Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Cayenne Engine Tick!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Rain Drooker is on a distinguished road
Cayenne Engine Tick!! Help!!

Hello!! I'm considering buying a cayenne. Most preferably and S model from 2004-2006. I've driven a few I'm interested in following through on and today i had one inspected at my trusted local garage Coolants pipes, cardan drive shaft, plugs, coils, wires all done! 85k on the clock. After doing much research, however, I'm stuck on the possibility of scored cylinder walls. Thus, i took a short video of the engine at idle and would greatly appreciate a diagnosis from some of the 955 experts on the forum thank you guys so much!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nTl...ature=youtu.be

Old 02-26-2015, 07:06 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Rain Drooker
Hello!! I'm considering buying a cayenne. Most preferably and S model from 2004-2006. I've driven a few I'm interested in following through on and today i had one inspected at my trusted local garage Coolants pipes, cardan drive shaft, plugs, coils, wires all done! 85k on the clock. After doing much research, however, I'm stuck on the possibility of scored cylinder walls. Thus, i took a short video of the engine at idle and would greatly appreciate a diagnosis from some of the 955 experts on the forum thank you guys so much!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nTl...ature=youtu.be
First of all I'm not an expert, only owned mine for less than a year now. But it seems pretty normal for these engines to make that noise. I was surprised how noisy mine was but since then have heard videos of several others asking the same question. If everything checks out with the mechanic it's probably good.

Also take it on the highway and at about 50mph stomp on it. Make sure it downshifts well without making a huge clunk. Should tell you how the trans valve body is doing.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
Rain Drooker is on a distinguished road
Thank you!!!!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 PM
gbratk is on a distinguished road
Normal

Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
How about a ppi with emphasis on a compression test/borescope instead of the ever popular "diagnose this sound". You want to buy a vehicle that can cost you thousands yet you come here looking for a free diagnosis......

Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 PM
BobbySpeed will become famous soon enoughBobbySpeed will become famous soon enough
Probably lifters. How long until your next oil charge? What oil are you using?

Old 04-17-2015, 11:41 AM
YBE
YBE is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gbratk
normal
+1...

Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 AM
BobbySpeed will become famous soon enoughBobbySpeed will become famous soon enough
Congeniality, Mr. Haney- try it.
If you are bothered by someone's post don't reply to it.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BobbySpeed
Congeniality, Mr. Haney- try it.
If you are bothered by someone's post don't reply to it.
I wasn't bothered at all. It's just an opinion. If you do not care to see mine then add me to your ignore list. Congeniality? Is this a Miss USA competition?

If I had a nickel for every new thread asking to diagnose a "sound" over the internet through some crappy audio/video, or someone barging in to the forum asking for answers to the most common issues that have been answered a million times a million different ways because they are too lazy to do some googling or searching of the forums, my Cayenne Turbo would have been done a long time ago.

Perhaps the forum would be dead without threads/posts like these? I'm actually very nice in person, and caring. I offer a free 10k page FSM to anybody that wants to pm me and ask. I share all the information I have, most of which is not readily available, and will be sharing a wealth of information as my build progresses. Most dealers, tuners, indys, etc. do not. They keep this information close and under wraps to gain in their own personal benefit. I'l take every chance I get to de-mystify the Cayenne and show the public that they are great vehicles and you don't have to spend a fortune to mod/maintain one. However, on the internet, tone is not generally translated well.

Maybe the fact that Im a bit dissapointed in how the moderators handle certain threads, that most posts and threads are lacking originality, and that there is a lot of stuffyness and crybabys here compared to many other auto forums, comes across in my posting. For that, I apologize.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Mr. Haney-
I think it's awesome that you are willing and able to provide such a wealth of knowledge to the members of our form. I agree with you that tone can be misunderstood over the Internet. But I also know is that people forget the tone can be misunderstood over the Internet. Get it? See that, when I said get it I meant I meant I hope you understand, not what the hell's the matter with you. Honestly. See that, I had to write honestly just to make sure my tone was understood, meaning I wholeheartedly agree with you on the tone bit. You could put a smiley at the end of your reply, but is it a sarcastic smiley? Nobody would know that either except for you or somebody who personally knows you really well. But I do have to wonder why you put Cayenne Turbo in bold- it looks like you are bragging, but there we go again with tone. So why did you put it in bold?
You are right, these cars of ours cost a lot of money. Googling is great for finding answers, and better yet, the search the forum tool is even better when you're searching for something specific about a specific. I too wish people would search for answers before posting new threads that are repeats of old threads, but when you're upset about something like your car which is very personal to many of us, people freak out and get scared that the end is near and can't see past the new thread button. We need to give people like that a little slack, because we've all been that person. Given the proper help we can earn that person's respect and that person will continue to read our forums and contribute to our knowledge, so that in the future they will be able to teach us about an issue they had and how it was resolved, because it might be different than something somebody else has experienced the same problem. Then they can also be one of us, like you and I, who wishes they would use the search tool. I think it's important to see who the OP is because then you will see that it was only the second time he/she ever posted. Knowing that the OP is only posting for the second time should helps us try to understand why they started a new thread on an old topic- maybe the OP is new to forums. Then again, maybe OP isn't and is just being lazy which pisses me off as well, except I contained myself- but there are plenty of times I get tempted to just reply the same way you did.
Keep posting, you are an asset to the Cayenne communities to which you and I belong. If you get frustrated in the future go ahead and message it to me and I will reply in unison, and hopefully You and I will get a laugh out of it. You can even rant to me about my posts and I will be good with that.
Please, if you are up for it, send me a copy of the FSM in your posession, it will be appreciated.
Live long and prosper. Be well my friend and go in peace. (stop me now before I start a swell of hippy proverbs).

BTW this is not a Miss. USA competition, but if you have pics from the swim suit part of the contest start posting them for everyone's enjoyment.

Last edited by BobbySpeed; 04-18-2015 at 01:03 PM.