Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Headlight Harness modification

Old 10-08-2014, 12:22 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Headlight Harness modification

I saw from several threads on this and other CTT related forums, that some people with headlight issues (cornering lights, etc), have taken the step to connect the headlight harness directly to the headlight assembly (presumably by cutting off the plastic piece which holds the connector in place at the rear of the headlight tray. This has apparently resolved many connectivity issues.

I wanted to see if there are many on here who have done this and what exactly they did. Was it a dremel tool job to cut off the plastic pieces holding the connector in place, what specifically was cut/removed.

It appears that once you go this way, there is no going back unless you replece the entire headlight tray, so wanted to see more details before I make my choices.

I have had the infamous check right cornering light error that I cannot resolve.
Checked the bulbs - all OK.
Checked the fuse - OK.
Improved the inside headlight harness (repaired corroding wiring inside assembly to prevent shorts due to degraded shielding.
Improved one of the headlight harnesses (driver side - saw several wires shielding cracking due to old age and heat - repaired with hi heat shrink tubing to ensure shorts do not happen....did not do on pass. side but seemed a bit better than drive side.

During work, I did observe some wiring was getting corroded.

So my next step was to:
- replace harnesses (both)
if above does not work - cut off the tray tabs from connectors and plug directly into headlight before insertion into location.

Hope some can shed light on this. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:50 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
No one made this mod?
Will keep waiting. I am sure someone did this.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:12 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I did read about it but I haven't done it. I had issues with mine when I first got it. I took it apart, cleaned the connectors the best I could then droppped some Stabilant 22 on them and no more issues!

Old 10-09-2014, 03:21 PM
wintermute is on a distinguished road
My headlights are attached to harness connector and have been wired in such a way that the headlights are on permanently, even if i turn the switch to off.

Came as a bit of a shock when i tried to replace the headlight bulb. The plug has been removed from the tray and is held into the light rather crudely with a bent metal tab attached to the waterproof cover on the back. Suffice it to say it's a PIA to remove the bulbs because you have remove to the two metal retaining springs on the back cover with the light only just pulled out. There isn't much space for your hands behind there.

I'm not exactly sure why this was done but i did read for the dealer history printout that the previous owner did seem to replace corning lights rather frequently.

On the plus side i've only replaced the cornering light once in the 12 months i've owned it so i think something must have helped.