Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Any way to repair cracked carbon fiber shifter/steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:38 AM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Any way to repair cracked carbon fiber shifter/steering wheel

My Cayenne TT has the full carbon fiber interior, but the steering wheel has tons of cracks and the shifter has 3 full-length cracks. I'm just driving along and I hear it crack more every now-and-then....Arizona sun, I guess? Looks terrible, and the steering wheel has to have a cheap cover so I don't cut my hands. What a poor product from Porsche. My 300ZX is carbon fiber everywhere. Inside and out and never a single crack or yellowing?

So, Can the cracks be repaired? I would hate to replace everything to the black, but I'm not willing to pay for the all new carbon fiber parts. Just too costly and made cheaply. Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
I think it is fixable. I had some cf refinished on my 996tt. They just sand it down and re-resin it. You can always put some clear film (tint) on your front windshield to resist the uv to help protect the cf in your cayenne.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Illegal to tint the front in AZ. The cracks go all the way through. I wonder what they cost? Who does that? A body shop, upholstery place?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Contact MACarbon and ask them about refinishing. I think their are some vendors on here that refinish CF too?

Google 3m crystalline. They make a clear film that is dot legal for front windshield.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks

Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by dgreen78
Contact MACarbon and ask them about refinishing. I think their are some vendors on here that refinish CF too?

Google 3m crystalline. They make a clear film that is dot legal for front windshield.
MACarbon wants $3,500 for one steering wheel. That is insane. Looks like Im going to swap to standard black on the steering wheel, but repair the shifter. No cracks on anything else. $3,500....hahaha, for a steering wheel.

Old 03-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
paint service did that with carbon diffuser for cls63amg for me. carefully sanded down and repaint with clear laquer. was looked as new. costed about 50$

Old 03-02-2015, 07:54 PM
BG305 is on a distinguished road
Check ebay, they have CF steering wheels for a lot less that $3500.