Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

CTTS '06 not making power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
That's not bad at all. I'm concerned with the silver oil. I would pull the airbox on that side and see if you can disconnect the intake pipe that holds the MAF from the turbo inlet. There is a black plastic adapter that angles @ a 45 and it connects to the compressor housing with two allen screws. I think you could get to that and remove it. Then you would be able to see the compressor impeller and housing. You should be able to grab the shaft with your fingers and check for play or any evidence of rubbing.

I guess its possible that you could have enough shaft play and when it started it just shaved the housing and gets worse, but never enough to totally hang up. There's only so many places the silver flakes could be from. It's gotta be the compressor rubbing the housing.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Do you have a shop manual? Pm me and I can share you one via google drive email.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Mr. Haney those numbers look good since you are within 10% deviation between all cylinder compression numbers.

I would also consider taking his advice to try to check the play in the turbocharger housing, however, space is very limited in that area.

Given the options, I would:

1) Perform a leakdown test to confirm that your engine is good:

2) Remove the oil filter and cut it open to verify more metal deposits.

3) Potentially trying to get hands on the turbo compressor wheel

If these hold true, then all signs are pointing to a bad turbocharger.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 04-08-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
On second thought, I do not like that video. I will try to find a better replacement and put it up for the leakdown test.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Vig03 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mr. Haney
that's not bad at all. I'm concerned with the silver oil. I guess its possible that you could have enough shaft play and when it started it just shaved the housing and gets worse, but never enough to totally hang up. There's only so many places the silver flakes could be from. It's gotta be the compressor rubbing the housing.
I did try to get my hands on the impeller shaft last week. The best i could do was get a finger on the nut and try to wiggle. I couln't discern any movement, but as you stated, the silvery fluid can only be coming from the turbo.
Originally Posted by mr. Haney
do you have a shop manual? Pm me and i can share you one via google drive email.
Thanks mr. Haney, that's greatly appreciated!
Originally Posted by renaissance.man
i agree with mr. Haney those numbers look good since you are within 10% deviation between all cylinder compression numbers.

Given the options, i would:

1) perform a leakdown test to confirm that your engine is good:
2) remove the oil filter and cut it open to verify more metal deposits.
3) potentially trying to get hands on the turbo compressor wheel

If these hold true, then all signs are pointing to a bad turbocharger.
1. I was planning on testing leakdown if i found compression to be suspect. Since my numbers seem acceptable i feel the leakdown will only show me something that isn't serious enough to fix.
2. I've already done an oil change and cut the filter open for inspection. Thankfully, i found things to look normal.
3. I did try this and didn't notice any play, but the silvery oil has to be from the turbo...

Thank you guys for all the input, I really do appreciate it

Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Vig03,

I know you did not find a smoking gun, but I think you gathered enough evidence to reasonably assume your turbos are going bad. Either drive them until they seize/blow-a-seal or change them out now. Not sure if I am leaving out any other options.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Vig03,

I know you did not find a smoking gun, but I think you gathered enough evidence to reasonably assume your turbos are going bad. Either drive them until they seize/blow-a-seal or change them out now. Not sure if I am leaving out any other options.
Hey RM,

I definitely don't feel comfortable with the turbo and wouldn't want to risk any further damage to my internals. I actually feel very lucky that my compression results are reasonable. I do plan to do a turbo swap, but I want to get a couple more data logs to see if there are any other issues outside of the turbo that may be contributing to my symptoms of low power. Once I have some logs I'll post them up. Thanks

Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Cool -good luck. I too would count myself lucky if the engine was still good.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM
I was looking at some of the parameters for data logging with a Durametric last night. I found "Air mass sensor left" and "Air mass sensor right". I plan to data log with these parameters and see if there's a difference. Assuming that my passenger side turbo is good, a lower reading on the left MAF may help validate the bad turbo. Maybe I can compare logs to another member to see if one or both are not functioning properly. I guess I'd also be assuming my MAFs are both in good shape...

Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM
These are the best option I have found for a direct bolt in performance replacement,

http://www.hybridturbos.com/hybrid-t...turbochargers/

Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks Mr. Haney. I'll probably just end up having mine rebuilt by Midwest.

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to figure what else could be contributing to my problem; I'm convinced there is more to this. I did another set of data logs and it seems a bit off. My ignition angle seems to be all over the place and total Air Mass is still odd. Also, I did all runs WOT in 3rd gear only from 2k-7k RPM.

I'm really confused by all this. Maybe RM can chime in?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
April 13,2014 Run 2.pdf (256.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:55 PM
I know, the prices are ridiculous! You could literally buy two gt30 turbo's w/Tial v band housings, two Tial wastegates, and have a set of iconel manifolds made for that much!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
I know, the prices are ridiculous! You could literally buy two gt30 turbo's w/Tial v band housings, two Tial wastegates, and have a set of iconel manifolds made for that much!
The price really is crazy!

I'm taking a look at a possible boost leak again. My data logs for Air pressure just don't make sense. Will hopefully have some more info soon...

Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Vig03
I'm really confused by all this. Maybe RM can chime in?
I am on my mobile device now, so I am limited. Give me a few hours to get to a computer and I will see what I can make of the info here...