Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Seat back failure solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 AM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Seat back failure solution

I found these Blue Ridge Molle panels are great quality and stop the seat back regluing I've been doing for 3 years.

100 buck's

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150506_112718.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	419802   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150506_112806.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	419803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150506_112843.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	419804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150506_112918.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	419805  
Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I haven't heard about this issue yet. Where does the back come apart?

Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 PM
TSAF NKUF is on a distinguished road
Cool. Only the driver's side was coming undone. One clip was giving me problems. Glued it real good and haven't had any problems so far.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by jdubbya
I haven't heard about this issue yet. Where does the back come apart?
Living in Texas you will find out how the seat backs are glued onto clips and they melt in our July/August heat after a few years of exposure.

I can buy 3M glue, the same glue I use to attach felt onto slate pool tables and it still fails within 2-3 months or any active use of seat's up or down. If you never put your seats up, you'll probably avoid the issue.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:10 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cordsig79
Living in Texas you will find out how the seat backs are glued onto clips and they melt in our July/August heat after a few years of exposure.

I can buy 3M glue, the same glue I use to attach felt onto slate pool tables and it still fails within 2-3 months or any active use of seat's up or down. If you never put your seats up, you'll probably avoid the issue.
Interesting. I'm up here in the cool Pacific Northwest so shouldn't have any issues. This may sound like a stupid question because I haven't seen the clip you mentioned but have you tried something other than 3M glue? Something like an epoxy or super glue even? Maybe that wouldn't work at all, don't know.

By the way your interior looks about the same as mine with the black and wood trim. Nice!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:33 AM
Fuzzo is on a distinguished road
what an annoying problem. i end up gluing the seat backs every few months too...

are those clips available to be purchased seperately?

Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 AM
gh0stman is on a distinguished road
I saw a dealer put screws through the back of the shell into the mounting clips. I looked ugly. Grey interior with white headed screws.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Fuzzo
what an annoying problem. i end up gluing the seat backs every few months too...

are those clips available to be purchased seperately?
Yes, they are 1.99 but the gluing is the issue, and then proper alignment and staying put especially if you raise and lower the seats to move things.

If you do not actively use the Cayenne as I do, you probably will not have an issue.

180k miles, duck hunting, 3 dog hauling, and constant project movements have me up and down with the seats, against the seat back panels.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by gh0stman
I saw a dealer put screws through the back of the shell into the mounting clips. I looked ugly. Grey interior with white headed screws.
I am this close to gluing up then firing wood screws into it.......the dealer wanted 300 plus per seat to reattach.

I will be attaching more gear to the molle panels as I find value along the way.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:18 AM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
I would try a generous helping of PL Premium.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by mtnrat
I would try a generous helping of PL Premium.
I will try that this weekend!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:15 PM
mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !mtnrat Is a GOD !
Just remember to rough up the surfaces with say 40 grit so you get good grip. I have used it for all sorts of things and have yet to fail, even when holding up huge weight.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Glued mine with a generous helping of gorilla glue. They haven't moved since. The gorilla glue stays flexible and is super tough. It also wicks into the fiberboard of the seatback very well. I drilled holes in the plastic clips so that the glue could go all the way through and lock the plastic down to the fiberboard. One of the issues with gorilla glue is that it expands and foams as it dries. To combat this I used a small drop of superglue in the middle of the clip so that the gorilla glue wouldn't cause the clip to puff up and move around or slide down as it dried. I used lots of glue over the top of the clip creating a glue strap to lock it down to the fiberboard. It's very very strong.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 AM
Fuzzo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cordsig79
Yes, they are 1.99 but the gluing is the issue, and then proper alignment and staying put especially if you raise and lower the seats to move things.
are the clips which come at the bottom also available... i have broken one of mine and need to replace it the next time it comes off.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fuzzo
are the clips which come at the bottom also available... i have broken one of mine and need to replace it the next time it comes off.

A quick check of the parts diagram reveals that there is no listing for either the 3 top plastic mounts or the lower two. To be honest, my lowers are broken also. If you fix the tops, the elastic straps that hold the leather trim piece attached to the bottom of the seat back will suck the bottom of the seat back up tight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seat back failure solution