Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

957 Cayenne ATF recomendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:10 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Thanks for all the input.

I too have used redline drive line products in other cars. From the weeks of research I have done I believe the redline is actually an upgrade to the OEM trans fluid.

Going with redline for the trans, transfer case and diffs.

For engine oil I am going with Joe Gibbs Driven DT-40. No debate there.

ECS put together a nice kit for me. I think I will give a go this weekend.
I'm about to do my transfer case and diff with redline too! �� Just turned 60k miles and think I better get it done! I use Redline 5w40 in the Cayenne motor as well!! ��

Old 05-17-2014, 02:42 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
I'm not about to change my own anymore although I might top it off if needed. Does anyone know how many qts are usually drained compared to the published capacity?

Some automatic trannies only give up about half their fluid when drained for a 'change'.
Just finished draining mine. I got a little over 8 quarts approx. I pulled the drain plug, then the pan and let it sit and drain for 24 hours.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Okay so I did the trans service last weekend. Easy peasy, well within the capabilities of an average person. I obtained a nice kit from ECS tuning with the Redline D4 and used their excellent DIY.

Some observations,

I made sure my Durametric measured trans ATF temp first, and it did.
I also made sure I could remove the fill, drain and pan bolts before I ordered the kit.
Take your time with the pan bolts. Some of the bolt holes are open all the way though. That lets water, salt and everything else to collect in there and corrode the bolts. I used PB blaster and time to remove them.
I would highly recommend new pan bolts.

I also highly recommend the Motive fluid transfer pump. I dont think you could get the fluid in fast enough before the trans hits 40c with a hand pump.

I think the Porsche 160k mile change is a joke. The fluid removed was very dirty. I did not do an oil analysis and that well may have proved the oil had life left in it. For me it it looks like a dog and smells like a dog .. its a dog.

Immediate results, the shift from 1st to 2nd comes noticeably sooner. All the shifts are more positive. Of course this is with only a couple of days on it. We will see long term.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0422.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	928.2 KB
ID:	377288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0419.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	377289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0441.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	1,019.0 KB
ID:	377290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0442.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	997.0 KB
ID:	377291  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Taiwanese is on a distinguished road
Sorry to bring up this old thread.
I am at 60k miles on my 2010 V6. I assume I use the same fluid?

Transmission Red Line D4
Transfer case Red Line 75W-90
Front diff Red Line 75W-90
Rear diff Red Line 75W-90

And transmission filter.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:09 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Transmission fluid - yes
Transfer case fluid - yes
Front diff - yes
Rear Diff - yes

NOTE: many have used other vendor fluids which were suitable as well.
Have fun.

Originally Posted by Taiwanese
Sorry to bring up this old thread.
I am at 60k miles on my 2010 V6. I assume I use the same fluid?

Transmission Red Line D4
Transfer case Red Line 75W-90
Front diff Red Line 75W-90
Rear diff Red Line 75W-90

And transmission filter.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Taiwanese is on a distinguished road
I just went through Pelican site. They suggest using transfer case oil for transfer case.

I assume transfer case oil is different from 75W-90?

Old 10-13-2014, 04:12 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Okay so I did the trans service last weekend. Easy peasy, well within the capabilities of an average person. I obtained a nice kit from ECS tuning with the Redline D4 and used their excellent DIY.

Some observations,

I made sure my Durametric measured trans ATF temp first, and it did.
I also made sure I could remove the fill, drain and pan bolts before I ordered the kit.
Take your time with the pan bolts. Some of the bolt holes are open all the way though. That lets water, salt and everything else to collect in there and corrode the bolts. I used PB blaster and time to remove them.
I would highly recommend new pan bolts.

I also highly recommend the Motive fluid transfer pump. I dont think you could get the fluid in fast enough before the trans hits 40c with a hand pump.

I think the Porsche 160k mile change is a joke. The fluid removed was very dirty. I did not do an oil analysis and that well may have proved the oil had life left in it. For me it it looks like a dog and smells like a dog .. its a dog.

Immediate results, the shift from 1st to 2nd comes noticeably sooner. All the shifts are more positive. Of course this is with only a couple of days on it. We will see long term.
Do you remember how much fluid you were able to get out? My Mechanic said you could only get 6 or 7 quarts IIRC?

Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by machinegunt
Do you remember how much fluid you were able to get out? My Mechanic said you could only get 6 or 7 quarts IIRC?
I got a little more than 8 quarts out. I filled two, one gallon milk containers plus a little.
I did let it drain over night.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
BG305 is on a distinguished road
If you think the porsche ATF is expensive in the states don't come to Costa Rica. The dealer quoted me $60 a liter and said I needed 9L. With tax its a cool $600 for the ATF alone. I wonder what they want for the filter and gasket.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I also highly recommend the Motive fluid transfer pump.
+1... although I had to change the angle of the hook into to fit over the fill tunnel in the pan. I just bent it by hand since it is aluminum.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Boosted955 is on a distinguished road
Good thing porsche doesn't make their own gas.
Redline fluid is used in many 1000hp race cars that I know of. Surely it can handle a Cayenne.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:36 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boosted955
Redline fluid is used in many 1000hp race cars that I know of. Surely it can handle a Cayenne.

Just to be clear, this isn't about a synthetic fluid (redline) not being able to handle our power levels, but it is about our tranny possibly not being able to handle a synthetic fluid.

Remember different fluids will have different viscosities and will cause the valvebody to behave in unpredictable ways. It could be better or it could be worse.

Considering that we have a valvebody assembly seemingly made of candy straws, that is not a risk I advise anyone to take. Just go with OEM or equivalent.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:59 PM
markar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to allmarkar is a name known to all
Hi everyone,
Please I need help to understand this . I just buy the Orginal ATF kit from ECS
My Mecahanic also was able to only fill 5 liters in to transmission, owner's manual saying 9 liters is Hi doing this wrong? Do I worry about over heating tranny when towing my boat.
Are they not waiting long enough to drain or not doing the right temperature? Do I go buy new Kit and start over again do this time right? please give me some advise.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Have to fill tranny at 40c. No more no less.
Fill until starts dripping out.
Run car while filling to uptake more.
When turn car off after filling, extra stuff will drop out anyway.
Likely when draining mechanic did not drain all out.
Ask how much came out to get a sense for qty.
good luck.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
I believe redline D4 is ok. I personally use redline D6 on my 957T if you don't have access to OEM fluid. Although I haven't taken apart my tranny to inspect, I have not had any issues with the redline D6. My indy shop has used it on over at least 50 cayennes for years and no reported issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 957 Cayenne ATF recomendation