Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

How do you know your shocks are on way out/used up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:27 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
How do you know your shocks are on way out/used up

How does one test their shocks to see whether they have worn out and a new set is needed?
I heard many opinions and have my own, but am curious about actual specific steps that one would take to test this.
I am talking listing steps for places to look, things to observe, to determine this.

Not interested in the 'yeah, at 100K your shocks are bound to be replaced' or 'well, the car is x years old so for sure they are bad'.
Specific quantitative data/info needed.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Bader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud ofBader996 has much to be proud of
When you get the pads sign on

Old 02-27-2015, 12:34 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
No, seriously

Old 02-28-2015, 04:22 AM
Bigbuzuki will become famous soon enough
How long is a piece of string?

Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
This is a good question actually and I have often wondered this myself....

Around 180k on the CTT last time I drove it and seemed to be the same as when I bought it @ 65k. When your shocks are toasty you WILL get cupping on your tires. Maybe find a low mileage CTT
and take it for a drive to compare?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:14 PM
There are signs to watch out for, and things that can be checked to understand if shocks need replacenent. I am sure the dealer or auto shop won't be asking themselves questions like 'are the pads lights on' or 'how long is a piece of string'.
I have my set of steer but often wondered who on here, with car work experience, can chime in to let us know your views on this topic.
So far thanks to me. Haney for contributing. Hoping others can provide some actual insight into what they do to help ascertain this.
Bigbuzuki, from many of your other threads, you appear to know your at around a car, was hoping for guys like you to provide some actual actionable info. Maybe in your next post. Thanks.