Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Introduction and looking at buying a CTT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:41 PM
m5james is on a distinguished road
- Rear main seal is going to be the biggest ***** to replace, but something I can probably do it inside of 10hrs.
- Slight oil leak is fixed by an o-ring that's a few bucks.
- While I wish the stock stereo worked, I've got no issues upgrading because it's something I do, just like the performance mods to the engine.
- Rear shocks are wear items, they work on my included driveway, but I can feel little resistance when closing, which means it couldn't hurt to replace them.
- The diverter valves are apparently these are functioning just the way their supposed to from what I'm told based on the boost levels. I'd replace them and the leaking oil o-ring at the same time.

While a $10 rear main seal is hell to replace, a $93k SUV selling for $16k w/ $4k in mods (doesn't matter for resale, but it matters to me because then I don't have to buy them at retail myself), yes, I consider it to be in pretty good shape. I know you'd rather me spend $500 on a flight to Alabama and spend $21k on your mom's Porsche, but that's just not realistic when anything from small to larger in terms in repairs is something I can handle myself. The $5500 price difference (that's before I've negotiated him down on price) between this one locally and yours on the other side of the US makes it illogical to consider..$5500 is a lot of money that can be better spent in maintenance and additional mods.

Last edited by m5james; 09-02-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by LV_V
Yes, you are changing the baseline height. i.e. use the durametric to reduce height by 20mm and it takes 20mm off of the baseline for each preset height setting
Thanks, noted.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:14 PM
BamaScoot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by m5james
- Rear main seal is going to be the biggest ***** to replace, but something I can probably do it inside of 10hrs.
- Slight oil leak is fixed by an o-ring that's a few bucks.
- While I wish the stock stereo worked, I've got no issues upgrading because it's something I do, just like the performance mods to the engine.
- Rear shocks are wear items, they work on my included driveway, but I can feel little resistance when closing, which means it couldn't hurt to replace them.
- The diverter valves are apparently these are functioning just the way their supposed to from what I'm told based on the boost levels. I'd replace them and the leaking oil o-ring at the same time.

While a $10 rear main seal is hell to replace, a $93k SUV selling for $16k w/ $4k in mods (doesn't matter for resale, but it matters to me because then I don't have to buy them at retail myself), yes, I consider it to be in pretty good shape. I know you'd rather me spend $500 on a flight to Alabama and spend $21k on your mom's Porsche, but that's just not realistic when anything from small to larger in terms in repairs is something I can handle myself. The $5500 price difference (that's before I've negotiated him down on price) between this one locally and yours on the other side of the US makes it illogical to consider..$5500 is a lot of money that can be better spent in maintenance and additional mods.
No need to get personal. I sold mine before I made my post. No ulterior motives in my post, but if I saw a car with those issues I'd pass. Just giving my opinion.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM
I'm not getting personal, I'm just being logical. I'd prefer your white one over this black one (my first X5 was white and I loved it, my 7 is black and it's hell to keep clean in Seattle), but you're simply too far away for such a small purchase.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:54 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
It all goes back to...To each his own. One mans trash is another mans Treasure. I have nursed vehicles back to life. Not as extensively as m5james is about to get into, but what matters is it makes you happy.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Bought my 7 for $18k, three months into ownership the engine ate itself alive due to a poorly done head gasket job, which in turn the timing chain guides came lose. After I got it back, I kinda roasted the open diff having some fun with friends :-) Roughly $15k later and its got a brand new engine and diff, a car with classic lines and more than enough room for my 6'4" self with people in the backseat.

Bought my Harley F150 for 11k, six months into ownership I broke a rod due to running too much boost in the winter. Another roughly $13k later and I've got a pickup that'll run 11's and can still be daily driven...you can never go wrong with having a truck.

You should see the mess I'm going to get myself into to be (as far as I know) the first roots supercharged X5 by adapting the SC kit from a Jaguar XJR.

If a $10 gasket and a weekend of work means this Porsche is trash and ready for the scrap heap, then indeed, to each their own. The rear main isn't going to be easy, but if these engines are as stout as I've read about, it'll be money well spent and probably just about as much of a headache as doing the cardan shaft or coolant pipes. Albeit this Porsche isn't a classic car of family heirloom, but don't ever watch Overhaulin' because it'll blow your mind what they do to really trashed cars :-)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jamesdriiting.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	400779   Click image for larger version

Name:	boarde38_2560.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	400780   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130304_104333.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	400781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9551655772019-1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	400782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cgosms_2014-06-2201-30-05.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	400783  

Last edited by m5james; 09-03-2014 at 11:19 PM.