Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Low Tread after 2 years! WTF!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I had the same Conti CrossContact tires on my G-wagen and they were at about 40-50% tread after only 10k miles. They were 305/35-22. Unfortunately I sliced a sidewall off-roading and had to replace all four since 1) they didn't offer the tire in that size any more and 2) the difference in rotational diameters would be too much between the new and existing tires. (BTW I still have the 3 other tires left if anybody wants them for free! And now they started making that size again too...)

Originally Posted by richie996
When I had my 996, I remember getting 15k out of the rears no problem..... I don't drive hard.
That's pretty obvious if you're getting 15k miles out of rear tires on a 911!

Originally Posted by richie996
They are making good and offering me a 50% discount on any Continental replacement for all 4, so now just working through that..
That's really great customer service, especially when they're high performance tires with no warranty and they owe you nothing! That's a serious discount to get. Who did you end up talking to that got you the deal?

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I am running Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my Cayenne as my "summer" tires, and they are very good. The car still handles well and I get about 30,000 miles out of a set.
I don't know why so many people buy those tires other than they're Contis and all season tires. "All season" tires are called that because they're lousy in all seasons! I know why you have dedicated winter tires living in Evergreen since I'm 5 minutes from old downtown Evergreen, and anything other than good snow tires are useless in the snow. Why not get good high performance dedicated summer tires too then instead of crappy all-seasons?

By the way, it dumped over a foot of snow on me yesterday. How much did you get? I leave my winter tires on my 911 until mid-May. Two or three years ago I had a storm in mid-May that dumped over two feet on me!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 PM
09RedGTS is on a distinguished road
Re: Available Treadwaear Ratings

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
There is not a tire made in a 285/295/305 21" with a treadwear rating over 280. Remember that the pig weighs 5900lbs. Please be sure that the tires you are using have an xl load rating. Especially if you plan on driving at high speed.
Tire Rack now shows 3 Pirelli's with treadwear rating of 300. That's not a lot better but worth near 1/32 at end of life.

Last edited by 09RedGTS; 04-23-2014 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2014, 02:22 PM
BobbySpeed will become famous soon enoughBobbySpeed will become famous soon enough
I only got about 15k out of my Cinti UHPs.
I have dedicated snows, but after speaking to a few tire dealers and Damon I am switching to the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus. The are new, but the previous generation had great reviews and the new ones ar supposed to be petter- they are 109V.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Tire Rack now shows 3 Pirelli's with treadwear rating of 300. That's not a lot better but worth near 1/32 at end of life.
You got me, I didn't even consider those because at almost twice the cost of the Vred's I don't think that the 1/32nd and 20 extra points in treadwear is worth the extra $2-300.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:42 PM
you guys will laugh, but

Over the past 4 weeks, I have bought 3 used and am about to buy another one all with 6 to 7/32 tread. And my total cost will be about $400 for the 4 of them. For me they are fine as I just use my GTS for blasting around the local burbs of Orlando on nice days.

If/when I do move my GTS up to Chicagoland next year and be able to sometimes use it up there in cold weather, I will have to downsize into more normal all-season tires.

For now the 21s work really well for me. And I don't mind wearing my back tires down to 1/32 and my fronts down to 3/32, for the way I used mine.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:16 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Are you rotating them every 2-3,000 miles? That will extend your tire life by double - at least.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 PM
As far as rotation, Yes...

it looks like my backs will hit 1/32 b4 my fronts hit 3/32. So I will be moving the fronts to the back and putting my 'new' pair on the front.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Over the past 4 weeks, I have bought 3 used and am about to buy another one all with 6 to 7/32 tread.
So long as they're not patched or plugged, and the beads are not damaged, buying used 21" tires can definitely save one some cash. But I've had too many disappointments buying used tires sight unseen based on the "condition" represented by the seller. I'd say go for it if you're able to buy locally and inspect before purchase, but otherwise, caveat emptor.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:25 PM
cmoore1 is on a distinguished road
An interesting factoid--if you get Pirelli Pzero from tire rack in Mercedes spec the UTQG is only 160 vs 300 for N1 Porsche. Also the Michelin Latitude Sport comes in at 220 and $517 ea!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:12 PM
That's why I'll use $100 used 21s in the meantime. When I relocate my Pig to Chicagoland I will pick up a set of 19" take offs with all season tires, and dump my 21s. I've seen near new 19" take offs in the $1800-1900 range with free shipping. Nothing wrong with that.