Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Alternator blew up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Alternator blew up

Had this truck 6 weeks. Had an air valve clog and now the alternator blew up. I was in the middle of nowhere. Towed 216 miles home. Now I'm staring at a $2,500 bill or a ruined weekend (or two). Pretty sure I'm going to sell the car after this replacement. Can't imagine what else there is that could go wrong once the alternator is replaced (since everything then will have been replaced), but now I just have a sick taste in my stomach about it. Ugh. So, selling my mods including the wheels I just put on and the tubi muffler I got (see sig). Back to BMW I go.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear that you had alternator issues and were left stranded. Hopefully, it is not as bad as it seems. I can try to source some DIY instructions on how to replace the alternator, if you want.

As a side note, not sure if it is fair to place blame on the model/brand since you bought a used vehicle (at least 7 years old) which will need more maintenance. The appeal of buying used is the attractive price versus a new model, however, the tradeoff for price is added maintenance. This will be the same for any brand: Porsche, Range Rover, BMW, etc.

Good luck and let me know what I can do to help.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
People don't have an issue spending thousands of dollars on mods, but seem to have an issue spending money on maintenance.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Paranoia will destroy ya....BMW isn't even the same league as Porsche.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The good news is that you said everything has been replaced. So, no need to worry. As stated above, maintenance is normal. Hopefully you'll have a while to recover before your suspension or air conditioner need work. My rule of thumb is be ready for $2,000 per year (per Porsche) for maintenance. If it's less, great. If it's more it's still better than driving up in front of your house and parking a BMW anyday.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
I'll give you what you paid for it.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by denversteve
The good news is that you said everything has been replaced. So, no need to worry. As stated above, maintenance is normal. Hopefully you'll have a while to recover before your suspension or air conditioner need work. My rule of thumb is be ready for $2,000 per year (per Porsche) for maintenance. If it's less, great. If it's more it's still better than driving up in front of your house and parking a BMW anyday.
It all goes back to is you want to play you are going to pay. Its just the nature of the beast.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:45 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XR4Tim
I'll give you what you paid for it.
Yeah Bamascoot, Ill do you a favor and pay you what you bought it for

Old 07-15-2014, 12:19 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Triple AAA $100 a year>$2500 tow bill.

Cheap insurance.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:01 AM
TT VIPER will become famous soon enough
Did the alternator pulley shred the V-belt? It may be a good idea to replace the water pump, idle pulleys, belt, etc. while you are at it.

I'm sure you will find number of people here who will buy the Cayenne back from you for the price you paid for it or maybe slightly more considering the money you spent on it.

I would keep the Cayenne if I were you. Good luck.

Last edited by TT VIPER; 07-15-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:11 AM
CALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really niceCALMOTION is just really nice
I tried to get the lowest price on mine thinking I would change a number of things under maintenance that other members mentioned (Pipes, belts, driveline suport). I did get a CEL that was not expected and caught a few air leaks and had to change MAF.
Was hoping that should do it ... next schedule change would be plug and coils. Getting stuck for sure will ruin a weekend plus unexpected cost and could understand Bamascoot feelings. Bamascoot once you have it running it will make you forget all of it :-)

Old 07-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Triple AAA $100 a year>$2500 tow bill.

Cheap insurance.
AAA won't take you wherever you want to go. They'll take you like 20 miles. My insurance does the same. The tow bill was around $400 but work reimbursed me since I was on a work trip. The alternator repair was about $2500. Included a few hoses that busted when the belt shredded. Picking it up this afternoon. Swapping in a revmax valve body this weekend then probably listing on eBay for $20k next week.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 PM
aspenone will become famous soon enoughaspenone will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by denversteve
If it's less, great. If it's more it's still better than driving up in front of your house and parking a BMW anyday.

That is awesome!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:01 PM
racer_65 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BamaScoot
The alternator repair was about $2500. Included a few hoses that busted when the belt shredded. Picking it up this afternoon. Swapping in a revmax valve body this weekend then probably listing on eBay for $20k next week.
So was the problem the alternator or the belt?
How many miles on the vehicle?

Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by racer_65
So was the problem the alternator or the belt?
How many miles on the vehicle?
Shop said alternator seized and when the pulley stopped turning the belt shredded. 115k miles.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alternator blew up