Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Rear tires wearing out faster then front

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Waitin4Dv is on a distinguished road
Rear tires wearing out faster then front

Just wondering about your guys thoughts. My rear continentals wore out almost down to wear bars and my fronts still look new. Went to dealor and they didn't want to rotate them, but I made them for a little bit anyways. After rotation had a bad vibration in steering wheel above 60mph. So I rotated them back since they didn't want to balance tires that were close to the wear bars. So I guess I ll wear out rears and then buy another set and get a balance and new alignment which I hope is the problem with the tire wear. Running the stock 21's. The rims were inspected and looked good no cracks or anything. And no I don't have a heavy foot except here and there entering the freeways and not letting the Honda kid pass by me.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I assume your wheels and tires are the same size all the way around - is this correct? Cayennes are rough on rear tires. It's pretty common. Rotation every 5K miles helps.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I assume your wheels and tires are the same size all the way around - is this correct? Cayennes are rough on rear tires. It's pretty common. Rotation every 5K miles helps.
Yeah same size. Guess I'll try that rotating every 5 next time.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:14 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Mine seems to be going thru the rears substantially faster also... Good to know its normal.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Rotate every 2-3 thousand miles, as is recommended for most cars, and you will see even wear and double the mileage.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 PM
mshimon is on a distinguished road
Hm, I seem to wear through the fronts faster. I'll keep an eye on them anyway.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Do you know that the Cayenne AWD system has a 62% rear / 38% front power split?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Do you know that the Cayenne AWD system has a 62% rear / 38% front power split?
Yes just figured they wouldn't wear quite as quick as the steer tires

Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Unless you are constantly going around curves and spend little time on the straights.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 AM
Cannoli is on a distinguished road
As Renaissance.Man and gh0stman have said, due to the power split and going around curves, I believe is the main reason for the excessive rear tire wear. It wasn't mentioned (I didn't read it at least) where the rear tire wear was occuring. I've gone through several sets of tires (mainly Pirelli Scorpion Zeros) and the inside section of the tread was abnormally wearing. My guess is that with the AWD system, the fronts tires do a great job with traction as the vehicle is turning, and the rear portion of the vehicle "slides" outward during the turn, hence the inside section of the rear tire tread wearing more than the outside of the tread. I've improved my overall tire life by tire rotation (5K miles) and taking a more smoother line when going through a turn and then accelerating.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:14 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
With the way mine handles in hard cornering, I felt like it would be more even tire wear.. I get an incredible amount of understeer/push leading into apex on tight corners (I guess that is a given considering the vehicle, I just didn't think it would be to the extreme that it is). It gets to a point at times where the Cayenne is going mostly straight even though the wheel is turned hard, then as approach the apex it gets itself back into line.. Its much harder to get the rear to step out than it is to get the front push for me.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM
My rears wore out evenly across but just really fast. Already at wear bars and my front looks like there almost new. Not even a year old and my wife drives it for errands that's about it. I get on it sometime but not too much. I'm going to start rotating every 5000 once I buy some new rears

Old 09-02-2014, 03:18 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Waitin4Dv
My rears wore out evenly across but just really fast. Already at wear bars and my front looks like there almost new. Not even a year old and my wife drives it for errands that's about it. I get on it sometime but not too much. I'm going to start rotating every 5000 once I buy some new rears
Not to start a fight but...how does your wife drive? Hopefully not like Ken Block.LOL

Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by gh0stman
Not to start a fight but...how does your wife drive? Hopefully not like Ken Block.LOL
Lol I hope not either, time for a hidden camera

Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Cpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to beholdCpa4S is a splendid one to behold
these eat the 21 inch tires - cost of life imo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear tires wearing out faster then front