Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

VR-Tuned 08 Cayenne

Old 07-06-2014, 09:14 PM
CUNNINGHAM is on a distinguished road
VR-Tuned 08 Cayenne

Just want to give a big thanks to Dan at Vivid Racing for getting me set up with my tune. After doing my research on all the options and systems out there I chose the VR-Tuned for reasons of price, HP and their reputation, I couldn't be happier. I did have a few minor issues, my fault, but that is to be expected seeing this is my first Porsche and German car after 3 decades of building Japanese cars, learning curve begins now, and I only owned it for three days. Dan did a great job in working with me to get it worked out quickly.

My first impression after driving it for over 100 miles is DAMN! While driving and you hit the sport button you instantly see a 1000 RPM jump and it wants to GO!

It is always a good day when I get to turn the key in my VR-Tuned Cayenne.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thank you!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
CUNNINGHAM is on a distinguished road
Update: I have now over 2100 miles on my tuned CS and it rips. With the PSM off and in Sport mode it is an absolute animal. Power comes on nice and strong in the lower RPM, better than before, and maintains into the higher RPM. Fuel Economy has been in the 18-22 mpg range with an 50% average of city and highway.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Glad to hear! Post up some pictures and spread the word

Old 08-19-2014, 02:34 PM
mshimon is on a distinguished road
I can't tell if you mentioned the model? GTS? Turbo?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:04 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mshimon
I can't tell if you mentioned the model? GTS? Turbo?
Got to be a GTS getting 18-22MPG!! If not I really need to look at my Turbo!!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor
This was a S.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:17 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jdubbya
Got to be a GTS getting 18-22MPG!! If not I really need to look at my Turbo!!

Most tunes for the Turbo will boost the crap out of the HP. I forget actual/claimed figures but the last time I looked I want to say most I saw were somewhere in the 100+ HP range on stock setup. But I am sure of one thing, HP is like lays potato chips...once you get some you cant stop.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:26 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gh0stman
Most tunes for the Turbo will boost the crap out of the HP. I forget actual/claimed figures but the last time I looked I want to say most I saw were somewhere in the 100+ HP range on stock setup. But I am sure of one thing, HP is like lays potato chips...once you get some you cant stop.
Yeah, I meant for gas mileage. If he was getting 18-22 with a turbo I'd want to know how! I already have a tune and yep you are right, I still want more!!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM
aspenone will become famous soon enoughaspenone will become famous soon enough
hey buddy! nice numbers

Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 PM
RKD in OKC is on a distinguished road
Just VR-Tuned my 04 CS instead of getting a Sprint Booster. Smoothed out the initial throttle response and added umph all the way to red line.

Butt Dyno Report...

The reason I did the ECU tune is when first starting out or adding gas after a turn the first 1/4 inch of travel seems to have no effect then because you keep pushing it hits hard. Very annoying when pulling out into traffic from a stop sign. My BMW X3 also did this, BMW told me it was a combination of Throttle by wire and the hill holding feature, and could not be fixed.

Well for the most part it is much smoother. Now it only hesitates on rare occasions. Feels much safer (without the lag) pulling out into traffic now. And unless I floor it hard enough to bring on a downshift it has lost the hesitation coming out of a corner.

Not only is adding throttle smoother, partial throttle is much zippier. While accelerating less than half throttle up to the speed limit after a light, I noticed it felt zippier. About that time I heard a roar beside me. A Mustang GT was really piling on the power and shifting hard to keep up.

At full throttle before it kind of evened off at 4000 rpm the shifted by 5000. Now it doesn't feel like the acceleration slows down until it shifts at RED LINE.

The ECU upgrade definitely made the old Cayenne drive more like a Porsche and less like an SUV.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:31 PM
4x4
4x4 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gh0stman
How do these tuned (stock) cars last? Must be heck of a lot of load on the tranny and all other related parts. Wouldn't mind getting 600HP instead of the stock 500 on my 08 Turbo

Old 09-08-2014, 12:37 PM
I just wish there were similar gains for the NA cayennes. Then I might have modified what I got. But picked up a truck with a turbo and got it tuned and love having torque over HP any day of the week.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor
Ghostman look at RDK review, give it a try, you wont be let down!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:44 AM
What kind of HP gains are we talking about? Most of the ones I have seen have been in the 30ish+ HP range and for about a grand seems a bit stought.

Now if you could do the same tuning that the turbo guys get and get their big gains for the same price that would be a little more of an incentive.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VR-Tuned 08 Cayenne