Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Put in the Revmax Trans Valve Body today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:27 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Put in the Revmax Trans Valve Body today

Got the cayenne back from the shop for the alternator and decided to tackle the valve body this weekend. I knew it needed to be replaced when I bought the car so it was a necessary expense. Guys from Revmax hooked me up and sent me the kit on Wednesday to arrive Friday. Got the fluid from Amazon (mobil 1 same specs as factory for about 1/8 the cost) and a case of beer for talking a friend into helping. After getting the car jacked up and everything taken off it was really an easy job. Took us 3-4 hours total. VERY VERY MESSY. Holy hell. I have a large drain pan but it kept leaking on the ground. Once the pan is out it drips the entire time you're working on it, and it's difficult to work on just on jacks with the pan in the way so we just dealt with the mess. Anyway, downshifts are now perfectly smooth and the only rough upshift is 2>3 but its only about 10% as rough as it was. The fluid that came out was dark red like robitussin. What went in is nearly opaque red. Big difference. Props to revmax. If you're thinking about doing this yourself, I'd rate it a 4/10 on the difficulty scale. Just be patient, don't use force on the wiring and pay attention to the details. Everything else is simple.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Wait - weren't you selling the turbo a few posts ago?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BamaScoot
Got the cayenne back from the shop for the alternator and decided to tackle the valve body this weekend. I knew it needed to be replaced when I bought the car so it was a necessary expense. Guys from Revmax hooked me up and sent me the kit on Wednesday to arrive Friday. Got the fluid from Amazon (mobil 1 same specs as factory for about 1/8 the cost) and a case of beer for talking a friend into helping. After getting the car jacked up and everything taken off it was really an easy job. Took us 3-4 hours total. VERY VERY MESSY. Holy hell. I have a large drain pan but it kept leaking on the ground. Once the pan is out it drips the entire time you're working on it, and it's difficult to work on just on jacks with the pan in the way so we just dealt with the mess. Anyway, downshifts are now perfectly smooth and the only rough upshift is 2>3 but its only about 10% as rough as it was. The fluid that came out was dark red like robitussin. What went in is nearly opaque red. Big difference. Props to revmax. If you're thinking about doing this yourself, I'd rate it a 4/10 on the difficulty scale. Just be patient, don't use force on the wiring and pay attention to the details. Everything else is simple.
I told you it would be a mess but it is a fairly easy job. If you are having any shift issues still I'd check to make sure it's full. I ended up having to add more fluid the next day after driving a bit. Make sure it's really up to temp. Glad you got it done!

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Wait - weren't you selling the turbo a few posts ago?
Yeah, I thought I read that somewhere too?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:44 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
You have a change of heart on selling it?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I probably am still selling it, but it shifted really bad under load. I don't feel comfortable selling a car I know needs some (rather) serious work done on it. Can't do that with a clean conscience, like selling only cars running well. Golden rule and whatnot...

Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I probably am still selling it, but it shifted really bad under load. I don't feel comfortable selling a car I know needs some (rather) serious work done on it. Can't do that with a clean conscience, like selling only cars running well. Golden rule and whatnot...
Good to hear someone else thinks like I do. I thought about fixing what was wrong with mine and unloading it but I'm liking it. Gonna send in my ECU next week for Softronic tune. Then it should be REALLY fun!!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 PM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
Is this the fix to the really hard shifts under load? I am having that issue… It'll shift so hard sometimes it feels like I lost the tranny somewhere...

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by sempaipaul
Is this the fix to the really hard shifts under load? I am having that issue… It'll shift so hard sometimes it feels like I lost the tranny somewhere...
Yup. Mine was doing the same thing. Any throttle about 1/2 caused brutal upshifts and any quick downshifting at speed caused brutal downshifts. This cured my problem. About $800 in total parts and a few hours labor and she's running smooth now. Click for good DIY writeup.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:38 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
Change the tranny fluid a lot sooner than the recommended 150,000.
Every 40,000 miles will ensure smooth tranny operation.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:02 PM
sempaipaul will become famous soon enough
Yup. Mine was doing the same thing. Any throttle about 1/2 caused brutal upshifts and any quick downshifting at speed caused brutal downshifts. This cured my problem. About $800 in total parts and a few hours labor and she's running smooth now. Click for good DIY writeup.
Any chance you could help find this DIY again? The page shows up as an error and I am looking at doing this very shortly.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Paul

Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by sempaipaul
Any chance you could help find this DIY again? The page shows up as an error and I am looking at doing this very shortly.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Paul
You have to be logged in over there to see it. Might have to be a paying member depending on where the thread is.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:40 PM
hahnmgh63 is on a distinguished road
If you have the time it is best to drain the tranny and let it drain for a few days and then you won't have all of the constant drips. You then can pull the pan and filter and just take some Rags and wipe the oil off all of the components. You will still get a few drips but not like parking it, draining it, and pulling the pan in the same day. As mentioned above, after you do the fill procedure it is best to drive it a mile or two and then let it cool and recheck it again as it takes a while to get the air out of the Cooler lines and such.