I did cut the oil filter open to inspect and things looked normal.

Next step is leak down test.

Any thoughts on the results of the above tests?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
How long have you had your Forge Diverter valves installed? Seems like they might be leaking...have you pressure tested them or looked for any air leaks in the hoses connected to them?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vig03
1. I tapped the pressure pipe at the driver side turbo and ran a boost gauge to test boost directly after the turbo. I was able to hit 15psi which dropped to 12 and then down to 10. I did this with a third gear pull to put as much load on the turbo. The tune is supposed to get 1.2 bar which is nearly 17.5 psi.

Any thoughts on the results of the above tests?
Am I missing something? Because it sounds like to me that you did not do a boost leak test while the vehicle was off. But instead added a t-connection into one of the chargepipes and remotely monitored a gauge while driving the vehicle. Is that right?

If so, that is a puzzling way of trying to pin down your issues since the stock wastegate opens up really early. On the 957 TD04s, it is around 5 psi, so boost pressure is not consistent across the powerband, especially when shifting. The bottom line is that if you do not know the criteria of a successful test, then your test is just raw data.

With that said, I think you are better off doing an engine off boost leak test, then using a Durametric to get engine logs while running. Then compare those logs to another member logs to see how far off the values are. Just throwing out rough numbers, but if you have anything major wrong I would expect huge variations of 30%+.

Also, please follow through with a compression test, followed by a leakdown. However, neither of these will confirm or deny a bad turbo.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I'm still thinking about the silver stuff.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I'm still thinking about the silver stuff.
I agree 100%. Do you happen to have specs for cylinder compression ranges? In the process of a compression test now...

Old 04-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Am I missing something? Because it sounds like to me that you did not do a boost leak test while the vehicle was off. But instead added a t-connection into one of the chargepipes and remotely monitored a gauge while driving the vehicle. Is that right?

If so, that is a puzzling way of trying to pin down your issues since the stock wastegate opens up really early. On the 957 TD04s, it is around 5 psi, so boost pressure is not consistent across the powerband, especially when shifting. The bottom line is that if you do not know the criteria of a successful test, then your test is just raw data.

With that said, I think you are better off doing an engine off boost leak test, then using a Durametric to get engine logs while running. Then compare those logs to another member logs to see how far off the values are. Just throwing out rough numbers, but if you have anything major wrong I would expect huge variations of 30%+.

Also, please follow through with a compression test, followed by a leakdown. However, neither of these will confirm or deny a bad turbo.
Hey RM, The boost leak test was done for me by a local shop with the car off. They fabricated plates to allow them to test after the TB and also before TB. This was a shop that is very familiar with FI so I feel pretty confident in their findings.

The process I described above was after the boost leak test. I drilled and tapped the pressure pipe connected directly to the turbo and installed an NPT for a boost gauge. This was to see what boost the driver's side turbo was hitting directly after the turbo. I plan to do another Durametric log after I finish the compression test.

Last edited by Vig03; 04-07-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Vig03
I agree 100%. Do you happen to have specs for cylinder compression ranges? In the process of a compression test now...
The book only talks about using some special tester and how to interpret the data. I was lost. No numbers.

I think you multiply your compression ratio X barometric pressure, or 14.7, which on a 9.5:1 engine would be about 139. The book doesnt talk about service limits or variation or leakdown ratio. Your going to have to apply rule of thumb.
Make sure you pull the fuel pump fuses while its running to relieve the press. in the lines. And leave em out so you don't wash down the cylinders or screw up the cats.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Compression test results:

3 cylinders @ 140psi
2 cylinders @ 133,135psi
3 cylinders @ 130 psi

just over 7% difference across all cylinders.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CTTS '06 not making power?