Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Bypass install fitment issues suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:18 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Bypass install fitment issues suggestions?

Purchased some bypass pipes from Hanks and am having some fitment issues. After install I noticed a loud rattle upon acceleration. I checked the install and noticed the drivers side pipe rubbing against the crossmember (about 1mm clearance). I tried prying up on the pipe and adjusting the hanger but no luck!

Called Hank and he offered a refund or suggested I put some washers under the crossmember but I am not sure that is ok since the trans support bolts to it and I dont want to throw anything else out of alignment.

I am also getting an exhaust leak at the rear connection. Is their any sort of sealant I can use?

Last edited by dgreen78; 09-26-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:33 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
I just noticed that I'm having the exact same issue with my new 3" B&B exhaust system. The driver side is actually touching with zero clearnence and the passenger side just maybe 1/2". It sucks!

passenger side

Old 09-26-2014, 05:40 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to the club. My Hanksville driver side bypass doesn't fit either. Hank says he has a 955 coming into his shop in a few weeks and will adjust his welding jig then and send a replacement. In the meantime, the rattle is so bad and so frequent that I'm going to reinstall the secondary cats temporarily because it's just ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on some really simple piping and not have it fit or have it break (Leistung). I know, at least, the factory pieces fit correctly.

From your pictures, yours has the identical clearance issue that mine does. It simply bends inward too soon towards the rear, causing it to bump into the cross member. I would strongly advise against putting washers in and attempting to adjust the cross member downward in that fashion. It's a not a fix for a poorly designed and manufactured part. I'm hoping he steps up as he said he would and fixes the design of the part and sends out a replacement. We'll see.

And to keep the rant going, is there a single bypass vendor that actually supplies a set of secondary cat bypass pipe that actually fits and is durable? Every single vendor I'm aware of has had an issue - Fabspeed with the hangers binding into the chassis, FVD with the support brackets being too long and needing trimming of length, Leistung with brackets breaking (and delayed or non-delivery), Hanksville simply not fitting, and B&B not fitting as well (see above). These pipes aren't rocket science, and it shouldn't be so hard to find a quality aftermarket part. But it is. Very sad.

Last edited by spooltime; 09-26-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:45 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spooltime
Welcome to the club. My Hanksville driver side bypass doesn't fit either. Hank says he has a 955 coming into his shop in a few weeks and will adjust his welding jig then and send a replacement. In the meantime, the rattle is so bad and so frequent that I'm going to reinstall the secondary cats temporarily because it's just ridiculous to spend hundreds of dollars on some really simple piping and not have it fit or have it break (Leistung). I know, at least, the factory pieces fit correctly.

From your pictures, yours has the identical clearance issue that mine does. It simply bends inward too soon towards the rear, causing it to bump into the cross member. I would strongly advise against putting washers in and attempting to adjust the cross member downward in that fashion. It's a not a fix for a poorly designed and manufactured part. I'm hoping he steps up as he said he would and fixes the design of the part and sends out a replacement. We'll see.

And to keep the rant going, is there a single bypass vendor that actually supplies a set of secondary cat bypass pipe that actually fits and is durable? Every single vendor I'm aware of has had an issue - Fabspeed with the hangers binding into the chassis, FVD with the support brackets being too long and needing trimming of length, Leistung with brackets breaking (and delayed or non-delivery), Hanksville simply not fitting. These pipes aren't rocket science, and it shouldn't be so hard to find a quality aftermarket part. But it is. Very sad.
Please include B&B into the mix as I just posted pictures that they deserve to be on the list as well

Old 09-26-2014, 05:50 PM
spooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the roughspooltime is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RacinTwinJason
Please include B&B into the mix as I just posted pictures that they deserve to be on the list as well

Added!

And here's my bypass pipe experience:

Leistung:

Hanksville:

(view from rear of driver's side looking forward)

Last edited by spooltime; 09-26-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:27 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I think I am going to have to remove the pipe and make a huge indentation where it is rubbing with a hammer. This is the only way I think I can fix the problem for the time being. I would put back the stock pipes but they where so rusted I pretty much destroyed them. This is complete BS having to deal with this.

I am assuming Hank got some sh*ty jigs from Leistung. Hopefully he steps up and gets out pipes that fit to his customers ASAP! I dont have weeks to wait on this as my wife is about to kill me!

Any suggestion on the rear section leaking?

Last edited by dgreen78; 09-26-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:58 PM
BG305 is on a distinguished road
This thread sucks as I just ordered a set of primary and secondary car deletes from Hank. I really can't have these kind of issues as the truck is in Costa Rica and shipping is expensive and time consuming. I really hope he sends me a set that clear the cross member. Is the issue due to the 3" diameter or just the way the pipes are bent?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:07 PM
If you wrap that section of the pipe that goes over the cross member with heat wrap that would solve the "rattle" you are hearing. It's still needs to be addressed by the manufacturer and the problem needs to be fixed.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by BG305
This thread sucks as I just ordered a set of primary and secondary car deletes from Hank. I really can't have these kind of issues as the truck is in Costa Rica and shipping is expensive and time consuming. I really hope he sends me a set that clear the cross member. Is the issue due to the 3" diameter or just the way the pipes are bent?
IMO you will most likely get pipes that dont fit. Hank said he needs to get in a 957 to redo the jig. The pipes are 2.5", not 3". Thank for the heat wrap suggestion. I might just give this a try to help the rattle till it is resolved.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:29 PM
I just sent him an email letting him know I really need them to fit the first time. The heat wrap will get the metal on metal contact until you get a new set.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:59 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Do your hangers all fit? If not you may have them in on the wrong side. Mine were mis-marked and I had to swap them. If both hangers line up on both sides though that may not be your issue. I am going to get mine up this weekend to take some pics but mine fit better than all these pics.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:28 PM
loxxrider is on a distinguished road
I just installed the BB pipes on my 957 CTTS this past weekend. They fit perfectly... I guess they may be inconsistent?

Old 09-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by loxxrider
I just installed the BB pipes on my 957 CTTS this past weekend. They fit perfectly... I guess they may be inconsistent?
Do you have pics of the driver side, right above the cross brace? I want to compare if possible?

Old 09-27-2014, 12:02 AM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Looking back in my email and the instructions I got for installing mine it says that clearance will vary due to variations in how much the flex hose on the end of the downpipe sags. But it also says there should be 3/4" clear and I don't think I have that much room. I will get it up tomorrow and check things out. There has to be a simple way to fix this.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:21 AM
As I said I wrote Hank an email to let him know my concerns about the fitment and this was his response.

Hi, Brian. Thanks for the message. Just yesterday I heard about a second fitment issue on our secondaries. One 955 Turbo that I had previously heard about, and now a 957 Turbo, both rattling on the crossmember. All of our pipes are made on the same jigs, so if the issue is with two out of dozens of pipes shipped since June, then I think the issue might be with fabrication inconsistencies. However, if there are more instances that I don't know about then the issue might be with the jigs.

We obtained the jigs from LMS and have wanted an opportunity to install parts on an actual car, to verify the accuracy of the jigs.

Clearance on your pipes is even more critical with the 3" tube.

I will have a car in the shop next week beginning on Oct. 6; that will allow me to check fitment on all of our parts and also to perform R&D on our 3" midpipe. We have already fabricated your secondary but I will plan to wait t o send it until I can get that car in next week, to verify fitment.

Quality and customer service are my priorities. During the week of Oct. 6 I am diagnosing and making new pipes for the customers who advised me of their fitment issues, and will make sure that yours fit correctly before they ship. I'll keep you posted.

If you are on the forums, please feel free to share this message and please ask if anyone else has issues. I am available via phone or email ( info@hanksvillehotrods.com ) and welcome feedback and pictures to help me to fix the issues. I'll also add this to my blog on www.hhrproducts.com. Thanks.

Hank
Hanksville Hot Rods, inc.

At the end of the day this is the type of vendor I want to do Buissness with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bypass install fitment issues suggestions?