Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Do I have piston slap?! Say it ain't so!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 AM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
LOL, an LS3 would be sweet. I'd be more likely to put one of those in an old 944 tho.

I meant an aftermarket (third party) warranty. Bought one on my previous BMW and it definitely paid off. The CTT was warrantied until about 10k miles ago but the previous owner wasn't quite the perfectionist that I am and the service adviser kinda screwed her over. She complained about the transmission numerous times and all they ever did was replace the TCU. Then as soon as she was out of warranty BOOM they recommended a full transmission replacement. *******s.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:41 AM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
amazing

You ask for advice and get about the only viable advice, to have it properly diagnosed, and then you get pi$$y! amazing. Then you post that your Cay is at the dealership with no mention that you are having them diagnose your problem. Amazing again. my dealership does a full look over any time it's in and they would tell me WITHOUT ASKING what is recommended. you either need better listeners or a better mechanic.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by MileHigh986
You ask for advice and get about the only viable advice, to have it properly diagnosed, and then you get pi$$y! amazing. Then you post that your Cay is at the dealership with no mention that you are having them diagnose your problem. Amazing again. my dealership does a full look over any time it's in and they would tell me WITHOUT ASKING what is recommended. you either need better listeners or a better mechanic.
Is there something in the air in Denver that makes people act like this? Is it the weed? I figured that'd mellow you out.

Not pissy at all, just don't exactly appreciate "I don't know, take it to a mechanic" responses as they add no value whatsoever. If you read the whole thread, which I assume you didn't because you missed this part:
Then you post that your Cay is at the dealership with no mention that you are having them diagnose your problem.
Originally Posted by BamaScoot
Also asked the mechanic to just listen to it and let me know his thoughts so we'll see.
I just got the car from an out-of-towner, so this is my first experience with the local dealership. They're (re)fixing the air pump and going to listen to the engine. I didn't authorize them to tear it apart or anything crazy, just use a stethoscope or something similar to listen to it.

But thanks for adding nothing of value to the topic.

As I stated before, just looking for folks to say "sounds normal" or "doesn't sound normal." Obviously nobody can diagnose the specific issue, but you should be able to compare it to your CTT and say whether or not you think an issue even exists. And to those that did respond in this manner, I'm greatly appreciative.

Last edited by BamaScoot; 06-06-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:56 AM
MileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura aboutMileHigh986 has a spectacular aura about
I know low-landers don't know much about the mountains but I'm not in Denver. Secondly, try to keep to the topic and refrain from your drug-use commentary. At least you listened to the advice you back talked and took your vehicle to a dealership for evaluation. I see there's no reason to follow your "BamaScoot's Build/Journal Thread" thread and, oh yeah, definitely Ricey.

Last edited by MileHigh986; 06-06-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I know low-landers don't know much about the mountains but I'm not in Denver. Secondly, try to keep to the topic and refrain from your drug-use commentary. At least you listened to the advice you back talked and took your vehicle to a dealership for evaluation. I see there's no reason to follow your "BamaScoot's Build/Journal Thread" thread and, oh yeah, definitely Ricey.
The CTT is at the dealer to replace the air pump again (separate issue) and to get the new wheels/tires mounted/balanced since few people in the area can do 21" wheels. While it's there I asked to listen to knock. That's different than taking it in just on suspicion of possible knock. As for ricey, are you referring to the porsche emblem door lights? If so then yes, I agree they probably are. But that's why I posted them here, to share ideas and information. That's what we're supposed to do, right? Not just say, "I don't know if it's ricey, ask your mechanic."

Old 06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BamaScoot
The CTT is at the dealer to replace the air pump again (separate issue) and to get the new wheels/tires mounted/balanced since few people in the area can do 21" wheels. While it's there I asked to listen to knock. That's different than taking it in just on suspicion of possible knock. As for ricey, are you referring to the porsche emblem door lights? If so then yes, I agree they probably are. But that's why I posted them here, to share ideas and information. That's what we're supposed to do, right? Not just say, "I don't know if it's ricey, ask your mechanic."
Bama, if you did have piston slap there isnt anything you can do about short of a new engine.
Slap is caused by excessive cylinder wall clearance, not just scratches. On my ctt 4.5@ 180k the cylinders were very very worn but not a single scratch. Slap would be much more noticeable when cold. Id be hard pressed to beleive anything a dealer says. MOST of their techs are just hook up a computer, r+r monkeys anyhow.

I would suggest you roll a fatty and drive the crap out of the cay untill it breaks, or unload it now. In reality those are your two choices.

Last edited by Mr. Haney; 06-07-2014 at 07:39 AM. Reason: edit
Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Bama, if you did have piston slap there isnt anything you can do about short of a new engine.
Slap is caused by excessive cylinder wall clearance, not just scratches. On my ctt 4.5@ 180k the cylinders were very very worn but not a single scratch. Slap would be much more noticeable when cold. Id be hard pressed to beleive anything a dealer says. MOST of their techs are just hook up a computer, r+r monkeys anyhow.

I would suggest you roll a fatty and drive the crap out of the cay untill it breaks, or unload it now. In reality those are your two choices.
Mr. Haney makes sense.

Did your CTT at 180k have any slap Mr Haney?

Old 06-07-2014, 12:03 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Bigbuzuki
Mr. Haney makes sense.

Did your CTT at 180k have any slap Mr Haney?
I know it sounded a lot better when I got it with 65k on the odo! It did have some noises. But it never slowed me down.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Drk Knight is a jewel in the roughDrk Knight is a jewel in the roughDrk Knight is a jewel in the rough
I would bore and sleeve the cylinders. Rode atv's for a long time. Engine starts to wear, just bored, sleeved and changed the rings. Good as new.
... Or bore and get bigger pistons

Old 06-09-2014, 07:15 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
Sounds normal to me.
Just Drive...

Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
So, what was the diagnosis on the engine noise?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech said it sounded normal. Very relieved.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Perfect.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
I had a little scare myself earlier this week it had been raining at the house and some water had made its way into the tail pipe causing smoke on startup. Thanks the the use of google and time I know that there is nothing to sweat about.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:55 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Lets keep this off topic, I am rounding year 8 of owning my Rig. And @ 160k DD miles going on the clock. Aside from some annoying electrical issues I would toy with the idea of 5k GM crate engine drop into the wide open engine.

I just wonder if the Aisin would hook up and other caveats to Frankenstein these like the 928's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I have piston slap?! Say it ain't so!!!!