Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Do I have piston slap?! Say it ain't so!!!!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Do I have piston slap?! Say it ain't so!!!!

Reading the engine replacement thread on rennlist got me worried so I decided to listen to my engine closer. I thought it just needed coils but now I'm worried it may have the dreaded slap. What say you?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8DZfuIcKNY

Idle is a tiny tad bit rough but it's due for coils and plugs. Other than that engine runs perfect fine, doesn't burn that much oil, doesn't hesitate or stutter etc.

If anyone can post this video on rennlist in the above linked thread I'd appreciate it. For some reason I'm having issues registering on that forum.

Last edited by BamaScoot; 06-04-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 PM
wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road
Sounds normal to me.

And, before you go crazy, you should know that the scoring problem is almost entirely with the Cayenn S, not the Turbo.

Check your torque arm, too, as that will cause some vibration at idle if it's bad. If you've never replaced it, I'm almost certain it's on it's last leg.

Now, please step away from the edge and come back inside

Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I read about that, because they lack oil squirters in the pistons. Still I don't like the "thunk thunk thunk" coming from the same place where the CS guys complain about it.

I'll definitely check the arm. It's just checking the bushing to see if its worn out, right?

Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, no ... no way to tell. If your engine is running rough it could be affecting several things, including a misfire. Only your mechanic will know. Personally, I wouldn't be driving it if I heard valve or any other unusual noises without getting it properly diagnosed. Luckily these are pretty hardy engines.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Yes, no ... no way to tell. If your engine is running rough it could be affecting several things, including a misfire. Only your mechanic will know. Personally, I wouldn't be driving it if I heard valve or any other unusual noises without getting it properly diagnosed. Luckily these are pretty hardy engines.
No way to tell? Did you watch the video??

Old 06-04-2014, 11:15 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry but recordings don't isolate and identify a specific problem. If it did, you would have your diagnosis.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Sorry but recordings don't isolate and identify a specific problem. If it did, you would have your diagnosis.
Well, thanks a bunch for the insight.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 AM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
denversteve is right. Vids do a lousy job of isolating sounds. BTW that engine sounds about like most CTT I have heard.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by mtnrat
denversteve is right. Vids do a lousy job of isolating sounds. BTW that engine sounds about like most CTT I have heard.
True, but it's really the only option I have of sharing the noise with this board. Unless anyone wants to come to Alabama to hear it in person? You can hear the thunk noise more when the camera is on the drivers side of the engine. Same area where the CS guys are complaining about theirs.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Yea, it is kinda tough with all the other noise. Have you tried using an stethoscope? Good for really isolating noises.
Mechanics Stethoscope Automotive Engine Diagnostic Tool: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen Mechanics Stethoscope Automotive Engine Diagnostic Tool: Amazon.ca: Home & Kitchen

Old 06-05-2014, 01:16 PM
wrinkledpants is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BamaScoot
True, but it's really the only option I have of sharing the noise with this board. Unless anyone wants to come to Alabama to hear it in person? You can hear the thunk noise more when the camera is on the drivers side of the engine. Same area where the CS guys are complaining about theirs.
Do you have a CS. <- I didn't use a question mark there because I don't think rhetorical questions need them.

If you have a bore problem, then nobody here is going to be able to figure that out for you. Either take it to a shop or buy a scope, pull the plugs, and look inside. I mean - this is pretty simple ****.

What did you expect us to do? Tell you that, without a shadow of a doubt, your motor is fine? Or it's not fine and it's going to fail in 18.3 miles?

I've posted suggestions of known parts that fail that would contribute to what you think you're hearing. Others have posted their ideas, as well.

If you are that panicked, and you don't know what to do, then take the damn car to the shop and have them look at it. I mean - the Porsche dealer charges like 100 bucks for diagnosing things.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
What did you expect us to do? Tell you that, without a shadow of a doubt, your motor is fine? Or it's not fine and it's going to fail in 18.3 miles?

I've posted suggestions of known parts that fail that would contribute to what you think you're hearing. Others have posted their ideas, as well.
Of course not. But a simple "sounds normal" or "sounds rough" would be nice. I have only owned this car a short amount of time and folks here have presumably owned theirs longer so would know what its "supposed" to sound like. Not sure that such hostility and "I don't know, take it to a mechanic" responses are warranted.

I do appreciate your recommendation to check the engine torque arm. That has been on my list, likely when I tackle the plugs this weekend.

Last edited by BamaScoot; 06-05-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Id say get it checked out if it worries you or ride it down in a blaze of glory. Either way if it is "BAD" you are going to get hit hard in replacement/repair fees.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by gh0stman
Id say get it checked out if it worries you or ride it down in a blaze of glory. Either way if it is "BAD" you are going to get hit hard in replacement/repair fees.
Yeah. It's at the dealer now getting my new wheels/tires mounted and they're following up on P0492. First came on a few months ago, was fixed out of pocket by previous owner, and has come on twice again since then. They aren't doing something right, but the air pump is under warranty now so F it. Also asked the mechanic to just listen to it and let me know his thoughts so we'll see. If he thinks it's going you bet your *** I'll be finding an aftermarket powertrain-only warranty...

Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Aftermarket as in LS3 conversion???? Just for Giggles I called Suncoast Porsche to see what a reman'd engine would run me in the 4.8l range. Needless to say even though it was just a wild thought I still had to sit down.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I have piston slap?! Say it ain't so!!!!