Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:46 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Fuel Filter

Recently, I was scammed by a shop and I am asking for help.

Has anyone replaced their Cayenne's "Fuel Filter?"

Porsche does not even have the Fuel Filter in its servicing schedules and it is merely a metal strainer and never needs replacing.

Can anyone contradict this?

Thank you in Advance

Old 10-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
There is a fuel filter incorporated into one of the pump modules. It is more than a metal strainer. Are you having trouble with your ride? Forget what that dumbass at the shop told you. If you need a factory service manual pm me your email address and Il give you a download via google drive.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:20 PM
gr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to allgr8ful is a name known to all
Thank you. I PM'd you and will gladly accept your kind offer for a copy of the service manual.

Any idea of how often that Fuel Filter needs to be replaced?

I inquired early on about this and was told it never needs changing. Once I heard there was no replaceable fuel filter, I put in only the best hi octane name brand gas when I could.

On the Alcan Highway that was not possible yet the car seemed to run fine on their regular gas. Of course, the gas in Canada was Real Gas without any Corn.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Zuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enoughZuffenhausen955 will become famous soon enough
2015 bump....

The fuel filter for 955/957 needs to be done, before 75k/miles. What happens is the tiny paper canister element(not available separately!) becomes so clogged with inferior fuel sediment, the pressurized plastic canister it's housed in(fuel filter flange) starts to develop pressure/heat cracks on the dome portion of the flange. The result is gas will weep from the tiny dome fissures and dribble raw fuel outside the tank, while you drive. Not good...

There are two ways you can do this:
1) Replace both right and left tank flanges, sealing rings and while you are down there disturbing brittle, gas-soaked wiring and hoses....replace the two inboard fuel pumps too. Obviously, this is the most costly yet thoroughly complete option.

2) Buy a new VDO left flange(driver side) but half-disassemble it only for the new filter element, o-ring and upper flange housing dome. Basically, you are still changing a new filter, but also replacing the most failure-prone part of the entire fuel system - the plastic, upper filter flange dome. Six hex screws need to be gingerly removed, while you transfer-out the dirty filter media, o-ring and filter flange "dome" to the newer parts. It disturbs no sensitive, brittle wiring or hoses and can be done in 1/4 the time of the complete fuel pump/filter R&R(30-45min). WARNING: This method is only for merely "buying some time" to defer the complete fuel pumps....as they are not an "IF" failure......but a "WHEN" event.

Here is the YouTube video of this quick fix:

Last edited by Zuffenhausen955; 06-28-2015 at 10:26 PM.