Cayenne Turbo All Cayenne Turbo model topics

Cayenne 957 - Catch Can Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Cayenne 957 - Catch Can Install

I have had my Mishimoto Baffled Oil Catch Can installed for roughly four months and know it works well enough to re-filter the blowby oil that the stock PCV system misses. This means less oil buildup on the intake valves and higher octane fuel by reducing the amount of oil vapor coming in with the intake air.

If you have ever driven behind a boosted car after they went WOT and witnessed a large cloud of black smoke, it was most likely oil blowby being burnt. This would help mitigate this issue as well. EDIT: Some seem to disagree with this point in this thread.

To that end, I took many pictures during the process, but never had time to compile them together and put up a thread, until now...

You can view the complete 82-page Adobe PDF document below:
Also, please note that I based this off of the EVOMS V-Flow Intake I already had and was comfortable making custom AN lines.

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-28-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:46 AM
loxxrider is on a distinguished road
Thanks for taking the time to make this pdf.

Just for integrity of the knowledge around here, I have to say I disagree with your statement about the black cloud of smoke on accel. I think that is usually a temporary rich condition during max torque onset. Also, fuel smoke is black, oil is light blue. I've got plenty of experience with both rich condition smoke at boost onset and oil blowby (past turbo seals) and the two types of smoke are noticeably different.

Good point about intake valve gunk buildup though. Any way we can reduce that problem is a welcome one, especially with most modern engines being direct injected.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:44 AM
BG305 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tutorial Kent, now I have something else I want to do.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:51 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by loxxrider
Thanks for taking the time to make this pdf.

Just for integrity of the knowledge around here, I have to say I disagree with your statement about the black cloud of smoke on accel. I think that is usually a temporary rich condition during max torque onset. Also, fuel smoke is black, oil is light blue. I've got plenty of experience with both rich condition smoke at boost onset and oil blowby (past turbo seals) and the two types of smoke are noticeably different.

Good point about intake valve gunk buildup though. Any way we can reduce that problem is a welcome one, especially with most modern engines being direct injected.

Agree with black being excess fuel. Rule of thumb I always followed was black is fuel, blue is oil, white is water/coolant (depending on how much smoke/conditions at time, etc).

Definitely want to do this mod in hopes of fixing how blow-by likes to collect in the drivers side intercooler hoses on the 955. Would be nice to not have to check and drain the driver's side intercooler hose with every oil change.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Agree with black being excess fuel. Rule of thumb I always followed was black is fuel, blue is oil, white is water/coolant (depending on how much smoke/conditions at time, etc).
You guys (and anyone else) are more than welcome to disagree. I did take running rich into consideration before making that statement and used a qualifier in that sentence as "most likely"; meaning this is somewhat opinion-oriented and not fact.

I am aware of the traditional rule of white/grey/blue/black smoke.. but in practice I always found it hard to distinguish unless it was an egregious amount of smoke.

Since this was not concrete facts, I am subject to be wrong like anyone else here.

More importantly, this was the weakest argument for adding an auxiliary catch can to the stock PCV system. So if you take this argument out of the equation entirely, it is still a very strong justification for the costs.

Also, I agree. I like not pouring oil out of my chargepipes, bellow hoses, and intercooler tanks. There is another reason right there

Last edited by Renaissance.Man; 12-28-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by BG305
Thanks for the tutorial Kent, now I have something else I want to do.
Cool! I just have to verify that the 955 PCV system is dumped into the same location on the 955 as the 957 since I know the recirculating valve dumped air is routed differently between the two generations.

Let me check a few diagrams and get back to you guys...

Old 12-28-2014, 12:29 AM
Agreed- this is the only way to mitigate the issue that I know of. Given that I have cleaned my intake valve buildup three times already since owning the Cayenne, I think most people would be shocked at the state of their valves if they removed their intake manifold.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:07 PM
TT VIPER will become famous soon enough
Kent, thank you very much for the detailed write up. There is probably tons of documents out there on the benefits of oil catch can, especially in the turbo engines. You have to see it sometimes to believe it. I was shocked at the oil in the intercooler and charge lines and gunk in the intake valves when I removed them.

I also think it's a good idea to get rid of the EGR. I'm not sure if the ECU will throw a code.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 AM
aspenone will become famous soon enoughaspenone will become famous soon enough
Nice write up my freind

Old 02-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Update:

After about 5,000 miles or so (rough estimate), I decided to empty the catch while doing other work in this area of the engine bay.

Lookie, lookie at what I found.. Hard to believe this is all caught oil vapor (condensed) that would have been burned by the engine!! For reference, this is a 1 gallon Ziploc bag, not a standard sandwich bag

Old 02-22-2015, 04:38 PM
aspenone will become famous soon enoughaspenone will become famous soon enough
wow thats impressive and shows that the catch can is doing what its designed to do not just a show part

Old 04-20-2015, 02:56 PM
hahnmgh63 is on a distinguished road
Wow, that is a lot of oil. My twin-turbo Audi RS6 causes maybe 1/4 of that with the twin catch cans installed. I really need to get the cans installed on my CTTS.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
Wow, that is a lot of oil. My twin-turbo Audi RS6 causes maybe 1/4 of that with the twin catch cans installed. I really need to get the cans installed on my CTTS.
I know.. If you look closely at the revised M48 engine that is in the 958/Panamera vs the 957 CTT(S), you will see that they changed the air/oil separator location and plumbing (image below). I am sure they realized that the original design isn't as functional as it should be. This is a testament to this theory.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:56 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Cool! I just have to verify that the 955 PCV system is dumped into the same location on the 955 as the 957 since I know the recirculating valve dumped air is routed differently between the two generations.

Let me check a few diagrams and get back to you guys...
Recently acquired an '09 957 CTTS and in having the Intercoolers replaced with larger FVD versions, the driver's side Intercooler had a bunch of oil that came pouring out of it. Initially I thought I had turbo blow-by or a failing turbo, but the car only has 28,000 miles on it, runs perfectly, and makes no noise, so started looking for others with the same issue and found these threads.

I have an HHR intake similar to the Evoms one from the DIY, just purchased a Mishimoto catch can and will be doing this MOD to keep the Intercoolers clean.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Petza914; 09-17-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Petza914
I have an HHR intake similar to the Evoms one from the DIY, just purchased a Mishimoto catch can and will be doing this MOD to keep the Intercoolers clean.

Thanks for the help.
Cool! Happy modding! These engines need another catch can setup once you realize how much oil is being consumed by the engine.

Put up a thread and share with the rest of the board!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cayenne 957 - Catch Can Install